1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get a CD-ROM to work with Windows 95?

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Aphex_Twin, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Aphex_Twin

Aphex_Twin Evergreen

I have this old 200 MHz Pentium MMX with Win '95 that serves the purpose of controlling a big printer. It doesn't do a bad job, I can say...

Now, I recently installed a CD-ROM (an LG 52x MAX), that does not seem to work with the OS. I cannot maintain a Win'98 on it as I don't have a license and anything higher would strangle the weakling's circuits.

The CD-ROM drive works when I use a Win'98 boot disk with it, and the BIOS can boot from the CD, only Win'95 cannot get to it.

What I would be looking for would be either a piece of MS-DOS batch code that I can paste in autoexec.bat (I vaguely recall several years ago doing that, but unfortunately I no longer have that file), that could configure it (w/ mscdex and the likex). Or I could get one .inf file that contains the drive specifications.

The only thing I could find was a file named Gscdrom.sys, that I got when looking for LG 52x MAX Win95 drivers. I don't quite know what to do with it, or if indeed it is a driver :crazyeye: (it's not an .inf ).

I don't really need to exploit it to the max, just make the damn thing work. Any ideas?

2. Aphex_Twin

Aphex_Twin Evergreen

I fixed it :hurrah!:

Some config.sys engineering. I just feel like the the modern time traveller back in the digital stone age :crazyeye: How crude! :eek: