How to have fun with this game?

misterkrazy

Chieftain
I keep hearing great things about Civilization, and I really want to like this game. Unfortunately, I've owned Civ4 (no expansions, just vanilla) for quite some time, and I've loaded it up, and I just can't have any fun with it, and I can't explain why. Is there a certain way to play that I'm missing? Do you have any tips to force myself into the more fun situations in the game, etc.?

You'd probably have to be a bit more specific about why you're not enjoying it really. But maybe it's just not a game for you.

Well, I just kind of feel like there's nothing to do. Most turns all I can do is hit the "next turn" button.

I bought this game today because of the sale in Steam, and I am in the same boat. I loved Dawn of Discovery, but this one doesn't quite catch my attention as much.

It seems all I do is pass turns, go up the tech tree, and build whatever... I must be missing something.

Personally I prefer Civ III, but I also like the different ways you can build an empire in Civ IV... you can try an economic empire and try to build the great lighthouse, of a cultural win with loads of great people.

If you are not enjoying the game maybe it is because you are playing a difficulty level that it is not yours, try playing one level up or down and see.

May I ask, what is that is the most exciting to you guys? what is your flow of the game? did your opinion of the game change after playing it a few times, or did you like it from the beginning?

May I ask, what is that is the most exciting to you guys? what is your flow of the game? did your opinion of the game change after playing it a few times, or did you like it from the beginning?
Civ1: Liked it from the beginning. Stayed up all night playing the first time I played it.
Spoiler :
Then read the manual, that helped.

Civ2: Not a radical change from Civ1, just better.

Civ3: Became frustrated with distant conquered cities that I couldn't get happy. Didn't play it much.

Civ4: The changes affected my play at first. Stopped playing because AI turns were too slow.
Years later, got a faster computer, started playing multi-player with some friends, found civFanatics. Now completely hooked on game and website.

I wouldn't use the adjective exciting to describe civ most of the time.

Civ is the defining 4X game: Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate
I enjoy growing my cities, exploring the world, and exterminating my enemies.

I never enjoyed SimCity much - no conflict, just building.
Playing the introductory levels of Civ4 is a little like that. Especially if you just choose between two selections the computer gives you.

Civ is a strategic game. It involves lots of planning and lots of decisions.

----

Your questions reminded me of a recent thread:
"Please help me to make this game fun ..." http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=362326

I thought Sisiutil's advice about setting a series of goals was very good, (to see whole quote and a link to his Beginner's guide go to thread)

Set some goals. I find this is the key concept needed for people new to Civ who are not intimidated by its complexity, but who don't quite "get it" right away. The overall goal is to win the game, but achieving a series of smaller goals is how you get there. Setting and achieving these "mini-goals" will give you focus and will also create conflict (and, thereby, interest) in the game. For example, say you want to build the Great Library, a world wonder--one of the best in the game, in fact. You don't have marble, though, which would help you build it faster. Your neighbour has marble, but he won't trade it to you. Should you go to war to get it, or would that distract you too much from your wonder goal? Should you try to butter him up through diplomacy? Found another city elsewhere to claim marble? Try to use culture to claim the marble if it's close to your borders?

Well, I'm happy to say that I'm having some fun now. Boosted the difficulty and decided to play a non-militaristic game.

It picked a huge map and paired me with a single AI on my continent, Saladin. (I was Washington) Everything was going fine until I tried to start a culture war, at which point he got Annoyed by our close borders and started cancelling trade agreements. I'm afraid he's going to declare war at any minute, so I'm building up my military and trying to decide what I should do:

1. Go across the sea, find an ally, and get them to help
2. Build a better army and destroy him directly
3. Try to make him happier

So, I'm having some fun now. Should I buy the complete edition on Steam (it's $10 right now), or keep with my Vanilla copy? In other words, are the expansions and Colonization worth $10?

