How to majorly boost performance. If you got what it takes anyway :D

WarViking

Chieftain
I am quit sure that there are people out there that have already done this but for those who might be interested here is a “short” guide, ramble, story (whatever you want to call it) on how to speed up CIV IV A LOT :D. At least it does so in my experience. At least loading is crazy fast. Note I am only trying to share information with people that wish to speed up their game significantly IF and only IF they have the unutilized resources available. Do this at your own risk, although I really fail to see what could go wrong :D.

Before you start reading I want to point out that this “modification” is only “really” viable for people with at least 6 GB of ram (you might think WOW, that’s a lot of ram but it sure is worth it :D).

Want to know the steps, skip this section.

I have the theory that CIV IV in its nobility loads only limited amount of information from the hard drive in order to minimize its impact on the system resources. I suppose this would work wonderfully in its vanilla flavor as the information required from the hard drive (in late games) is presumably “relatively” small. When you add mods with lots and lots of custom and beautiful artwork and texture then CIV seems to run into trouble with its data seeking methods and it ultimately gets some sort of overflow error and we get some crashes and burning going on. Some researching led me to this decade old trick\solution.

For those who like reading just keep reading or skip to the instructions….

Topic: Ramdisk.

What is ramdisk? Ramdisk is a portion of memory that windows treats as hard drive. Be advised that this fake “hard drive” is actively occupying a part of your memory. That is why I suggest that people have at least 6 GB of memory. If I make a ramdisk of 4GB in size (which we will) then you only have 2 GB left of usable memory, which is STILL acceptable (but not great). More memory is always better :D.

Why is ramdisk a potential solution? If the game files are loaded into ramdisk prior to game launch you will effectively neutralize the speed of your hard drive as a performance factor when playing CIV IV (see my previous ramble). YES memory is UP TO x1000 times faster than your average hard drive :D. If I remember correctly it is like 25 times faster for sequential reading and 1100 times faster for random 4kb writes.

Why have I not (maybe) heard of this before!?! Well ramdisk has a catch. All data on ramdisk (just like in memory) is lost upon any kind of reboot or shutdown of the computer.

WHAT!!! ARE U MAD!!! No no it’s alright. The game is safe in its initial installation directory and all saves are made into the documents folder on the computer. No crucial files are lost. However time must be invested into copying the game folder to the drive prior to game launch… but the gain is worth that extra time.

That smells fishy! Do I need to modify registry. I don’t like modifying registry! No worries, the game runs perfectly no matter where it is located. You only need to copy the folders once (per restart).

Ok, so how do we do it?

1. Begin by watching this -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrecoX2nsOM
The guy is not very fast but he gives thorough enough explanation on how to get ramdisk going. DON’T worry is quit straight forward and painless. He does talk a bit about page file also, i suppose it dosn't hurt to turn it off. You can stopp watching at minute 12. Oh and since this ramdisk program limits our use to 4GB we must be smart in our space management. Don’t put your page file system on your ramdisk; leave it blank as we\you might use most of the space. And for the people who are interested, putting page file on ramdisk (a.k.a. memory) doesn’t ideologically make sense at first, but in reality it’s actually quit smart.

2. Next I recommend making a special copy of your CIV folder and put it into an “easy” location. Strip this copy of ALL its mods. Even take all the mods from vanilla CIV and the warlord expansion. Remember that you can always access those modes in the original game. This should put the game size (with both expansion packs and patch 3.19) to about ~2.6gb. Next pick your favorite modes and put them in another Independent folder (its better if you dont place them in the "stripped" game folder because you want to access them easily and you most likely only want one mod to be placed on the hard drive when you do copy it)[was that a run on sentence:mischief:]. FFH 2 is about 900 MB so together they are ~3.5gb, just below the 4 GB limit.

3. When ready copy the “stripped” game (from your easy folder) to the root of the ramdisk.

4. Next pick your mod and put it into its respective/appropriate location on the ramdisk. A.k.a F:\ Sid Meier's Civilization IV\Beyond the sword\mods

5. Launch game (from ramdisk) and be AMAZED by your newly acquired speed and blazing fast loading time.

I actually just tested some old save games from FFH 2 and rise of mankind and both worked very smooth and fast. But I really don’t have time to test this fully. Running on Windows 7 x64 with way too much ram and "only" 2.66:( Ghz i7 920. I hear fast processors seem to help:eek:

/*******************************************************************/

For the geeks or the lazy people. This batch file automatically loads the game files into the ramdisk for you :D and then launches the game.

