1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Mod Own Background or Ambience Music?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by 777, Nov 7, 2005.

1. 777

777 King

Would somebody know here how I can add or change old music files to my own. I like all the music except modern age music, I don't like that a bit. Too much dark classical, I want bit of more enjoyable music.

So how I can change modern age music to my own let's say something along 80's hardrock or thrash/hairmetal?

2. neriana

neriana Warlord

I think this should be relatively simple. There's a file called Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML\Audio\AudioDefines.xml that has the names of all the music tracks for each age in it. If you first copy your own .mp3s into the Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\Soundtracks\Modern folder, then replace the names of the modern music in the .xml with the names of your own .mp3s (making a backup of the original .xml first), that should work. I'm going to try that now myself with some jazz.

3. 777

777 King

Hey thanks a lot! :) I'll try that ASAP

4. 777

777 King

Do you know if I could add there more music than original number?

I made the thing in My Games\Civilization 4\Custom Assets\sounds\soundtrack\modern and My Games\Civilization 4\CustomAssets\xml\audio

So I still have original ones :)

Tho I haven't yet tested so I don't know if this works out, I guess that's why the custom folders are right?

5. Isildurs Heir

Isildurs Heir Chieftain

Now here's a real challenge for the Modders...

Is there a way to have two different types of music for each age? One with gut-wrenching, patriotic music for those times I am killing other Civs for war, and another set for those times when I am a peaceloving gift giver just looking for growth and friendly relations?

Something like
    "IF War = Y, play the \Modern\War folder music, else \Modern\Peace folder" kind of mod?

6. 777

777 King

Damn I did it!

Tested with modern age game and after discovering Flight hilarious Dokken - Breaking the Chains started to run :D

And I made even "80's hair" mod for it. Hee great, now I don't have tinker files again if I want back to original :)

If somebody else wants to do it, custom files in folders as above. Then create new folder in Civilization4\Mods like "mod for rock". Then create in newly made mod folder "Assets\xml\audio" folders and put there AudioDefines.XML document.

Create again new folders "Sounds\Soundtrack\modern" and put there all your songs.

Now you should have new mod called "mod for rock" and you can set it up in the game. Nifty isn't it :)

I hope I made it clear. For me it looks confusing, oh well...

7. neriana

neriana Warlord

Great to know it worked, I haven't had time to test it yet. I've been digging for my Gershwin CD, I MUST have Rhapsody in Blue.