How to gain more GP from City-States

Fallen_Kings

Chieftain
This idea is invented and developed by landice,ming_infinite,etc.in CIV.
Link:http://www.civclub.net/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=124152&extra=page%3D1
Adopting all policies in the Patronage tree will cause allied City-States to occasionally gift you Great People.At normal speed,a random GP is gifted every 37 turns by default,with the addition of random 0-6,if you have at least one allied CS.Each additional allied CS will reduce the turns by 1(but total subtractor can't be more than 10).To make this more attractive,the first "gift" is half time off;).

This is what we more or less know before.However,it is found recently(by landice in CIV)that,during the countdown,each time you become ally with a CS,no matter you were its ally or not at the beginning,will reduces the turns by 2.

For example:
In a standard-size map,you have finished Patronage tree and just receive a GP this turn.Suppose you have all(16) CS allied with 60 influence,and you have gifted all of them a unit 3 turns before.Now let's see what will happen:
1.A GP is gifted,so the counter is reset:
Initial counter=37+random(0-6)-10=27-33,take it 33.

2.When it comes to CS'turn,,your influence with each CS decreases to 59 or 58,so you are no longer their ally,but then your gifted unit arrives,so you gain 5 influence and become their ally again.So each CS reduces the counter by 2.
counter=33-16*2=1(in CS'turn the counter cannot be 0 or less,so if the initial counter
is 27 the counter here will still be 1)

3.When your next turn begins,the counter becomes 0 and the countdown is over,so you receive a new GP!:eek:

The tip is to make your influence fluctuate around allied level,gifting unit may be the most efficient way to do this,but you can only gift one unit every 3 turns and to make the influence drop 1.67/turn you may have to get nasty(declare war with nearby CS too often before).Other methods like gifting money,bully,DOW and even gunpowder diplomacy may work as well,but they are either ineffient or too expensive.

EDIT:My fault.This mechanic has been nerfed before and the the multiplier 2 in the second equation is actually 1.(The DEVs forgot to correct relevant notes and I didn't read XML to find this mistake.)
wrong:counter=33-16*2=1
correct:counter=33-16=17

Code:
void CvPlayer:: DoSeedGreatPeopleSpawnCounter()
{
int iNumTurns = /*37*/ GC.getMINOR_TURNS_GREAT_PEOPLE_SPAWN_BASE();

// Start at -1 since if we only have one ally we don't want to add any more
int iExtraAllies = -1;

PlayerTypes eMinor;
for(int iMinorLoop = MAX_MAJOR_CIVS; iMinorLoop < MAX_CIV_PLAYERS; iMinorLoop++)
{
eMinor = (PlayerTypes) iMinorLoop;

// Not alive
if(!GET_PLAYER(eMinor).isAlive())
continue;

if(GET_PLAYER(eMinor).GetMinorCivAI()->GetAlly() == GetID())
iExtraAllies++;
}

if(iExtraAllies > 0)
{
int iExtraAlliesChange = iExtraAllies* /*-1*/ GC.getMINOR_ADDITIONAL_ALLIES_GP_CHANGE();

iExtraAlliesChange = max(/*-10*/ GC.getMAX_MINOR_ADDITIONAL_ALLIES_GP_CHANGE(), iExtraAlliesChange);

iNumTurns += iExtraAlliesChange;
}

int iRand = /*7*/ GC.getMINOR_TURNS_GREAT_PEOPLE_SPAWN_RAND();
iNumTurns += GC.getGame().getJonRandNum(iRand, "Rand turns for Friendly Minor GreatPeople spawn");

// If we're biasing the result then decrease the number of turns
if(!IsAlliesGreatPersonBiasApplied())
{
iNumTurns *= /*50*/ GC.getMINOR_TURNS_GREAT_PEOPLE_SPAWN_BIAS_MULTIPLY();
iNumTurns /= 100;

SetAlliesGreatPersonBiasApplied(true);
}

// Modify for Game Speed
iNumTurns *= GC.getGame().getGameSpeedInfo().getGreatPeoplePercent();
iNumTurns /= 100;

if(iNumTurns < 1)
iNumTurns = 1;

SetGreatPeopleSpawnCounter(iNumTurns);
}
void CvPlayer:: DoApplyNewAllyGPBonus()
{
int iChange = /*-2*/ GC.getMINOR_ADDITIONAL_ALLIES_GP_CHANGE();(this note is wrong!)
ChangeGreatPeopleSpawnCounter(iChange);

if(GetGreatPeopleSpawnCounter() < 1)
SetGreatPeopleSpawnCounter(1);
}

Wow, that seems like a lot of "monitor and manipulate" to get this one. Probably worth it though to get a GP every few turns.

Hey Cromagnus, what can you do with this one? Maybe combine with overflow for even more bulbs?:lol:

I wanna know who will be the first to try this and then get 5 Great Admirals in a row.

Epic bug exploit FAIL!

