1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to minimize memory requirements?

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by stachnie, Nov 21, 2012.

1. stachnie

stachnie Theorist

My system is 32-bit Win XP PL SP 3, Intel Core2 Duo 3 GHz, 3 GB RAM, lower end NVIDIA graphics adapter with 2 GB RAM. I prefer to play Large maps. 3 GB on, Viewports enabled (40x30 or 40x40), 1280x1024, Low graphic settings. When I reach Classical era, the game starts to be unstable - more and more frequent random crashes, so in the early Renaissance they occur every a few turns. I guess my main problem is system RAM - and I cannot solve it without a BIG upgrade (new MB and processor, a lot of RAM, 64-bit OS etc.). I am about to play my current game until crashes make me to abandon it but I need some advice how to minimize memory requirements for the next games.

Perhaps I would need to:
    - play smaller maps
    - maybe switch off some memory consuming options in BUG?
    - some people suggest to play earllier versions of C2C (I play v27)
    - any other advice?

S.

2. dusckr87

dusckr87 Prince

This mod is pretty demanding on hardware, and the fact is you are going to have to play less ambitious games (smaller maps and fewer civs) to have a better experience if your system is marginal.

But, you mentioned changing OS to 64 bit, and that really isn't a "big" upgrade. If your MB can use 3GB it probably can use 4GB, and that isn't a "big" upgrade either.

3. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

It is if it needs DDR2 in from factors/speeds that are no longer produced...

4. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Have you tried this:

It might give you some more playtime.

JosEPh

5. stachnie

stachnie Theorist

@JosEPh_II: thanks! I will try that.

S.

6. dusckr87

dusckr87 Prince

I hadn't though about that, but it is the reason I scavenge as much as I can from my old/broken computers when I upgrade/buy new. Though now I have 4 floppy drives and 5 HDD that are useless...

7. CiverDan

CiverDan Warlord

I have 64 Bit Win7 4 GB RAM. Currently trying out a game on immense map (using 80x132 viewport at the moment but will shrink that as the map becomes filled up more). Before viewpots if my .sav went over 1.8 MB I would start to get MAF. My game right now is currently 2.5 MB with no issues so far. Unsure of the memory usage of a game with 80x132 vports versus a non-viewport game with a 80x132 (Huge) Map.