deleted

I'm seeing all these screen shots of people pulling off a one city science deity victory and all of their one cities had population 30+ while I'm struggling to keep it over 10.

The only time I ALMOST hit 30 pop was by going religion on prince difficulty and grabbing the feed the world and gudwara beliefs. But if you read what these guys did, they all ditched religion completely so....

What am I missing?
I'm curious as well. There's the obvious, use Owls with Portugal to max out your trade routes and wet them to max food, build as many farms as possible. I've not really tried it, but it seems very difficult to pull off and get a stable population. Amenities would be a problem as well.

I'm no expert on OCC, but the keys to grow large are food/housing/amenities.

In terms of housing, the simplest ways are base housing (5 on fresh water) + 2 (granary) + 3 (improvements) + 2 (sewer) + 1 (barracks) + 1 (university) + 4 (audience chamber) = 18 by the mid-game, not even counting neighbourhoods, Temple of Artemis or other sources like that.

Amenities can be a challenge too, but with only 1 city, it's actually not too hard. Between the Audience Chamber, the entertainment complex buildings, and lux you find around and from CS, and possibly even more if you have a nice Temple of Artemis spot, the couple times I've tried a OCC I've generally been swimming in them.

Food can be tricky too, since you don't have any internal trade routes. But especially late game, allies give your trade routes a great source of food, and then otherwise you just need to make sure you have some high food tiles around. 50 food isn't actually terribly hard to get, if you have a bunch of 4+ food tiles to work, and then can find a few other sources of food. Especially in the modern era you can fully use lands, and if you're strategic in farming outside of your main core to boost the workable tiles, it can be done. It will depend on the map a lot, though, an you have to very carefully plan things out.

I'm seeing all these screen shots
Link? I've done some OCC in the past, I think 30+ is doable, but it IS a lot for one city not supported by lots of trade routes it gets from other cities. If you have a link to some examples, we can probably deduct how they did it.

The Jane Drew & John Roebling great engineers + Mausoleum helps for the amenities and housing.

Also in Corporations, Cocoa/Honey/Salt/Sugar for the housing and +growth rate.

I've done a few OCCs. You can see them under my playlists here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/neapol1s/playlists

(My channel isn't monetized, so this is *not* an advertisement).

The largest city I've gotten in a OCC was 31, and that time was with Kongo, who get the Mbanza much earlier than the Neighborhood, and also get a food benefit from Artifacts. The Temple of Artemis helped a lot too, with extra food, housing and amenities. That playlist is here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSHC8EY_DP0tm3ZI-VcWSyf8vhdf669Si

The next largest was a population 29. Again the Temple of Artemis helped. There were also a lot of food--providing bonus resources as well as a river to provide housing and a water fill. That playlist is here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSHC8EY_DP0tb1_-MJLJv-ScJIZ66Oc4p

At least in my experience, you don't need to get a city up to population 30 to win a OCC. The most important aspect of population growth is having enough population to support districts. Past a population of 22, which will support 8 districts, extra population is nice but not really necessary. If you need more districts than the population can provide, the Great Engineers Bi Sheng and Ada Lovelace will help with that. Playing as Germany helps too with the district limit.

I've done a few OCCs.
A few??? :crazyeye: Looks like dozens! You must really love them.

@RoboEmperor : the reddit examples you show tell part of the story:
enough food (farms, trade routes, temple of artemis, etc.) + enough housing (farms, aqueduct, neighborhood, etc.) + enough amenities (extra % of all yields with high amenities) + TIME (on of the examples was in 1954, that's a lot of turns) makes it possible to get this huge cities even on an OCC.

In the Community Challenge thread (in this part of the forum) recently we had a little competition to get huge cities within a certain time. Have a look over there to get an idea how to make cities tall. And @JKuan has lots of examples to see for yourself how to get a huge city on deity OCC.

Have fun!

@Bangau I mostly just don't have the time or attention span to micromanage a lot of cities. It's also why I play on Online speed. I like being able to finish a game in 4-5 hours.

I went through my playlists and looked for the *smallest* city with an OCC victory. This one ended with a size 16 city:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSHC8EY_DP0tIISHtrVqjZkmdDI3u1ogu

with a Holy Site, Campus, Theatre Square, Commercial Hub, Industrial Zone and Government Plaza. But I cheesed a little bit by playing as Norway on a Terra map.

The next smallest city was on a Shuffle Map, which ended with a size 18 city:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSHC8EY_DP0vIXI1P8uYShPMYGDH9YKST

with a Campus, Theatre Square, Commercial Hub, Industrial Zone, Government Plaza and a Harbor. (Again, this is not an advertisement because my channel is not monetized.)

In terms of population for a OCC, I aim for a size 6 city sometime during the Ancient Era (to trigger the Inspiration for Early Empire), and a size 10 city sometime during the Classical Era (also to trigger the Inspiration for Civil Service). The next natural goalpost is to build 7 districts to inspire Civil Engineering. Urbanization needs a city of size 15 population for its inspiration, but usually that's not a problem if you haven't been building Settlers. You don't really need a size 30 city, but if you're stalling at size 10 then I think it'll be hard to win, @RoboEmperor .

I normally don't build an Aqueduct unless I want to trigger the Eureka for Military Engineering, just because tiles are often limited in a OCC. I instead slot the Insulae policy card (+1 Housing in all cities with at least 2 specialty Districts) and/or Civil Prestige (Established Governors with at least 2 Promotions provide +1 Amenity and +2 Housing.) Both of those cards reward tall play, and help with population growth.

Pity you don't have an OCC korea still, thanks for the vids. I'll definitely study them.

Something about this game really pisses me off. CIv5 and CivBE I understood everything by my 3rd playthrough and was doing OCCs really easily, but this game. I'm on like my 20th and I still have no clue wtf I'm doing.

On my recorded deity OCC win I only had 20 population when the game finished (see below). I don't see why you would need 30 population to win.

All this talk about huge OCC cities made me start up an OCC game. Probably one of the easiest: Portugal (because of all the extra trade routes), but I hadn't tried an OCC with them before. Hard to get a good map with them (bias gives them too much water most of the time), but when I found a map with enough room for some wonders and districts it went great:

Spoiler screenshot :
20210729234535_1.jpg

As you can see, I got to 43 pop with room to grow.

@RoboEmperor : try loading the attached save game if you want to see more about how to get a city like this in OCC.

Attachments

• JOÃO III 8 SCSt OCC 2107 22g WIN.Civ6Save
    3 MB · Views: 45
@Bangau Nice! Was this a scientific victory? Since I play on my iPad, I can't load your attached save game.

Having extra trade routes is definitely a boost, especially when gunning for a cultural victory in a OCC. I'll get around to paying for Gathering Storm if it ever goes on sale again.

Was this a scientific victory?
Yeah, it was. Extra trade routes really help a lot to get your city tall as well. Was lucky to have Cinguetti (or what's it called...) in the game that gave me hundreds of free faith per turn. Could buy a lot of great people with all that faith. If you don't have Gathering Storm, you probably don't know that city state, it gives every trade route faith for every follower of your major religion. Didn't found one myself, but the AI was kind enough to gift their religion to me.

Did you disable RV?
Me? No, I didn't, in my experience the chances of an AI reaching a RV with 8 players or more are very small. I played with all standard settings here, no modes enabled.

Reactions: PiR
Top Bottom