How to introduce a friend to Civ6? (or... how to re-learn the game again?)

Lorthirk

Chieftain
Hi all. I have been in love with Civ V, and despite not playing it that much ("only" scored 286 hours on Steam) because of having generally little time for gaming, I immediately bought VI when it was announced. I'm not regretting it a little bit, because I know has huge potential and I deeply want to love it, but somehow I'm still missing that feeling I had with V, thus only played a few games for a total of 40 hours, and only grasped some basic concepts apart from the one I already knew from Civ V.

With this desire still growing in me I convinced a friend to buy Civ VI as well in order to play together. We started a game but I feel we're both lacking the basics; this is of course true for him who is a total newcomer on the series, but it somehow worried me because I'm afraid we could both lose interest in the game (and that would be the second time for me), so I'm thinking to approach our game (or even a new one, maybe) with a different attitude so we can both learn more and actually having more fun.

So, do you have any suggestion? What could we do to improve our games?

Thanks!

Do you have the possibility to play together via hot seat as well? Because 'discovering' the game together in hot seat mode is quite fun. You see what your friend does and what problems he is facing and he sees yours, and also what worked good for each of you. You'll stumble into lots of funny situations. Choose a low difficulty and play for playing, not for winning.

I would suggest a couple of things:

1. There is a tutorial in the game, play through this a bit for maybe 30 minutes to an hour (I don't recall how far it goes) to help both your friend get up to speed, and also to shake any Civ V habits you may have.
2. Since the most recent patch they now have teams available in Multi-player. I would highly recommend using this when learning the game with someone.
3. Although they aren't great - there are some official "How To..." videos on the official Sid Meier's Civilization You Tube Channel that are designed to get new people familiar with Civ VI.

I introduced my wife to Civ V by playing a hotseat game on settler difficulty with her. We were on the same team, so we shared techs and maps and diplomacy. We played hotseat games together sometimes. We haven't done that with Civ VI, but we probably will sooner or later.

Thanks anyone for sharing their knowledge and experiences. We're currently in the middle of a team match, so I'm glad I got it right in the first place. Also I'm following the beginner tutorial on Youtube from quill18, that's about 3.5 hours of videos, that are giving me a clearer view on what should a new player learn first, so what I'm basically going to do in the next few days is using those videos as a schedule to explain my friend those concepts. Also FilthyRobot has a beginner playlist, but it's way longer (24 videos for a total of about 10 hours... too bad I can't see the exact playlist length on Youtube!) and perhaps a little bit more advanced, so I guess it should be ok to follow with that.

Unfortunately hotseats are a bit difficult for us since we have quite different schedules on our life, but I think I could reuse that tip for my girlfriend, who also wants to start Civ VI after we played V in the past.

Thanks!

A good start would probably be to play Australia and spam Campuses, Theater Squares and Commercial Hubs on the places where they have highest adjacency bonuses. That way you'll get a nice advantage (mostly on the lower difficulties, but as a more experienced player I even get them on Emperor with this strategy) and then you don't have to worry as much anymore because you'll have superior weaponry, government and everything.

Top Bottom