1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Get Theocratic Legacy? Is This a Glitch in the System?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by steveg700, Jan 12, 2020.

1. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Seems that the legacy policy card you get is the first of that tier's governments that you unlock.

But Monarchy will always be unlocked before Theocracy, which would make the latter legacy unobtainable.

I thought it would go to the government you spent the most turns using, but I've had situations where I used Theocracy much longer than Monarchy and still no dice.

Pretty important for competing in religion to be able to hang onto that +5 in religious combat.

2. Zdarg

Zdarg Prince

No. Which card you got depends from what goverment you have at the moment you finish a buidling in goverment district.

Babri, Ivan Hunger, XVeris and 7 others like this.
  3. ck07

ck07 Mud Mover

Playing with R&F, GS, 2/2021 update. On Turn 145 completed the Grand Master's Chapel while running Merchant Republic. Legacy policy card was not added. Is this a bug, or have missed something?

Thanks in advance.

4. Kibikus

Kibikus Prince

In one of the patches they changed it so that you only get the legacy card for a government when you adopt a government from the next tier. In your case, you would get the Merchant Republic legacy card when you adopt Democracy/Communism/Fascism.

CoconutTank, AntSou and Banazir864 like this.
  5. Vargas1

Vargas1 Prince

Are you still in Merchant Republic? One of the updates a while back made it so legacy policies are not stackable (i.e. you can't use the legacy of the government you currently have), likely related to Oligarchy stacking.

6. ck07

ck07 Mud Mover

Vargas: I changed to Monarchy a few turns later. Should I have received a card then?

Kikibus: That would mean I should not have the card yet.

Can either of you point me to documentation on this?

Thanks.

7. TCBB

TCBB Warlord

It's very simple.

For example: on T120 you switch from Monarchy (or any other government: Oligarchy, Merchant Republic, Classical Republic, etc.) to Theocracy. On T121, you finish your tier 2 government plaza building (again, doesn't matter which one); essentially, you have just 'locked in Theocratic Legacy as your future T2 wildcard slot. So when you switch to Democracy/Fascism/Communism on T150, you can now slot the Theocratic Legacy card into your government's wildcard slot.

Baigan likes this.
  8. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Monarchy is the same tier as Merchant Republic. It should only trigger when you move up to tier 3.

Keep in mind I believe you'll no longer get the legacy from Merchant Republic since you changed to Monarchy. The legacy card should be for the government you had before you moved up a tier.

You could go back to Merchant Republic, but there's an Anarchy penalty for doing so.

Wait, is that really how it works? I had never realised it was the government building that locked it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  9. cain3456

cain3456 King

Not with tech shuffle.

10. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yeah, the building locks it in. I've had some cases in the past where I would wait on the government building by a few turns to shift governments to lock in the legacy option I wanted most.

Banazir864 and Baigan like this.
  11. ck07

ck07 Mud Mover

TCBB and cain3456, thanks. yes, I am using tech shuffle.

12. Vargas1

Vargas1 Prince

I think the others are correct that you get the card when you move to the next tier of governments, not just when you switch away from your current government, though I haven't tested it myself. I can confirm that it is the completion of the building that matters - whatever government you have in a tier when you finish your government plaza building will determine the legacy card you get.

CoconutTank and AntSou like this.
  13. Baigan

Baigan Chieftain

You don't need to switch to a government in the next-highest tier to get the legacy bonus. Getting the Oligarchy bonus then switching to Autocracy was a common play of mine before the card changes.

Interestingly, if you don't adopt any of the governments in a tier you can get an extra legacy card of the next tier. There have been several games where I beelined the T3 governments and got both Democracy and Communism legacies. Of course, you're stuck with only T1 governments for a large stretch of the game and you can't build any of the mid-tier Government Plaza buildings until you're out of T1. It was more profitable back when Communism and Democracy both gave production boosts and you could double up on the legacy in your current government.