How to get more envoys?

mercury_1967

Chieftain
I got an envoy with a city state by completing a quest. How do I earn/get more envoys? Just by completing quests?

The basic envoy generation comes from your government, better governments produce more (see tooltips).
The second major source I found are diplomatic policy cards.

You can earn envoys by completing quests (those envoys are immediately and automatically assigned to the CS that requested the quest). You also get envoys by accumulating influence points from your government type (higher level governments generate more influence points) and from certain diplomatic policy cards. Accumulated influence points turn into new envoys at various thresholds (varies by government type) and can be assigned immediately to any CS or "banked away" for later assignment. You can also get a free envoy from unlocking certain civics.

There are 3 ways to get envoys:
1) Envoys are generate automatically based on your government.
2) Diplo policy cards increase the rate at getting envoys
3) Completing city state quests.

Great! Thanks for the answers, guys!

Has someone mentioned that you also get a free envoy with a City-State if you are the first to discover it?

In the civics tree, if you hover over each civic tech, it tells you what it unlocks. It says 'grants 1 envoy'

Thankyou my friend! This at last explains the free envoys I've been receiving..

Really should be more clear..

Thankyou my friend! This at last explains the free envoys I've been receiving..

Really should be more clear..

Yes it is quite unclear, as with most things in this game.

Best ways of getting more envoys than you could ever possibly need-

Divine Spark pantheon (my favourite by far)
Diplomatic Policy Card that grants 2 extra point generation a turn (I have this from the moment I get it until the end of the game)
Free envoys from civic tree
City state quests
Meeting a city state before any other Civ
Great People (merchants probably. Can't remember off hand. There are a few though.)
And I think liberating city states from the AI grants you a handful. Or at least should. I only liberate city states I already had envoys in/was suzerain of

Honestly, no unlock should ever only be visible in the tooltip of a tech/civic.
No idea why they didn't make these into proper icons.

The same problem exists with Improvement-Yield-Changes that are unlocked by technologies.

Honestly, no unlock should ever only be visible in the tooltip of a tech/civic.
No idea why they didn't make these into proper icons.

The same problem exists with Improvement-Yield-Changes that are unlocked by technologies.

THIS

Top Bottom