How to get the Golden Age?

Falabello

Prince
I'm trying some games and don't have the idea of how reach the Golden Age' points.
I usually stays in about 14 points, but far away to 24...
I've read some players saying it's very easy, but didn't mencioned the level.
So, the level here is Deity. And Continents.
Also, I tried to start with 2 Scouts in my last game, but then reconized all the continent and all 3 AIs... Had Pantheon, some Good Huts, but it was not enough.
What am I missing? Ideas?

Probably missing a stronger opening?
Try going for a fast first district then government plaza, all the while improving the lux and selling so that you can purchase monuments. Also don't delay your second city. This will allow you to hit PP just in time for a golden age.

Also, take out the barbarian camps within 6 tiles of your city, it will give you 3 points easily.

Also, take out the barbarian camps within 6 tiles of your city, it will give you 3 points easily.
Easier said than done on Deity. Even a camp really close to your borders can be cleared by AIs or CSs before you have time to bring back your warrior from exploring.
That being said, i'm not sure Classical Era golden age is really worth it unless you have a very high faith output and can buy settlers with faith. The sci and culture GA are unlikely to give you a lot of additional yield (well, there's the Eureka/Inspiration boost) and you risk going into dark age in the medieval (pretty historically accurate) due to not having era points from your dedication (unless playing Tamar). Of course, if you are trying to get a DA, then you probably want to get a GA first.

Do new things. Build units and buildings you haven't built before. Explore. Change governments. DO STUFF. Doesn't have to be big stuff.

I was surprised how easily I got my first golden age.

Units and buildings have little or no effect unless they are civilization uniques. I think there's points for the first boat and first plane, maybe the first time you build a unit that uses a specific strategic resource or maybe it's only true if no other civilization has built any such unit before.
Changing government to one with more slots gives points indeed but reaching Political Philosophy in the ancient era isn't guaranteed. Getting the first tech and civic of a new era also gives points (more if you are the first civilization to reach that era but that's highly unlikely on Deity).
Oh, and Wonder Spamming is great to get era points, but again it's not really relevant to Deity.

I think it will vary greatly from game to game due to civ differences (Cree can have both their UU and UI in ancient era) and map specifics (if there's barb camps that an AI can't reach easily, they can give you a lot of points) as well as a bit of luck (being the first to find a natural wonder is 3 points so simply moving your first warrior east or west on T1 can be the difference between normal or GA in the classical era).

Best advice is probably try to benefit from one if you can get it, but don't worry too much if you can't. It's probably easier to purposefully go into a dark age than guarantee a golden age.

Reaching milestone populations ie 7,10 in your capital can give era score. Clearing barbarian camps even on deity has been fairly reliable for me in the early game unless I'm stuck at war with neighbors. Discovering natural wonders, founding cities next to said wonders, becoming suzerain of a city state first. Lots of things outside of specific dedications can give era score I actually find it more difficult to go for dark ages early on but I tend to reroll starts until I find something more to my liking.

Units and buildings have little or no effect unless they are civilization uniques. I think there's points for the first boat and first plane, maybe the first time you build a unit that uses a specific strategic resource or maybe it's only true if no other civilization has built any such unit before.
Changing government to one with more slots gives points indeed but reaching Political Philosophy in the ancient era isn't guaranteed. Getting the first tech and civic of a new era also gives points (more if you are the first civilization to reach that era but that's highly unlikely on Deity).
Oh, and Wonder Spamming is great to get era points, but again it's not really relevant to Deity.

I think it will vary greatly from game to game due to civ differences (Cree can have both their UU and UI in ancient era) and map specifics (if there's barb camps that an AI can't reach easily, they can give you a lot of points) as well as a bit of luck (being the first to find a natural wonder is 3 points so simply moving your first warrior east or west on T1 can be the difference between normal or GA in the classical era).

Best advice is probably try to benefit from one if you can get it, but don't worry too much if you can't. It's probably easier to purposefully go into a dark age than guarantee a golden age.
Temple of artemis is quite doable on deity... And the beeline to archery is by far the safest tech route anyway... Other wonders not so much unless you are China

Well, I started a Deity new game to try again, but restarted because poor map.
The second was ok, but then realized things were different... In fact, I was playing at King level :eek:
As the idea was to reach the Golden Age, I continued: So, two AIs killed and 43/24 points :lol:.
Now, back to Deity!

Attachments

• 20180212180457_1.jpg
    20180212180457_1.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 333
Probably missing a stronger opening?
Try going for a fast first district then government plaza, all the while improving the lux and selling so that you can purchase monuments. Also don't delay your second city. This will allow you to hit PP just in time for a golden age.

Get Magnus ASAP and let him chop Pyramid.

My first game I got two back to back Golden Ages, then went Dark.

