How to fix the Greek economy

ParadigmShifter

Random Nonsense Generator
I pondered this for a while, but finally came up with the solution.

Maybe they should do the washing up at the end of a meal instead of smashing all those plates.

We should deport them all to Turkey in order to Greece them up for Hungary.

That should solve it.

no more bailouts . Whatsoever ... Nowhere ...

Doesn't breaking plates mean they have to buy more plates and thus cause extra demand, and thus stimulating the economy? Soi what you are proposing here Paradigm, is making the economy shrink.

Doesn't breaking plates mean they have to buy more plates and thus cause extra demand, and thus stimulating the economy? Soi what you are proposing here Paradigm, is making the economy shrink.

Well this poster happens to think shrinking the Greek economy is one of the smarter things to do.

Collect taxes on the black economy ~ bring the black economy into the formal economy.

Not sure how to achieve this though - an amnesty

The black economy is too entrenched in the Greek society, though, and the bureaucracy is incapable of or uninterested in doing something about it.

If the problems in Greece are caused by the bureaucracy, then perhaps we should replace the bureaucrats with computers! :goodjob:

Anyway, it has never been an economic crisis. The tools for recovery and prevention are readily available, the political will just is unable to utilise these.

The black economy is too entrenched in the Greek society, though, and the bureaucracy is incapable of or uninterested in doing something about it.

This.

1) Break the entrenched interest groups whose benefits and entitlements are ruining the country;
2) Start collecting taxes from the rich, for heavens sake! It seems that to pay taxes in Greece is a thing unfamiliar to the upper middle class and the rich.
3) Slash non-productive public spending (duh);
4) Reduce the public sector by at least 50%;
5) Promote growth of modern industries.

Don't ask me how to do these things.

reduce all government spending by 75%. Yes, this will contract the economy initially, and reduce tax revenue, but it's best in the long run.

My impression is that Greece has too little bureaucracy. Or it's just absurdly ineffective for reasons that don't have anything to do with the size/degree of the bureaucracy.

reduce all government spending by 75%. Yes, this will contract the economy initially, and reduce tax revenue, but it's best in the long run.

75% ? Where does this number come from ? Did you pull it out of thin air ?

75% ? Where does this number come from ? Did you pull it out of thin air ?

pretty much, but I do believe their debt is around 170% of GDP, which is very high, and would require massive government cuts to also offset the reduced tax revenue from depressing the economy even further.

Top Bottom