For starters, if you are playing with anything automated (workers, explorers, governors, etc.), shut it off. You will then have plenty to do besides hit next turn. If that is still too slow for you try playing on quick instead of normal speed. Turn on aggressive barbarians and they will keep you occupied. If things are still too boring, try a higher difficulty. Then there is also the aspect that you have to have a bit of interest in details in your own personality to enjoy this type of game. Perhaps it is not for you.

Well, I'm happy to say that I'm having some fun now. Boosted the difficulty and decided to play a non-militaristic game.

It picked a huge map and paired me with a single AI on my continent, Saladin. (I was Washington) Everything was going fine until I tried to start a culture war, at which point he got Annoyed by our close borders and started cancelling trade agreements. I'm afraid he's going to declare war at any minute, so I'm building up my military and trying to decide what I should do:

1. Go across the sea, find an ally, and get them to help
2. Build a better army and destroy him directly
3. Try to make him happier

So, I'm having some fun now. Should I buy the complete edition on Steam (it's $10 right now), or keep with my Vanilla copy? In other words, are the expansions and Colonization worth $10?
Glad to hear you're enjoying the game more. As with stories, the principal ingredient is conflict. Fortunately, unlike a dull novel or movie, in Civ, if there isn't enough conflict you can always create some. :devil:

I would definitely urge you to spend the measly $10 and get the expansion packs. BtS is definitely worth it, adding some very enjoyable features to the game and making it more challenging.

Welcome to the forums misterkrazy and Kore! :)

You've already made your biggest step towards fun by finding this awesome Civ community! Seriously, I had zero interest in this game until this forum blew my mind with newfound Civ knowledge. Enjoy. :)

ha! yea, trying to apply all that knowledge in your own game playing can be overwhelming. If you can key in on a few things, maybe focusing on one new facet of the game each time you play, you will comfortably apply your knowledge. :)

My focus right now is on understanding which civilizations make good trading partners and allies, and conversely which ones can stab you in the back even while they're Pleased. The jerks! :p

Like others have said: ramp up the difficulty, turn off automation, and read some of the wonderful articles on this site. Makes things a lot more fun.

I owned Civ 4 vanilla for years, and played it on Settler and Chieftain difficulties off and on. Then I decided to try and actually get better, and suddenly Civ 4 is one of the best games I've ever played.

At first it seems all you do is click "next turn".
Occasionally this is interrupted by an uninteresting choice of tech research.

For these choices to be interesting they need to be meaningful.
Meaning requires knowledge.
Knowing what you should NOT do is as important as knowing what you should do.
The first "NOT do" is whatever the game suggests.
If you don't know why you are choosing something, you shouldn't be choosing it.
Make choices based on knowledge not recommendations.
The ingame Civpedia is a good source of basic knowledge.
Playing is a good source of learning how to apply that knowledge.

Do you really need to research Calendar next?
Do you even have resources that require it?
What will lead you into more health?
What will lead you into more happiness?
How long will it take to grow a cottage into a town?
Should I give in to the demands of an AI that is on the other side of his worst enemy?
What techs are good for trading?
What is a fair price for trading a resource?
Where is a good location to build a city?
... all interesting questions.

If you don't know the answers, you will probably make poor decisions.
You need to learn.

Get things moving around. If you are a little unimpressed by the start, try an "advanced start". This will get things up and running without all the waiting around.

War is what the game is all about.

This sounds kind of extreme, but in a lot of ways it's true, at least for me. My favorite victory conditions are Domination / Conquest, and there it's all about either waging war or planning for your next war. Figuring out who'll be your next target, trying to get the diplomacy in your favor for such a conflict, making sure your economy can handle it, planning for war weariness, making sure your production and techs are up to par, etc. Basically funneling all the disparate aspects of playing the game into bettering your war machine.

Even in peaceful victory games, the experience is often defined by worrying about war and figuring out how to avoid it, or at least making sure that the ones declaring on you can't really hurt you.

War, what is it good for? FUN!

Top Bottom