1. Read the following code, it might look intimidating but its not very bad, the only section that you need to worry about is the xcopy. You will need to modify the path to reflect the correct game folders.

Oh and one tiny detail, I am not an expert on batch file programming but if you want to copy your "Fall from heaven II" folder then you need to put it into another folder called "fall" or something. Does that make sense. If you xcopy "Fall from heaven II" directly it will only copy the contents NOT the whole folder and you need the folder name to be there so Civ can handle it properly. Don't worry this is the only ******ed step you have to do:king: (remember to do it for both the "stripped" game folder and all mods you think you are going to use). Oh and xcopy works like this: xcopy /E "target folder" "destination folder". /E stands for copy everything... Bleh just experiment:lol:.

Make a text file and copy paste this into it. (this is really just a sample code, but it contains everything that you will ever need)

echo off
cls
COLOR 02
echo **********************************
echo Welcome
echo **********************************
echo.
echo This program will copy civ iv to the ramdisk.
echo Which mode do you want to run.
echo.
echo 1-Fall2 2-Rise 3-Exit
echo.

set /p mod=[1,2,3]?
if "%mod%"=="1" goto Fall2
if "%mod%"=="2" goto Rise
else goto EXIT

:Fall2
xcopy /E E:\backup\civ F:\
xcopy /E E:\backup\mods\fall F:\"Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods"
F:\"Sid Meier's Civilization 4"\"Beyond the Sword"\Civ4BeyondSword.exe mod=\Fall from Heaven 2"
Goto EXIT

:Rise
xcopy /E E:\backup\civ F:\
xcopy /E E:\backup\mods\rise F:\"Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods"
F:\"Sid Meier's Civilization 4"\"Beyond the Sword"\Civ4BeyondSword.exe mod=\Rise of Mankind"
Goto EXIT

:EXIT
echo bye
pause

Then save it as CivRamdisk.bat <- notice the .bat extension, very important. Just save it as "all files" and not as text files and you will be fine.

Next you run this batch file and wholla all done for you, it even gives you options between two different mods :D. Couldn't be easier.:nuke::nuke::nuke:

Don't worry about the batch file, it dosn't look pretty when the copying starts:lol:

Well there you go. I did try to eliminate spelling and making this clear ( and maybe redundant), but i can only catch so many errors when reading it for the 20th time :crazyeye::crazyeye:

cheers and enjoy - :king:

He he! This reminded me of good ol' DOS times... I will give it a try when I have that kind of memory!
Thanks a lot.

Looks like fun. Thanks for putting that together, I had never heard of this approach before. Interesting.

Might it not be worthwhile to invest in a SSD if you want simple and fast and safe? The cost being the cost of course, but it leaves your RAM free so you could save some there I guess.

Might it not be worthwhile to invest in a SSD if you want simple and fast and safe? The cost being the cost of course, but it leaves your RAM free so you could save some there I guess.

You absolutely have a valid point there. Its bit of a trade off right now.

SSD is very convenient providing fast access to "large":rolleyes: storage and saving you some time in setup, BUT even with the fastest SSD out there (the one that cost a lot of $$$ :crazyeye: and have 500mb/s write and read) I am preatty sure RAM still has about twice that (performance wise):eek:. (around 1100 mb/s for write and read).

So its a bit of a limbo right now, if you happen to have 4gb of extra ram (a.k.a about 8GB+ in total system memory) then I believe that the ramdisk is definitely the way to go in the short term. If you don't that much ram then and are wondering what to do then its a question about priority. An extra DDR 3 2gb ramdisk go as low as $30 and an 4 GB stick go as low as $40 while a 128 GB SSD goes as low as $200. (I pulled this of newegg.ca :D)

Do you want to generally improve system performance ( and CIV's:D) go with the ram.
Or do you want to improve ALL aspects of the system (start up time etc.), then I guess the SSD is the way to go. Oh and do check the specs of the SSD's before buying :D some are just awful compared to their similarly priced counterparts.

/**************************/ On other notes.

