How to get Civ4:BTS working on El Capitan and Sierra

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by Xyth, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Mistoltin

Mistoltin Chieftain

Does anyone know if this method also works for Mojave?

2. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

It does.

3. bay23

bay23 Chieftain

Can confirm, just did it again. I was getting panic attacks about losing Civ IV forever.

4. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

May become reality in whatever comes after Mojave, as it's meant tol be dropping support for 32 bit apps.

5. eligs

eligs Chieftain

Thanks for the hints and the Patch.
    Since I did not want to jeopardize my system integrity (by disabling SIP to alter the contents of the /System/Library directory) just to play an old game, I decided to install the missing framework files into /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/ and to patch the hardcoded path in the Civilization IV executable.
    I used a hex-editor ("0xED") to locate the string and change it (there are 2 occurences, overwrite the old string and zero-terminate it, leave the remaining part of the old string in place, do not shorten the file!). It works like a charm.

6. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

SIP is only disabled for the duration of installing the missing Python files, so this feels a bit excessive, but if it works it works!

EDIT: This method could have the advantage of not needing to reinstall this fix every major update. Not sure if the /Library/ location gets wiped of changes like /System/Library does.

7. eligs

eligs Chieftain

Yep, I got that. Temporarily disabled to put some files - which were provided by "some dude on the internet" - to /System/Libraries ... (what could possibly go wrong?) ;)
    I just wanted to keep that directory "vanilla" :) by patching the executable and placing the files in a less privileged directory.
    So at least this demonstrates that a less invasive (regarding SIP) possibility exists - even if one needs to poke around with a hex editor. (Another bonus: No reboot required).
    It also works for Warlords and BTS btw.

Edit: Good point regarding persistence. I just performed a major update a week ago and there is still some stuff in /Library/Frameworks (e.g. OSXFUSE) which was installed before the update. So it seems, it could survive there...

8. Guyric

Guyric Chieftain

Step 1:

Download the necessary files from here. Unpack them. You should have a folder called 'BTS El Capitan Python Fix'.

The link goes to no page, do you still have the necessary files available?

9. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

I've uploaded and attached them to the first post of this thread. Likewise for the Yosemite+ version in that thread.

10. Guyric

Guyric Chieftain

You
    You
    are awesome, thank you