How to paly a open style game

shawnwilly48047

Chieftain
Sorry for sure a dumb question I just don't get how you chose the 3 different modes.

Historical Game
Random Historical Events
Open Style

Does it have anything to do with playing on a great plains map. One more thing why is it some maps start you with technology all ready . Instead of basic tank basic fighter propaganda you have then all research all ready

On the 2nd turn, you are given a choice of which option to pursue.
Enjoy.

Does it have anything to do with playing on a great plains map. One more thing why is it some maps start you with technology all ready . Instead of basic tank basic fighter propaganda you have then all research all ready

You can't choose how to play on a "normal" civ map (in fact i don't think you even should be able to play a normal civ type map) However if you play scenerios then it will come up in turn 2.

In relation to your tech question, if you are playing a custom game, you may have picked to start at a later era, while RTW as far as i know has one standard era so any "later eras" mean you have all techs researched, make sure when you play that you pick the era at the top of the drop down list in the game options menu.

In the PublicMaps folder, there are a number of "scenarios" that come with the Mod. I do not think anyone is playing on a random map starting in the ancient era.

The "scenarios" that come with the "The Road to War" ( a mod about WW2, which occurred in the 1930s and 1940s) are:

1936 Europe with Hitler as Germany's leader, it starts in 1936 and takes place in Europe, in 1936.

1936 Europe but not with Hitler as Germany's leader (some people are offended by Hitler). It also starts in 1936 and the map is of Europe.

There are more of them, occurring in either Europe or the Pacific, and starting at different times.

You may notice a pattern to the names of the files in the PublicMaps folder. The number in the name is the year the scenario starts, and the mention of Europe or Pacific designates which Theater the scenario map is of. The reason that scenarios that have bigger numbers in the name start with more technology than the scenarios with lower numbers is because more advanced technologies occur later in time than less advanced technologies. Since the numbers represent time, the bigger numbers represent more technology.

I hope this helps.

You can't choose how to play on a "normal" civ map (in fact i don't think you even should be able to play a normal civ type map) However if you play scenerios then it will come up in turn 2.

In relation to your tech question, if you are playing a custom game, you may have picked to start at a later era, while RTW as far as i know has one standard era so any "later eras" mean you have all techs researched, make sure when you play that you pick the era at the top of the drop down list in the game options menu.

Actually you can play on a normal type Civ4 map, just choose the play now option as normal. I've done it few times myself to test my own changes.

Dan

Top Bottom