1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

How to PBEM

Discussion in 'Team BABE' started by Whomp, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Let me start by saying that people should be free to post threads, open a pub, be a knucklehead but most important is to keep discussions wide open. There will eventually be some threads that will be "read only threads but that's more for organizational purposes.

I know Greebley asked for a discussion on how to pbem so here it is a tutorial and discussion thread on how to pbem.

There are a few things that are different with a pbem vs. SP. For instance, when a worker finishes a task like a chop it actually hits on the IT and applies towards the build the next turn. The worker is locked and can't move the next turn though.

Battle logs are taken because you can't see the actual battle unless you're initiating the action. IE if we attack with a 4/4 knight and take a 4/4 pike it would read something like:
    4/4 knight to 2/4 taking out 4/4 pike

Here's what you need to know on playing saves which is slightly different from SP, as well.

2. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

thanks whomp for this help...useful for people like myself.

I did figure out our mailbox at gmail, so at least I passed that hurdle

3. Tubby Rower

Tubby Rower Chronic Slacker

Team(dot)BABE(at)gmail(dot)com
    pw = combover

password for save is nuts

Whomp, did you copy the thread from KISS about how to PBEM?

It might be useful to at least provide a link

4. Whomp

I did so thanks for the link. Let's add stuff that we can come up with that's different between SP and PBEM.

5. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Another thing for people who may not have played any PBEM at all... The one thing that tripped me up on playing the D'nut turns was that I thought that the right way to load the save was via the multiplayer menu. Once someone pointed out that you do it via the main menu load, it was smooth sailing.

6. Greebley

Greebley Chieftain Supporter

I was thinking about the turn player and had the following idea:

What if we had multiple turn players. There would be a "turn Thread" where a turn player would post something like:

"Turn 1 - I got it" , double check there is no crosspost (wait a min or two before starting) then go play.

Any player could post "Hold game for discussion" if there is some issue of import that some player felt needed to work out. If something major had changed the turn player that got it might also hold the game (declaration of war from another team for example).

This has several advantages:

Fast turn around. If we have a single player assigned to play it might be a while until he can get to the game. For example, I happen to know that ThERat is in the time zone aproximately opposite mine and could grab it if everyone in the US is asleep. Add Europe and we have all times multiply covered.

The ability to "hold" the game solves the major disadvantage which is someone playing too quickly (in fact if there is a single place to post it will work better than an assigned player who might miss a post for discussion.

If a specific player wanted strongly to play then that could be posted as well.

Additionally, we could have a second thread where the turnplayer posts what happened in his turn. So the first post would be turn 1, the next would be turn 2, etc. This puts the turn details in a single thread.

I would suggest we have a collection of turnplayers who can grab the save. Others could do so by special request. Furthermore if noone has grabbed the save after say 12 hours, then anyone can grab it.

7. Tubby Rower

Greebley, that's almost exactly the way that KISS played. It worked well. Occassionally people who normally don't play would step in for a turn. So it worked out well

8. Whomp

As Tubby said that worked well for us last game. The biggest problem last game was when we lost one of our turnplayers (Grahamiam) at a crucial time and lost some continuity. Remember when BCLG (the enemy at the time) whacked a stack with buchets that were then used against us.

The good thing is many of our solid players are in different geographic zones.
    ThERat and Robi are Asian zone, BCLG, Wotan and Ynnek are Euro zone and Greebley and the rest of us are North American zone.

PS there's nothing wrong with recruiting more players you'd like to join us. I've pm'd Wackenopenair and Klarius without a response. Feel free to invite them if you think they should join us. Saber and Gong have been pretty active on the recruiting front.

9. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

cough cough me=europe

10. Butterball

Butterball Bear

Whomp, what about scout? Is he available?:nuke:
    BB

11. Whomp

I fixed it "Mr. Boy who is Catapulting Little Guys like me 100's of times from our pitboss game".

@Pops Butterball...Scoutsout has been MIA lately with job and other RL issues. I'm sure he'll join us if he has time with Gram Harriet on the team!

12. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Oh, I DO hope so! I'm very fond of him and some of the other idiots on this team. :p

13. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

I am still a little uncertain how trading deals work out but I guess once I have gone through that, I would know (obviously).

So, do we have players that negotiate with other teams? Is that done via email or pm's?

14. Whomp

Negotiating with other teams is done by email, pm and IM (MSN or AIM). This is what complicates, in a good way, how trades are done. Humans are a little more difficult to work with. :D

The good news is we have some experienced diplomats (manipulators) from the last game.

15. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Whomp is too modest to mention that he was the master manipu...um, negotiator...for team KISS last time. He was soooo smooth and had the other teams eating out of his hand. Seems like I also heard something about Bede opening his kimono in one diplo session, but I never quite figured out what that was about. :hmm:

Seriously ThERat, if you get a chance, do make it a point to at least sit in on one more more diplo chats. We found it worked best for only 1 or 2 designated members to do the talking and prevent confustion, but more of us could be there quietly to listen. I found it fascinating, and I also had the opportunity to meet members of other teams that I'd never have gotten to know otherwise. It can be loads of fun.

16. Whomp

Robi D was quite masterful in diplo, as well. The silver tongued Fe3333au is the one we need to be wary of. :D

17. Robi D

Robi D Minister of (Dis)Order

I had a chance to get a bit of experience in the area. Must say i found it fun meeting people from other teams and trying to pull the wool over their eyes. I would agree that if anyone gets a chance to even sit in on a diplo session to do so.

18. Tubby Rower

Whomp, I sent all lowercase nuts to Rik as the password. one less thing to press with my fingers. could you update the first post?

19. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

so your sessions with more members are then done via msn...will try and attend one of these (remember I live in a different time zone, so that might be a little difficult)

20. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Members of several teams are in Australia and we've always been able to work out the time differences for diplo...I'm thinking of Robi D and fe3333au specifically. Do Azzaman or Classical Hero do diplo? We'd work out the scheduling to allow for it. What is your GMT?