1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get a prize for joining a War?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ashley26ph2003, Nov 26, 2009.

1. ashley26ph2003

ashley26ph2003 Prince

hi

for ex Civ 1 want to join you to a war with Civ 2
    how can I get offers of gold/resources like when I want others to join me in a war?

2. fed1943

fed1943 Emperor

by the trade menu, as it's a trade like any other

3. naterator

naterator Bravely running away

If you want them to join your war, you have to give THEM something, they won't pay you for the privelige of doing you a favor.

If you want them to give you something in exchange for joining them in a war... I believe all you can hope for is a diplo boost for mutual military struggle, not gold or techs (for some reason).

To me, the fact that you can't sell something that you can give away freely looks like another poorly thought out diplomacy issue, maybe there's a gameplay reason i haven't thought of though...

4. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

You do have to bribe other civs to join you in a war. Before you even consider that you should look over your diplo screen and find out who is worst enemies with whom. A civ is much more likely to be bribed into war if they consider the civ you're going to be warring against a worst enemy. You should also have been working on good relations with potential allies long before you decide to declare. Next you should open a trade dialog with each of your potential allies to see if they're even willing to be bribed. If the option "Declare war on XXXXXXX" is in red then they won't even discuss going to war. Consider, too, your potential ally's unitprob. Are they a leader like Alexander or Boudica who trains a lot of units or are they a leader like Asoka or Ramesses who doesn't? Your ally won't be much help if he or she doesn't have anything to contribute.
    It's easy to overlook the fact that diplomacy is as much a part of preparing for as building units. Thoughtfully planned and executed diplomacy can make your warmongering go a lot better. The opposite can land you at the bottom of a dogpile.

5. LegionSteve

LegionSteve Motörhead

You can't get them to give you stuff in exchange for you joining in their war. All they do is ask you to help them for free, and then give you a negative diplo modifier when you say no.

The only exception (sort of) is when they are getting beaten up and they ask to become your vassal so you will join the war on their side, then at least you get a vassal out of it (assuming you can rescue them from getting killed).

6. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

You can't w/o modding.

Your prize is the enemy's cities.

7. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

Second Prize is having the enemy vassalize to another civ.
    If that other civ happens to be Monty or Shaka then you win a free trip to Dan Quayle territory.

8. KeloGBites

KeloGBites Warlord

Shaka power-blocs aren't invincible. They can be broken up, but it requires you to blitz his vassal(s) before his stack can come after you, and then sue for peace. Best period for this is Airship/Artillery/Infantry since he's usually running around with Grenadiers/Rifles by this time, unless god-forbid he vassaled a great techer, in which case you are very screwed.

9. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

You can't. You can bribe AIs to war, but they can't bribe you to war.

Essentially, it's an exploit. Considering that humans don't follow the same logic as AIs in war decisions, and tend to war much more often and more efficiently, letting them demand gifts from other AIs whenever they go to war would be a massive boost to the player.