1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make INI file?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Grohan, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Grohan

Grohan Bug-hunter

I just downloaded some of Steph's Cossacks units. Unfortunately some of them don't have INI file.
    So how can I make one?

2. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

Find a similar unit and copy & paste it's INI file, then add a "...\(location)\ " in front of the sound files if necessary (or just copy them over too). Make sure the INI name matches the name of the folder it's in, or you'll get an error.

3. FinnMcCool

FinnMcCool Crazy in the right way...

Sourboy: I haven't found any INI files. I'm using CE Conquests. Could you point out where they're located?

I've created a unit, The Tesla Missile, and I used the flics from the Cruise Missile folder. Changed all the names to Tesla Missile, added all icons, Ped- entries, all the static icons appear correctly in-game. Took the flic and made my own graphics. (Just used the Cruise Missile as a reference point and painted over it.) Ran the test scenario, and got

file not found:
    "Art\Units\Tesla Missile\Tesla Missile.INI"

I can't find an INI file in ANY unit's folder. Why is the game asking for one? Is it just because it's a new unit? And why is there no INI file in any of the new units I've downloaded? All I see are .AMB files.

Q: I took the Configuration Settings file and edited it in Notepad, but how do you save it?

Please help. Thanks.

4. black_rose

black_rose Warlord

the Configuration Settings file IS in fact the INI file. Only your computer is probably hiding the file extension.

When you save it you should call it Tesla Missile.INI

5. FinnMcCool

I answered my own question. Here goes:

I don't have the stamina to exhaustively search EVERY thread in every forum, but looking through most of the really helpful guides and tutorials, one minor detail isn't said right out, in clear words.

Open a standard units folder. See the "Configuration Settings" file. Open it in a text-editor prog (Notepad) and change all its entries for THAT unit to YOUR unit. Then, save this file as "your unit".INI and put it in your unit's folder.

Seems this is a lot like XML and other Apps, just use the text editor and save it with the extension.

Some of us out here in lalaland don't take this step quite as naturally as all the mods and aspiring mods who think of this step as assumed...

:scan: :king:

6. FinnMcCool

Sorry Grohan, if I'm hijacking your thread. (Much bowing and genuflecting...)
    But:

I'm lost. I tried making my own unit, and the static icons (city, civpedia etc) were fine, but when I use
    the unit in-game, it gets stuck.

I thought I figured out the .INI file, but now I think I'm on the wrong track. I went to

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=1980093&postcount=781

which is a thread by someone who obviously knows what he's doing. I can't even find any .INI files.
    I thought maybe the "configuration settings" file in the units folders would be it, and I edited one in
    Notepad, and saved it as "TeslaMissile.ini" and at least the game ran without the greyscreen of death.
    But when I build a Tesla Missile, it doesn't work. Won't do anything. Just sits there.

I love this game, especially because it lets me build my own units, but this is frustrating. I've made
    several units using the in-game graphics, and have succeeded, putting in-game entries to PediaIcons.
    Slavemaster, using the Inquisitor animname. Field Agent, using the Explorer animname. But I wanted
    to make my own graphics for Tesla Missile, and it doesn't work.

Please. I'd love to know what step I went wrong.

The Tesla Missile works just like a Cruise Missile, only much more damage. I created a test scenario, and
    made the Tesla Coil (which produces the Tesla Missile) and when the first TM appeared, it would be on
    the gameboard, with the bombard button displayed. Pressing it does nothing.

How I made this unit:
    1. Opened Cruise Missile in PSPAnimationShop 9.
    2. Overlayed each frame with my own Tesla Missile image.
    3. saved as Art\Units\Tesla Missile

using PSPA, at this stage there is a settings window, I chose maximum image quality settings. I asked
    myself if the pallette needs to be local, or is the Octree default good? (Also, transparency came to my
    mind, since there is some in my image. Does this preclude the graphic from being used in Civ3?)

4. Opened the Configuration Settings file in Cruise Missile with Notepad. Changed all entries from
    "CruiseMissile" to "TeslaMissile" and saved it as "TeslaMissile.ini" (please note, I made sure all spaces and
    caps were identical to the original Cruise Missile file, I'm just not looking it up as I write this.) I saved it
    in the Tesla Missile folder, of course.

5. Ran the game. Built the unit. No greyscreen of death. YIPPEEEE! Clicked on unit. Nothing happens.

Arrrrg! Am I in the doghouse or what. Do I need to make each frame in Paint with no transparency, then
    c-p them to each frame in ASP9?

7. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Elite Commander

First, make sure that your computer shows you the file extentions. For some reason Microsoft decided to hide them from people in the later Windows versions and you have to change the settings to be able to see them. The "config settings" file that you see IS the .ini file.

How did you add your unit to the game with the CivEditor? Did you copy the Cruise Missile there exactly with all the "range" settings and such so that the entry looks exactly like the Cruise missile entry? If you got the missile to show up in the game you must have something right, so it must be only a question of not getting all of the settings for the unit correctly.

Also, you should note that you need to start a new game to see the effects of any changes that you make in the CivEditor. If you load an earlier save, it will use the original settings.

8. FinnMcCool

thx Wolfwood, I think you're on the right track, anyway. I thought about that, and set up a test scenario that I could start from the beginning to test the unit each time.

First run, the unit just sat there. So I looked over the entries in Editor, and made sure all were identical. OK. Ran the scenario from turn 1, Tesla Missile appears and just sits there. I don't think the problem is editor entries. What worries me, is that I created a graphics file that doesn't fit the params of the Civ3 "pallette" or sumpin. But there's one thing I do know: and that is, I don't know. I'm only guessing. It looks like I might have to start over, and try making the frames with no transparency, but that will take a loooooong time :cry:

9. Grohan

Grohan Bug-hunter

No problem here :)