I did some more testing, loading time is definitely faster and the map dosn't lag as much when I move the camera around:goodjob:. But I still got this annoyingly long turn times on a "small" scenario map:sad:. I think it has somehting to do with the computer moving 200 units individually as opposed in one large stack..... maybe someone smart can shed some light on this, but I guess a sandy bridge 4.8 Ghz can alleviate this sillyness :)

ahhh what we don't do for Civilization 4. :king:

I'd advise against adding a single stick of RAM if you're already using a matched pair(2 sticks) of RAM. The reason being, you will go from dual channel to single channel, effectively cutting the bandwidth in half. Always use RAM in pairs.

On a side note. I only have 4GB of RAM and this game runs fine for me. It loads up in seconds, IBTs last only seconds, scrolling is silky smooth, ect... and my comp is ~2yrs old. :dunno:

I
On a side note. I only have 4GB of RAM and this game runs fine for me. It loads up in seconds, IBTs last only seconds, scrolling is silky smooth, ect... and my comp is ~2yrs old. :dunno:
What map types are we talking about, and how early in the game is it? On a small map and during the first 100 turns or so, even a 5 year old PC runs this game perfectly. I'm interested in improving performance for late game (modern era) on huge maps.

I'd advise against adding a single stick of RAM if you're already using a matched pair(2 sticks) of RAM. The reason being, you will go from dual channel to single channel, effectively cutting the bandwidth in half. Always use RAM in pairs.

Yes you are absolutely correct :goodjob:, I believe that most motherboards have duel channel nowdays.

Modern era, normal maps are fine for me. Huge maps must be the difference.

I don't know if you are playing with any mods but Civ normally launches very fast and runs quite smoothly:D
I however tend to run into performance problems when I add one of thous giant mod packs such as Rise of Mankind or Fall from heaven II.:(
The problem is this, its like when you get flat screen or something, you just don't want to go back to your old tube television. Its the same with FFH II and Rise of mankind. They are pretty badass :king:

P.S. I love your picture :goodjob:

You absolutely have a valid point there. Its bit of a trade off right now.

SSD is very convenient providing fast access to "large":rolleyes: storage and saving you some time in setup, BUT even with the fastest SSD out there (the one that cost a lot of $$$ :crazyeye: and have 500mb/s write and read) I am preatty sure RAM still has about twice that (performance wise):eek:. (around 1100 mb/s for write and read).

So its a bit of a limbo right now, if you happen to have 4gb of extra ram (a.k.a about 8GB+ in total system memory) then I believe that the ramdisk is definitely the way to go in the short term. If you don't that much ram then and are wondering what to do then its a question about priority. An extra DDR 3 2gb ramdisk go as low as $30 and an 4 GB stick go as low as $40 while a 128 GB SSD goes as low as $200. (I pulled this of newegg.ca :D)

Good points there.

There are some triple channel memory setups as well, so look at what you have to make sure. Although the triple channel is quite unusual so you would probably know if you have it. I believe it is only on some i7 and Xeon boards. In theory that would combine quite well with the ramdrive approach, that could be very quick.

Interesting. I have 18GB of triple-channel DDR3-1600 and I'm already using a 4GB RAMDisk for my BrowserCache and Windows TEMP directories, so this seems perfectly suited to me :)

I'm on vacation now and won't be at my main computer until next week, so I can't try it out yet, but I'll report back and let you know how it works out when I do!

not meant to be a necro bump but Ramdisk now has a new partner and an update.

check it out here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-DownloadableSoftware–Trials-_-32385001-L021A

or at www.radeonmemory.com

It does NOT require amd-based ram or radeon graphics cards but you do get minor benefits for co-branding with this software. the free version still allows for 4gb but if you own amd ram you can use 6gb. it also is included for free if you buy some new amd ram. it works for winXP and later OSs and for intel-based ram and cards.

i have just now discovered this software and havent tested civ with it but i found this thread searching for any benchmarks or results for civ5 so i decided to add to this thread. i watched the 25 minute video and it has side-by-side load comparisons for skyrim and far cry3 and it's kind of staggering how fast it is compared to a SSD. its worth the watch. the first 7 minutes explain what the software is and the rest is benchmark comparisons.

Wow.

This is awesome.

I got at least 10 gigs of memory that I don't need, and everyobdy knows that I love Huge :D .

The first question that came to my mind, was, "will this be worth it if I already have the fastest SSD on the market" , and it gets shown in the video :D .

