1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to have a Vassal?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ashley26ph2003, Nov 24, 2009.

1. ashley26ph2003

ashley26ph2003 Prince

hi

being player in scenarios like Napoleon
    how to have Vassal States?

2. Saiko

Saiko That one guy

You can get vassal states by winning a war and making your enemy capitulate, or if another civ is smaller and weaker than you and has a good relationship.

3. ashley26ph2003

ashley26ph2003 Prince

In my War Lords Scenario as France
    Prussia offer to be vassal

4. Saiko

Saiko That one guy

Okay, then just say yes to his offer.

5. ashley26ph2003

ashley26ph2003 Prince

I said yes and what are the benefits of thier being vassal to me?

6. Saiko

Saiko That one guy

I don't know all the benefits, but having a vassal basically means that they will be friendly with you, they have to join you in wars, and they can't declare war.

7. Gary King

Gary King Prince

I think that they also help you in reaching your Victory Conditions, such as adding to your points, your empire's land area, population, etc.?

8. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

And you can demand from them any technology or resource/gold that they have, even if it is their last. and they always comply.

9. f35acepilot

f35acepilot Needs to post more

Actually, they don't have to comply. There's a small chance that they can deny the demand, but it will force them to fight a war against you.

Yeah, half the vassal's land and half his population counts towards domination victory. Also, they have to vote for you during UN/AP votes (unless they are the other candidate).

10. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

Some notes on vassals:

Don't ever take one with only a couple cities. They won't be able to research anything meaningful for you, and won't produce enough military to be the difference in a war, so you might as well just take them out and add to your own kingdom's productivity.

Do be nice to your vassals. Vassals that have reasonably current technology can be effective attack dogs. This means keeping your vassal able to fight effectively against your enemies.

And: vassals don't have to gift you tech. They do trade it at a very favorable rate, generally. They do have to give you resources, but I try not to take the last of anything unless I desperately need a resource for a military unit or happiness/health issues.

Lastly: if you treat your vassals reasonably well and remain much more powerful than them, they won't likely revolt. I've never had it happen, not once. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be defend the border, but I don't keep a big stack on a vassal's border (except while they are still angry from a conquest).

11. w2w2w

w2w2w Warlord

pfft not when you capture japan and make them have 2 cities because you gave all the others away to your other vassal, montezuma, and then he wont give it to you even if you demand it but you cna offer him some resources you took from montezuma and hell give you whatever

12. bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer Steppin' up!

Getting more vassal's can help your empire rule the world. :muhahaha:

13. stuttrboy

stuttrboy Warlord

Feudalism is a required technology to get Vassals as well.

14. Antilogic

Antilogic --

There are two other minor effects that haven't been touched on yet:

Happiness: All your cities get +1 :), and your vassal's get a corresponding -1 :mad:

Maintenance: Your vassal's cities count towards your number of cities maintenance, so you get marginally higher maintenance cost. It's totally worth it, though.

15. Kalmah

Kalmah Chieftain

Just a question on vassaling, on a current game I'm going for domination/conquest victory with Romans, currently I have four vassals and Alexander left to destroy. In the victory conditions it says I need 56% of land area though I've read that 75% is required so I'm a bit confused. Also, how much of that % do my vassals contribute to? As it stands I have 32.17%.

16. FriendoftheDork

FriendoftheDork Keiser

Vassals give you half their territory and population towards the domination goal. If you want an easy domination it's better to conquer their territories than to vassalize them, unless they are on a different continent that it will take alot of effort to conquer.

If however you want a conquest victory you can vasalize everyone and win.

So the benefits of vassals are:

1. Access to all their resources
    2. Potential war ally.
    3. Free trade with them even under mercantilism.
    4. +1 Happiness per city (cumulative IIRC)
    5. Free access to their territory (as if open borders)
    6. You always win culture matches in your cities BFC (which can make close allies to have very little or almost no tiles to work)
    7. They cannot drag you into war or demand that you go to war with others.

Drawbacks:
    1. Increased maintenence cost for YOUR cities. So if you have a poor economy don't vassalize.
    2. Other civs may dislike you more for having vassals (jealous bastards)
    3. You cannot declare war on a vassal - which means you can probably never get their territory.

17. Kalmah

Kalmah Chieftain

Thanks man. It seems like a conquest victory is all but assured then. This'll end up being by far the quickest victory I've ever gotten as well.

18. ashley26ph2003

ashley26ph2003 Prince

How to end thier vassalage?

19. Popvox

Popvox Chieftain

As it stands there is no way to release a vassal from your control - It is the vassal who decides

Every ten turns any voluntary vassal (on'es who became vassals when not at war) can choose to end the agreement if they wish, they often won't unless they have somehow grown much stronger than you or you are forcing them to too many wars they don't want to fight

Capitulated vassals (one's who were accquired as part of a peace deal) only have this option if they meet certain requirements (half the land AND half the pop of the master, or only half the lands they started with when they entered the agreement)

In either case, if the vassal decides to break the agreement, you can either choose to peacefully let the vassal go, or you can declare war on the vassal.

The vassal agreement can also be broken if you make too many unreasonable resource demands and the vassal decides it will refuse to give up the resource. When this happens you and the vassal are instantly locked in a state of war, which is then fought in the same way that any convential war would be.

Note to f35acepilot, it is true they can refuse a resource demand, but they cannot refuse your first demand for one resource (I once assumed it was first demand altogether, so you could ask for as many as you wanted in the first demand. Needless to say Persia wern't best pleased when they're new volentary master demanded all their resources)

20. Continental Op

Continental Op Warlord

You're forgetting that vassals can totally screw up your diplo.

Once upon a time there was this game where I made a colony in a continent far, far away. And it was a real bad mistake, as I soon found out. My newfound "friend" was bugging the hell out of my neigbours while hiding behind my back, and I couldn't work out a way to rid of that annoying little weasel, which resulted in a catastrophic war. Catastrophic for me. In retrospect, could I have just demanded a city from my colony to force him to deny and declare? Or does it work that way with colonies? It's been a long time since I formed one (this was the last time), so I can't remember the mechanics.