How to get conquest victory?

rafisher

Chieftain
I was trying for a conquest victory but the game ended because I had won by "domination."

According to the booklet that comes with the game:
Conquest: when one civilization eliminates all rivals.

But to do that, you would certainly need to "control an overwhelming percentage of the world's land area and population" which is the definition of the domination victory.

So how to you get to conquest and bypass domination?

Thanks.

Only way to achieve Conquest in that scenario is to raze all cities to not surpass the domination limit.

This is something common if i. e. going for a Conquest-slot in HoF, but makes no sense if winning is the only goal.

You can also vassal some civs to achieve conquest victory much faster since they become, in a sense, a part of your civ after they capitulate. However, do note that the land area occupied by the vassalized civs contribute to your total land and population count (although their contribution is halved). So, if you dont want to raze too much or playing No city razing option, this is another way to achieve conquest. Still, you want to check your land and pop % often before taking another vassal.

Take note of the Victory screen. Check the land % for Dom on that screen and make sure you stay away from that number if you want a Conquest win. Only keep good cities with good food and production and raze the crap cities. As mentioned, Vassaling AIs can get you faster Conquest victory. You can gift back some of the capture cities to the vassal, which will decrease your land percentage total some.

Easiest way, ofcourse, is to play without Domination victory possible (custom game and choose what victory type want... Huge map with 17 civs without cultural/time/domination victory - long and most likely military game guaranteed).

What do you mean by "vassal some civilizations"? I don't believe I've encountered that option before.

First of all, you need Feudalism to allow you to gain vassals.

There are two ways to gain vassals. One way is the peaceful way or "peacevassaling". This can be done by entering the diplomacy screen of the civ and look for his offers. One of which is the "Vassal State" option. The civ can also voluntarily offer to be your vassal (Gandhi and Mansa Musa are notable examples of those leaders that would be willing to be vassalized peacefully).

Another way is through war in which the option of "Capitulation" in the diplo table can be used if a civ is losing the war and wants to gain peace by "surrendering" to the winning civ. In either way of gaining vassals, their main function is the same. However, the difference is that peacevassals can break out from their masters if they wanted to but capitulated civs cannot unless certain conditions are met.

One other note: Vassals were introduced in Civ IV: Warlords; if you're playing vanilla Civ IV (not Warlords or BtS), then you can't have vassals.

Only way to achieve Conquest in that scenario is to raze all cities to not surpass the domination limit.

Providing the AI produces settlers like rabbits... better to turn off domination victory at all.

Top Bottom