It was along the following lines (lots of luck of the map here here which I'm OK with)
  • Two Natural Wonders nearby (+3 IIRC)
  • Defeat two nearby Barb camps (+4 IIRC)
  • Founding cities
  • Meeting Civs
  • Building out your special units
  • Various firsts (circumnavigation (second Golden IIRC), others
The key is aggressive eXploration and eXtermination early game racks up the points, and the bar is low too.

I also thought a card to keep in my back pocket is if I go into a Dark and want to come our Heroic to go heavy on Exploration again, like off onto another continent. That should have opportunities to harvest Golden ages.

I'm fine with being in a regular and dark age too, just happened to get lucky doing the rights things on the right map to get to Golden.

Some doable items for early points, some of which involve luck but will reward moderate exploration: (EDIT: Some of these duplicate Xmonger's list)
-- Goody huts
-- First to Natural Wonder
-- Meeting Civs
-- Defeating nearby Barb camp
-- Defeating further away Barb camp, less points.
-- Building your unique unit -- Aztecs get 4 points when the game starts from this.
-- Building your unique improvement.
-- First city in arctic terrain
-- First city in desert terrain
-- Completing the Final upgrade to your Religion.
-- Capturing a capital
-- Capturing the last city of another Civ
-- Getting a great person, more points for ones that aren't "old."
-- Building any wonder, more points for ones that aren't "old."

There's a more complete list in the next R&F section on the Civlopedia, but these are some I find that I get often just from my normal game play and without going out to look for extra event points.

I think you get + 3 for being the first suzerain of a city-state. I will try to use amani in order to get classical golden age, next game ^^

I think you get + 3 for being the first suzerain of a city-state. I will try to use amani in order to get classical golden age, next game ^^
Yep. I think it is plus 3. You don't get historic events points unless you are the first though. This is a good additional reason to explore early with the Settler lens on so you can spot Civs and CSs. The early Inspiration from meeting those CS's comes in handy, as does the initial Eureka and eventual Inspiration for meeting Civs. First to convert to a expanded form of government is another historic event as well. (And those new Civic cards for government legacies are pretty nice!). As in Vanilla, when you meat the CS first you get a free envoy and logically have a head start on getting them to suzerain. This R&F change could potentially influence you to spend your envoy points on a less rewarding CS first instead of one that's more rewarding or strategically important just to make sure you get Suzerain first and those Event points.

If you want an somewhat easy (but cheesy) way to get points do the following

1) Build x units that could take a free city fairly easily.
2) Acquire a settler
3) Place the settler where it'll have as much negative loyalty as possible, preferably in an area that won't anger your neighbors.
4) Let the city revolt
5) Use your units from step 1 to take out the units the free city spawns and take back the city
6) Repeat steps 4 and 5, gaining a lot of experience as well as +1 to GA score every time you take the city.
7) Cycle in fresh troops and let your vets come home to either play defense or expand militarily.
8 (Optional): Get the government building that provides +20% every time you conquer a city to help make up for initial cost of units and settler, as well as to provide an edge going forward.

1) Build x units that could take a free city fairly easily.
2) Acquire a settler
3) Place the settler where it'll have as much negative loyalty as possible, preferably in an area that won't anger your neighbors.
4) Let the city revolt
5) Use your units from step 1 to take out the units the free city spawns and take back the city
6) Repeat steps 4 and 5, gaining a lot of experience as well as +1 to GA score every time you take the city.
7) Cycle in fresh troops and let your vets come home to either play defense or expand militarily.
8 (Optional): Get the government building that provides +20% every time you conquer a city to help make up for initial cost of units and settler, as well as to provide an edge going forward.
Thats quite cheesy :)
Here's a slightly less cheesy way to defer your points into a new era -> instead of eliminating a civ - leave it with one small city close to the rest of (now your) cities. In a certain number of turns the city is bound to become a free city. Wait. Soon after the city will ask to join your civilization.
Now if you reject this offer in few more turns the city will flip back and resurect its original owner (assuming there's no other 'live' civ exerting pressure). Conquer to get the +4.

Ugh. Close the 'loopholes/cheats/exploits.' Just change the game so can't do it for city you ever owned or at least not same city more than once.

I agree it's a cheesy way. Personally I hope they patch that out sometime soon. But the OP asked for ways to get the golden age, and that seems to be a pretty easy way to do so. I make no moral judgments on whether or not someone uses it. :)

I agree it's a cheesy way. Personally I hope they patch that out sometime soon. But the OP asked for ways to get the golden age, and that seems to be a pretty easy way to do so. I make no moral judgments on whether or not someone uses it. :)

OTOH, using that "cheesy" method is its own punishment too. I have no problem
if a win using the exploit is satisfying to some people. They can delude
themselves all they like about what a top class player they are.

OTOH, using that "cheesy" method is its own punishment too. I have no problem
if a win using the exploit is satisfying to some people. They can delude
themselves all they like about what a top class player they are.

If I had to wager some (most?) people couldn't care less about being a "top class player".

Top Bottom