1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to open console in Civ IV BTS Steam?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by scl004, Oct 9, 2009.

1. scl004

scl004 Chieftain

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I couldn't find anything more appropriate.

I bought the complete Civilization IV package from Steam, and I can't figure out how to open the console in Civ IV BTS. Can anyone help me?

My first problem is I can't seem to find the config file, which isn't in its usual spot with the Steam setup.

Thanks in advance!

PS: What I'm really trying to do is insert units onto a map in a game already in progress. If there's a better way, let me know and I'll do that instead. Thanks again.

2. Powerslave

Powerslave Prince

There's no console. Press control-W to enter the World Builder, a scenario editor.

3. scl004

scl004 Chieftain

Thanks! Do I need to mess with the config file first? Because I can't find it with this version.

4. Powerslave

Powerslave Prince

No need to mess with the config file. It's got nothing good in it, unless you have really specific needs, such as setting the default resolution or disabling features that cause graphical glitches. You'll probably find it in your games folder, off your home directory (...\My Games\Civ IV\Civilization4.ini), wherever your home directory is located (XP: C:\Documents & Settings; Win7: C:\Users\<username>\).

5. scl004

scl004 Chieftain

Thanks! Next question: When/where do I press CRTL-W to enter the world builder? Splash screen? Main Menu? I tried it in-game and it didn't work.

6. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Make sure when you start a game (preferably via the Custom Game option) that you don't check the box that says "Lock modified assets". Choosing that option means you won't be able to enter world builder. Normally you should be able to enter worldbuilder (ctrl+w) during a game (not the main menu).

7. Willem

Willem Deity

Another way to get into it is to hit your Esc key while playing a game. That will give you a list of available options like saving a game etc. Entering World Builder will be one of those options.

8. scl004

scl004 Chieftain

Thanks for the help, everyone. Turns out I'm an idiot noob, and I was playing a Hot Seat game, which, of course, disables the World Builder.

I feel dumb.

9. tegumentoso

tegumentoso Chieftain

is it possible to open the world builder in a game with 2 human players (hotseat)? Because in the menu i've no "world builder" option, but i really need to help my mate (cheating) :D

10. tegumentoso

tegumentoso Chieftain

oh and possibly i don't want him to find out, editing the savegame leaves no traces, right?