Thx 4 this guys, it reminded me of my very first years when PCs were still very new (had an "awesome" 386 DX-33 with 4 MB of RAM then, and I remember that I did use that feature then already) , and I had not only totally forgotten about it, but have thought things like "omg. this is taking so long, I cannot take it, plz, let me play, I don't care what you do with your units or anything AI, just give me the next turn, plz" when playing my Sushi games, that this thread is like christmas, it's actually even better because Christmas is for kids... This however is...

(Amazing! Thx again! Love you! Will test this and give more quality feedback! Just one more turn... :D )

I've skipped on watching the video, as I was sure, that this would be "the real deal".

I've downloaded RAMDisk from one of the Links Hammer Rabbi posted.

Installing it and making it run was easier than I thought, I actually didn't read anything and it worked right from the start.

I've made tests comparing the same game, on the same turn, with, and without RAMDisk.

From what I can say now, even with having an ultra-super-mega-ueber SSD and a PC from out of the Galaxy, RAMDisk improves playing by making it between 30 and 50% faster. I tested "scrolling around the map" (which is with absolutey 0 lag using RAMDisk, even on Huge 400+ cities maps) , I've tested scrolling through the cities (which happens almost instantly with RAMDisk, there's no waiting time that can be felt when switching from one city to the next) and the time for 1 AI turn was also significantly reduced (1 minute down to less than 40s) .

Zooming out and in of the map is still a pain, but it's better with RAMDisk, and loading times (which don't matter for me, as I play without reloading) are also cut in half.

Thx again for making me aware of this awesome software.

P.S.: I could publish Youtube videos for you to see, if someone can tell me a program to easily render Videos recorded with Lagarith Lossless Codec.

I've just tried this too, but I'm less enthusiastic about the results.

For matters of comparison, I used a ultra-heavy late game save on a huge map, which is the kind of circumstances when you'd really appreciate more speed... However, although loading time was slightly faster (I gained a couple seconds out of 25), there was no measurable improvement in game smoothness (scrolling the map, accessing diplomacy, using F keys...).

So, I don't really recommend it, unless you do have more than 8Go of RAM or can afford to see your physical memory fall really low (with the 4 Go RamDisk mounted and civ loaded, my free physical memory was down to 33 Mo (yes, that's 0.033 Go).

For comparison:

The notebook I play on has 16 GB of RAM, and when running CIV with RAMDisk, 8.003 GB get used, so 8 GB RAM are so hard at the edge, that the benefits you get probably are lost again by windows running slower.

I also measured the increase in performance, and to me it was really significant, when switching through the cities i. e. , I was able to access 3 cities / second when using RAMDisk, while I'd only get 1 city / second if running normally. Note that in games with 200+ cities, the difference between 3 or 1 city / second can mean multiple minutes saved / turn.

several things should be kept in mind. this game will have a few bottlenecks regardless of RAMdisk. I was less interested in speeding up transitions from cities on large maps and more in speeding AI turn processing. I only have 8gb with 4gb being the max that I could use. i got the free version to test since it only allows for 4g anyway. i tried with 4 and it bogged everything down. (i wouldnt recommend trying with the max it says you can use.) so i tried the 2g example from the video. i also had to take a few tries at messing with the settings because i was really unfamiliar with it. my 2gb helped with later turn standard games with AI processing. (I play civ5 btw, but this thread was in the 4 forums.) only having 2gb meant that i wasnt going to install civ5 to the RAMdisk drive. If i had enough to spare to do that my late game turns would be much smoother. i think this is the best reason to use it as im only using for a minor boost until i justify buying more RAM. 2x8gb sticks arent too expensive, and higher quality ones rival the price for SSDs now that theyre cheaper. i tried 4x4gb stick prices but still a bit more than 2x8gb (based on the speeds i want).

Im just now learning why this wasnt as popular in the past. RAMdisk prior to this version didnt have saving capabilities like it does now. all the forums i read from 2011 and earlier were pissed mostly at the inability to rebuild their game actions because it wasnt saving any of it to a drive since it was all considered as temp space. so instead they were fine SSDs, even with them being as fickle as they were. now you just dedicate some backup space for it to save to when you close it. i dont really need ramdisk for other games much (although mp FPS loads are worth it) but for civ it has been a nice bonus. even if i buy it its only $20.

Top Bottom