How to get guilds?

Wesley balestrini

Chieftain
I already have the techniques "Crop Rotation" and "Guilds", besides having 7 "Tavern" (one in the city where I intend to build the guild).

Even so, does not display the option to build the "Victuallers Guild Hall", which according to civilopedia, is a requirement to build the guild of the merchants.

I tried to switch to guild civility, but that also had no effect (just released the guilds hall building and even building it the problem continues).

Note: The "Victuallers Guild Hall" is not listed in the "National Wonders" section. It is only possible to reach him through links on other pages.

Note 2: I also test with the "crafts guild hall" and the problem is the same. Which makes me think that neither of these types of buildings can be built (although an AI civilization has founded a guild).

If you have Realistic Corporations on, you will not be able to build these. Had the same problem figuring that out myself.

Check your game settings (F8 then Settings or Ctrl-Shift-Q). My guess is the Realistic Corporations option is turned on.

When Realistic Corporations is on, Crafts/Servants/Victuallers Guild Hall cannot be built. The other guild halls, the ones that actually found a guild, will spawn randomly once 2 or more civilizations reach the technologies required.

If Realistic Corporations is not on, then there is something else at work.

Yes, the "realistic" option is enabled.
So with this option is not necessary the great merchant?

If I want to remove this option in the current game, is it possible? I found an option on the BUG screen, but it did not work. I enabled the "No auto corporation Founding" option.

Last edited:
Yes, the "realistic" option is enabled.
So with this option is not necessary the great merchant?

If I want to remove this option in the current game, is it possible? I found an option on the BUG screen, but it did not work. I enabled the "No auto corporation Founding" option.

If Realistic Corporations is on, Great Persons cannot found corporations. The only way to get a corporation is through the random spawning.

You can't turn Realistic Corporations on or off from the BUG menu. It has to be turned on or off at the beginning of the game using the Custom Game menu. I don't know if it's possible to manually hack a Civ4 saved game to turn an option on or off.

I understand.

I have a suggestion about realistic corporations:

I understand that this is supposed to simulate a "free market" without governmental manipulation. But it does not make sense for the market to be free and it is not possible for rival corporations to operate in the same city.

Example (Remembering numbers are just for illustration):

With civics equal to "corporate" where the state is supposed to manipulate the market in favor of corporations, competing corporations can not be installed in the same city (as the state promises to monopolize resources) .

In civics like "free market", rival corporations could settle in the same city but with a decrease in income (because there is competition). If on the one hand this generates less profit, on the other hand it could generate extra benefits for the citizens of that city (such as health or happiness, since consumers spend less in a competitive market without monopolies).

In this last scenario, the "Emperors Clothing" corporation could compete with the "East West Trader" (both use silk), but generating only half of the profits (+0.25 and + 0.125 respectively).

It is also possible to put more details, such as companies prioritizing to settle in cities that have not yet competition.

Note: If there is a specific place in the forum for the suggestion to be heard, I would be happy to formalize there as well.

Top Bottom