How to lock starting positions on map I made (custom gigantic map)?

japinard

Chieftain
Hi everyone. I'd like to do something simple. I have an ultra-gigantic map made from an existing modded map. I want to lock all the Civs (with their units) at their starting points where I've placed them on the map.

How do I do this (remember I'm not using a standard size if that matters)? I've looked all over and could not find the modding answer. I'd later like to be able to upload this to Steam, so if you include directions on how to make this work properly for upload that would be fantastic.

Thanks so much!

Open the map in world builder...goto a plot with mouse...select tab Edit Plot... Near the bottom you will see add start position...do this with each starting plot and save the map.

Did not work :( They still show up randomly everywhere.

On the top of the worldbuilder there is a scenario tab.

Have you selected the civilizations you want on your map via that tab? If so, then each starting position can be assigned a particular civilization.

At least, that is what I think... at my office, so I cannot look.

Yes I did that already. I have a feeling this is because the map is a non-standard size. It's based off GEM's giant Earth.

When you use Single Player -> Set Up Game from the main menu, the starting positions won't work, even if you check "Load Scenario". You have to use Mods -> (select mods that you use, if you don't use any then leave them unchecked) -> Next -> Single Player -> Set Up Game. Then select your map from the list, and check "Load Scenario". Then the starting positions will work.

When you use Single Player -> Set Up Game from the main menu, the starting positions won't work, even if you check "Load Scenario". You have to use Mods -> (select mods that you use, if you don't use any then leave them unchecked) -> Next -> Single Player -> Set Up Game. Then select your map from the list, and check "Load Scenario". Then the starting positions will work.

There is no "Load Scenario" button at the end point. Just "start game". If this is what you meant it doesn't work this way, but it does bring me closer to what's wrong. This was based off "Yet Not Another Map Pack" mod, and to load those maps you have to choose "Custom Game". My map does not show up in his map list there like ti does setting up a anormal map. Maybe I could edit his mod file so my Map is included?

Setup Game -> Advanced -> Choose map -> Back -> Check Load Scenario -> Start Scenario

There is no "Load Scenario" button at the end point. Just "start game". If this is what you meant it doesn't work this way, but it does bring me closer to what's wrong. This was based off "Yet Not Another Map Pack" mod, and to load those maps you have to choose "Custom Game". My map does not show up in his map list there like ti does setting up a anormal map. Maybe I could edit his mod file so my Map is included?

If you select a World Builder map as the map type you want to use, the "Load Scenario" checkbox should appear below it.

Setup Game -> Advanced -> Choose map -> Back -> Check Load Scenario -> Start Scenario

This won't work - you'll get random starting positions instead of the ones set in the World Builder.

I'm struggling with this too.

I made a Huge map in World Builder. I set the civilizations I want with the scenario tab, and set their start locations with edit plot. I saved my map and went to the ModBuddy.

In ModBuddy I went: File > New > Project > selected Map Pack > Added my map > Finish > Build Solution. It said successful.

The I opened the game. I clicked on Mods > put check marks next to the mods I want to use > Next > Single Player > Set Up Game > Advanced > Selected my map from the list > Designated the civilizations I wanted to be in game against and set the number of city states > then tried to start the game. It started a new game, and it seemed like it used my map, and the correct civs, but the START LOCATIONS were all wrong.

So I tried the above procedure over again with this change: After selecting my map from the Advanced screen, I click on Back > and checked "Load Scenario". But as soon as I hit Load Scenario it randomly picks a different Leader for me. : P

I tried various back and forth things I can't recall, but couldn't figure out how to designate the players or even just my leader, and also get it to load as scenario, and retain the start positions.

Help please. Keep in mind this all feels over my head, so please if you have any advice for me, can share any directions with every tiny step carefully and precisely written in, because I likely won't know how to fill in any blanks, even if they seem basic to you : )

Thanks much.

Has anyone a solution for this? Im trying to make a scenario with the mediterranean, but like with all you, the start positions wont lock. Tried everything in this topic

Hi : ) So I found a fix for getting my mod to keep the starting locations for each civ (attached below) ...
... BUT now I need HELP please with knowing how I make it so people can choose which civ they want to play as (currently it only lets you start as Israel).
... And also I wanted to know how I can make it so people can play multiplayer using my mod please.

As before, I still know virtually nothing about modding, so if you can explain to me what to do for a layman, in simple little steps, that would be great : )

Thanks so much

PS - if anyone is still struggling to get their starting positions to lock, here's what I found worked for me, derived from what other people here have said:

- Start Civ 5
- "Click to Continue"
- "MODS"
- "Accept" the EULA
- enable any mods you want
- "NEXT"
- "SINGLE PLAYER" (this looks like a title but is actually a menu item)
- "SET-UP GAME"
- "Advanced Setup"
- select your map from the "Map Type" menu - do NOT bother setting anything else
- "Back"
- Check the small "Load Scenario" button which is just below "Map Type"
- Select the level and pace you wish to play at
- "Start Scenario"

Top Bottom