how to get maps from AI?

mao_tse_tung

Chieftain
I built marcopolo thinking the AIs will give me their location so that I know where to land. i've built so many crusaders eager to wage war, but those stingy AIs wont give me their maps. help?

After building Marco Polo you need to make the AI civs to like you. This can be done by gifting them techs until they are enthusiastic or worshipfull. Also very important is that the have the map making tech otherwise they are not able to trade maps with you. Now you should be able to get AI maps..

They will usually agree to trade maps even at "cordial" [but never below that], and will always agree at "worshipful". Both you and the other civ must have the map-making tech.

Of course, you can trade techs with the AI before offering a map trade, but I am not sure exactly how that relates to AI attitude. Rough picture = The AI will usually agree to trade techs [or even offer to trade] with an attitude of "receptive" or higher, and [if you trade] that usually improves their attitude further, but not as nearly as fast as giving away techs for free. If the computer knows there is no possible tech trade, the AI will not agree to trade.

Apparently there are some hidden factors in these negotiations which have not been discovered yet.

Sometimes you can initiate tech discussions if the AI is afraid of you (ie. offers money and/or tech as tribute). After that you could give them tech until they're feeling friendly, and then offer to trade maps. But you also need to have explored a decent amount of territory. Nobody will trade maps with you if you have only ventured a little way from your home city.

Nobody will trade maps with you if you have only ventured a little way from your home city.

Errrrm.... is this an opinion, or is it based on some careful study ? :confused:

As far as I know, the AI always trade maps if both civs have mapmaking and their attitude is "worshipful".

It's based on my own experience, which is mostly with ToT. Maybe it's different with regular Civ II.

I'll have to give this a try in my next game - I'm rarely nice or honorable enough for any of the AI civs to have a "worshipful" attitude toward me... :p

anybody know when will an enemy city appear in the Find City List (Shift + C) ? there are some cities that are still in the unexplored (fog tile) area, and yet that city's name appears in the find city list. if there's somehow a way to make them appear in the find city list, i can cut back the exploration time. thanks

If an undiscovered AI city has a wonder, it will appear in the find city list. The map will center over such a city, but the area will still be "blacked out". This will give you the location of the city and you can than head right for it.

I don't have the MGE version. I don't even know what that is. My ToT game is a standalone.

Is there a difference between vanilla Civ2 and MGE/ToT? I believe the AI is more aggressive and unreasonable in MGE and I guess that attitude would make it harder to get maps!
What you said.

I don't have the MGE version. I don't even know what that is.
Multi-player Gold Edition. It's the version of Civ2 that precedes ToT and follows FW (vanilla + Fantastic Worlds expansion). The aggressive AI diplomacy model was introduced in MGE; a lazy attempt to make the game more challenging. This was inherited by ToT. I can't think of anyone who considers it an improvement to the game, as all diplomacy is now pretty one-dimensional. If it weren't for this, vanilla Civ2 would've been made obsolete long ago.

... the AI is more aggressive and unreasonable in MGE and I guess that attitude would make it harder to get maps!

True. But certainly not impossible. As far as I know, the MGE hostility kicks in 1 or 2 turns after contact. So, if you can build Marco, make contact, and trade maps all in one turn, which isn't very hard, then MGE = vanilla.

A difference occurs if you want a second map trade later on. Then the hostile MGE AI may require more gifts before getting to Cordial. Or you may already be at war.

As a conquest player, the MGE AI doesn't bother me much, so I often play MGE for the slightly improved game interface. But I play most serious games (eg GOTMs) with Vanilla, and I guess most landing players prefer Vanilla, since they probably depend more on long-term diplomacy, for tech trades, etc.

True. But certainly not impossible. As far as I know, the MGE hostility kicks in 1 or 2 turns after contact. So, if you can build Marco, make contact, and trade maps all in one turn, which isn't very hard, then MGE = vanilla.

A difference occurs if you want a second map trade later on. Then the hostile MGE AI may require more gifts before getting to Cordial. Or you may already be at war.

As a conquest player, the MGE AI doesn't bother me much, so I often play MGE for the slightly improved game interface. But I play most serious games (eg GOTMs) with Vanilla, and I guess most landing players prefer Vanilla, since they probably depend more on long-term diplomacy, for tech trades, etc.

Yes thats true. We don't want an hostile AI.
When playing a landing game I don't want a lot of wars with the AI. Techtrade and caravan and freight deliveries are also important....It's a waste of money and sciencebeakers if a deliverie will not arrive......

I love civ 2.42. Unfortunately, my main PC runs a 64 bit OS. 16 bit programs, like civ 2.42 just can't run. I can run mge OK with the Mastermindx 64 bit patch, but the Hostile AI is such a pain, that the game is no longer fun. I recall that there was such a patch around, but so far, I have been unable to unearth it. Does anybody know of such a patch?

I love civ 2.42. Unfortunately, my main PC runs a 64 bit OS. 16 bit programs, like civ 2.42 just can't run. I can run mge OK with the Mastermindx 64 bit patch, but the Hostile AI is such a pain, that the game is no longer fun. I recall that there was such a patch around, but so far, I have been unable to unearth it. Does anybody know of such a patch?

If it is not herethen I do not know.

I also found the slava patch, but it does not seem to do anything or work. I think it needs to be applied to mge first, then the 64 bit patch should still work, but not the other way around. I need to fiddle with them some more, but if anyone has done this successfully, then I would like to know how.

Top Bottom