I wanna know who will be the first to try this and then get 5 Great Admirals in a row.

Epic bug exploit FAIL!

You kidding? Explore ALL the oceans :) A great admiral is still ok, just worse than everything else

Whats with the patronage policy finisher. Did it get nerfed into oblivion? I never get great people from patronage it feels like.

You Chinese guys sure are a clever bunch, Fallen Kings!:)
Shame the civclub site is in Chinese..

I guess this exploit is bit impractical at least, but interestingly, if i understand this right, u should let the CS drop from ally to friends, then gift to boost to ally again?
That would reduce the wait by 2 turns in it self? I generally gift while still ally, not to drop the benefits i'm getting..
Then the question is, is the few turns saved in getting a GP worth the benefits dropped during the game?
Also, by the time i fill in the Patronage, the game is pretty much decided anyways, at least as i remember..

By the way, what happens if u declare war on your allied CS then make peace the same turn?
I have never done it, but i hope your influence doesnt go to 'friends' or 'allied' level, does it?

You Chinese guys sure are a clever bunch, Fallen Kings!:)
Shame the civclub site is in Chinese..

I guess this exploit is bit impractical at least, but interestingly, if i understand this right, u should let the CS drop from ally to friends, then gift to boost to ally again?
That would reduce the wait by 2 turns in it self? I generally gift while still ally, not to drop the benefits i'm getting..
Then the question is, is the few turns saved in getting a GP worth the benefits dropped during the game?
Also, by the time i fill in the Patronage, the game is pretty much decided anyways, at least as i remember..

By the way, what happens if u declare war on your allied CS then make peace the same turn?
I have never done it, but i hope your influence doesnt go to 'friends' or 'allied' level, does it?

Impractical indeed,but funny.Finding some new things in an old game is always interesting...

You could drop from and rise to ally in the same turn,thus not decrease the benefits.

You can finish patronage quite early because it is unlocked in Classic Era.But frankly speaking,right branch of Patronage is somewhat a waste of culture,especially compared with Tradition/Liberty/Piety.This exploit may make patronage finisher more viable somewhat if you have many allied CS through mission...

The best result is one GP every 3 turns,if you have enough units to gift.So the best civilization to try this may be German or Sweden(Their Great Damn Admiral is NOT USELESS!:lol:)

A little flavor to this topic: in my last game, city-states sent me a merchant of Venice - thing is, i am playing Shoshone. Funny, eh?

And it's not as useless as one might initially think. By the time i got that merchant of Venice, i had allied Zanzibar permanently having two cities: Zanzibar city itself plus Amsterdam - capital, so can't be razed, - which i "fed" to Zanzibar's forces earlier in the game. So i sent that Venice guy and "bought" Amsterdam. I did not quite expect the result:
1st, Amsterdam was given to me with following options to pick from: Puppet; Annex; Liberate. Not a shot fired. Cool huh? I picked "liberate". Instantly, Amsterdam went to its original owner (Dutch; were still present in the game), and big fat green positive line in the list of diplomatic modifiers - for liberating their people, - surely appeared. Cool huh?
2nd, Zanzibar itself was ALSO given to me, with option to Puppet, only (iirc).

Therefore, by using GP gifts from city-states, _any_ civilization can get Merchant of Venice, and then use it to buy a city-state which has some other cities under control, and then either Annex those additional cities to have them, or liberate them to get massive positive reputation towards original AI owner. Apart from AI's capitals, it's also about Indonesian cities with those unique indonesian resources within city square (those are also "indestructible"), and it's also about normal cities which were captured by the city-state few turns ago and didn't yet burn down completely (giving many good units as gifts to an allied city-state near soon-to-be-enemy AI, then in any manner make that AI to DoW that city-state, then let city-state capture those cities, then use merchant of Venice to "buy" a bunch of cities at once). And, of course, since there are separate dialogs per _each_ city - one can decide which cities he wants to keep (annex or puppet), which ones to liberate, and which ones to raze (if applicable, of course).

Result: bunch of cities (for territory, resources, anything) with no warmongering penalty whatsoever and (or) massive positive reputation towards an AI. Huh? Profit?? =)

As far as i know there's no other way to get merchant of Venice while playing any other than Venice civ. So OP's "exploit" might have this specific use - to get more Venice. :p

Yeah,CS gifts strange things sometimes.

For GP:Venice Merchant,Khan,and Archaeologist(WTF!!!)

For Military unit:Settler(if they have no military unit available to gift.Eg:research Metal Casting by IGE at the beginning.Warrior is obsoleted but military CS has nothing else to gift)

So can't expect what will happen...

You can finish patronage quite early because it is unlocked in Classic Era.But frankly speaking,right branch of Patronage is somewhat a waste of culture,especially compared with Tradition/Liberty/Piety.This exploit may make patronage finisher more viable somewhat if you have many allied CS through mission...

Has the Chinese civ community found a use for piety? Best we can come up with is the sacred sites gambit.

Top Bottom