1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

How to play Civ5 multiplayer in virtual LAN (VPN).

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Multiplayer' started by Nefliqus, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Nefliqus

Nefliqus Chieftain

2. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Chieftain

This is very interesting, up until now the only VPN I ever found that works is the Windows vista/7 build in VPN. Can you post this in the Civplayers Civ5 general forums too please. And in your experience does this make Civ5 games any more stable? Are games able to go above 6 players consistently?

CS

3. KiffeLesBiffles

KiffeLesBiffles Do you like dogs?

Hi Nefliqus,

I installed Evolve, but it does not automaticaly detecs civ V. Did you had issues with that ? did you solved it ?

4. Adreno

Adreno Chieftain

This looks very good, I would also like to know how well it works. A bit afraid to install it, but it does seem very promising. I would love to move out of Steam completely.

5. Nefliqus

Nefliqus Chieftain

It works very well, I'm suprised that it is not popular. You have to activate all features to detect civ5, picture #2. Setting everything is a little bit hard at the beginning but after this you can play civ5 over VPN, import users list from STEAM, Facebook, Google+ and integrate it with YouTube (automatic video upload to YouTube). Additionaly it has TeamSpeak feature and very nice lobby for VPN network. Really nice tool for players.

You can add me to your Evolve friends list clicking on this link:
    https://www.evolvehq.com/recruit/friend?token=player:w1k5XxwoTmu3xcUn,friend:3XZfg53y1IcRBdWk

Link to civ5 vpn network:
    https://www.evolvehq.com/recruit/party?token=player:w1k5XxwoTmu3xcUn,party:iVS8nFP3qW31CMDU

Info in polish how to setup this VPN:
    Opis po polsku jak ustawić sobie ten VPN:
    http://forum.civilization.org.pl/viewtopic.php?p=215060#215060

Unfortunately you have to use STEAM to start Civ5 but you can switch STEAM to Offline mode or... Moderator Action: *snip* inappropriate.

6. Nefliqus

Nefliqus Chieftain

Info about civplayers VPN:

news link:
    http://www.civplayers.com/index.php?section=smf&topic=10038

7. ense7en

ense7en n7

Marked for further investigation.

Presently i cannot play with two of my friends together as MP breaks when the three of us try to get a game going online. Yay broken Steam.

8. Onan

Onan Dad

For the less technically sophisticated, what the heck is this?

Ps, please summarise in English.

9. Nefliqus

Nefliqus Chieftain

@Onan

Some good quotes:

10. KiffeLesBiffles

KiffeLesBiffles Do you like dogs?

My civ V is not recognized by Evolved...

11. Nefliqus

Nefliqus Chieftain

Just activate this options in file/preference, restart PC, start Evolve and start civ5.
    Additionaly think that game recognition is unnecessary to play civ5 in VPN anyway. To play you just have to join to or create VPN network party.

EDIT:

You can just HOSTGAME and if you would like you can associate your party with CIV5:

12. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Chieftain

Yes as I have posted at Civplayers, I'd really like to see games played using the VPN and see if it makes Civ5 more stable and if we can push the number of players reliably to 6-8 players in a game.

And the Civplayers Group with chat is here https://www.evolvehq.com/groups/922 The link above is to a "party" which is Evolve-speak for a pre-game staging room that launches the VPN for individual games. I just made a test one as did Nefliqus for the polish KAC league.

CS

13. WarningU2

WarningU2 Chieftain

Would like to see this in action ... missed where you download this from?

14. Nefliqus

Nefliqus Chieftain

15. Nefliqus

Nefliqus Chieftain

You have to switch off connection sharing in windows setup if you can't join to LAN game or launch the game as host. Restart civ5 after it.

16. Nefliqus

Nefliqus Chieftain

The "Find Game" button is very useful too. Just click it and wait for some player. Simetimes it takes 1 min, sometimes 15 min but it is the best way to find new player with civ5.

17. Gort

Gort Chieftain

Trip report - this is pretty good. I was able to play with only 15 minutes between disconnects with my two buddies. (One is my housemate on an actual LAN, the other lives half the country away)

Previous to using this, we couldn't even get past the lobby - we'd connect, and we'd both see the other disconnect after about five seconds.

18. Nefliqus

Nefliqus Chieftain

It doesn't improve game code or your connection quality. It just enable to play over VPN. Before next game just ping to your mate and test his connection quality (right click on his nick) .
    I'm sure that this is the best tool to play over vpn.

19. Gort

Gort Chieftain

OK, I chose ping, getting time=55ms or so. Does it ever stop pinging him?

Is there another option for "testing connection quality"? I don't see one.

20. Nefliqus

Nefliqus Chieftain

Ping test is good enough, it is just a game not voip system or sreaming service. 50ms pings is very good result so network is ok. Your problems are connected with bad CIV5 multiplayer functionality not with EVOLVE or LAN network. What you can do is to switch off all other programs including antyvir, launch civ5 in window mode and use DX9 option.

EDIT:
    and don't forget to change nick to some unique one, e.g. REVOLT is not unique one.