1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make an unpurchaseable unit?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Wolfshanze, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Hello anyone and everyone...

I want to do ONE THING...

I want to make a regular combat unit that can not be purchased by any nation...

..."what's the point?" you ask? I want to "gift" this unit when a tech is reached, but I want it to be one-of-the-kind that nobody else can have or get.

Is there a way to make this happen? A way to create this unit but not have it purchaseable? How would this be done (something in XML i'm sure, but I can't think of what).

Please help with this.

2. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

I think you can do it like the animals. Make the cost -1.

But if you just copy an animal tag you'll have to change other stuff as well

3. Shqype

Shqype Shqyptar

Yep, set cost to -1 and nobody can build it. :)

4. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Ah cool... thanks!

5. Shqype

Shqype Shqyptar

Same applies to buildings and technologies (and anything else), by the way. Notice how the buildings that Great People build (Military Academy, Shrines) all have a cost of -1, but you can set them to construct those buildings as a special ability.

You can have an unresearchable tech (-1 cost), and have some event trigger giving it to a civ, or have a civ start off with that tech. The results are up to you: they can allow for a special unit only available with that tech, or some other type of bonus that you can think of.