1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to not select a tech in first 5 turns.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Gumbolt, May 20, 2014.

1. blunderwonder

blunderwonder Prince

it does apply to the stored beakers yes? that was my result, but it would have been easier to see with more bpt. 60 - > 72, but at most the per turn increase was only like 4 or 5, so it must have had an effect on the "stored" beakers.

/e

10% for just 2 civs? that sounds high, at least from what I read in that article a long time ago.

the "rounding" stuff, makes it even more ridiculous, you get 9commerce a turn with 0% science, but a 20% bonus on a 195 beaker thing, the rounding stuff is annoying,

2. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

One turn at the start is huge. It is one turn earlier everything.

If you manage to improve Pigs one turn earlier because you got Hunting (and AH) one turn earlier because of this trick, you'll produce your 2nd city 1T faster, it'll produce a settler one turn earlier and everything else. Think exponentially cause that's Civ.

3. vranasm

vranasm Deity

if I remember right the 5 turns isn't some hidden magical number checked and forced, but in reality the game checks if you have enough research to put into a tech and finish it in a turn and if you do it chooses randomly the tech you can research (if there is multiple techs able to be finish) and finishes it.

Would have to recheck things though if my theory is right (a lot of time passed since I read about this mechanic last) :).
    I guess it could be used later in the game too, but since human player will have hard time to check if he accidentally didn't trip over some tech beakers people don't use it.

4. RJM

RJM Prince

I just started 5 random games at Emperor. In none of them did I meet another civ during the first 5 turns. Maybe I was unlucky, but at the moment my conclusion is that this technique rarely adds any beakers.

5. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

If one defers research on turn 5, the deferred beakers are applied to hunting or archery (in case one started with hunting).

There will usually be an increase in early beakers using this technique, but one must allow the beakers to be applied to the desired technology, otherwise it will go to hunting or archery.

孫子武

6. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

It can vary with map settings and RNG. Also, what's the down side to doing it? There really is none unless you forget to select a tech on T5.

7. RJM

RJM Prince

The downside is only the bother of doing it. It's not to everybody's taste, but my inclination is simply to restart the game if I do meet someone and repeat the moves but delaying choice of techs.