1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

how to play for America, to confidently complete all three missions?

Discussion in 'Gameplay Guides' started by alexey795, Mar 23, 2018.

1. alexey795

alexey795 Chieftain

let's start with the first one

2. soul-breathing

soul-breathing King

What's your difficulty? For regent, you can steal technology from France(capture Toronto and Halifax then gift them to France), get ballitics and capture Mexico, then the game is easy, you can get all 10 oils by capture all America(From Alaska to Brazil)

3. Orbii

Orbii Warlord

Assuming a 1700 AD start for consistency. The main problems here are that all the Euros, minus Spain, tend to have teched to a point where they have Riflemen. For UHV 1, the most important thing is to conquer quickly while setting up an economic foundation for the later UHV's; once the Euros get Machine Guns, the UHV is impossible. Overcoming the tech disparity depends on numbers and on siege; the colonies tend not to be defended well. I've done the following points on Monarch/Normal; Emperor and higher tend to be impossible b/c of Euro tech speeds letting them have Machine Guns on spawn. Raising the game speed will decrease the difficulty and urgency, as it does with all conquest-based UHV's.

TL;DR. Conquer Euro colonies ASAP. Conquer mainland cities using lots of siege, conquer Caribbean islands by island-hopping suicide strategy. Develop cities and land in the meantime so later UHV's aren't impossible. Agrarianism/Conquest should be used for the first 20 - 40 turns.
    1. Start sending two Cannons and two Minutemen north to Toronto. Frigate should head east across the Atlantic to meet Portugal, who should OB and allow your Frigate to rest safely in Ponta Delgrada. Portugal is a reliable trade partner for early luxuries (although they aren't really needed due to American UP). This should be doable before the 3 turn flip. For starting cities, I settle Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis (these four maximize number of cities in Core) and Denver (on the oil, although I hear 1S is better now). The rest of your starting stacks can be loaded into your starting Galleons. On Turn 1, I also revolt to Agrarianism and Conquest -- America needs a lot of Workers to develop your land, and Conquest helps with early stability. Cottages won't be built for some time, seeing how many improvable resources are in existence. Washington can be set to build a Barracks and then pump out Cannons/Minutemen; Detroit can serve as a secondary military pump if the initial conquests go poorly. I use Charleston and Boston to each build four Workers, since both have crappy undeveloped land, and then pump infrastructure in New York. The four new cities each have a standard starting build order of Worker--Levee--Settler--Infrastructure. Focus on improving improvable resources; cottages can wait. The starting Frigate can also city hop (via France/the Dutch), avoiding the Royal Navy, until it meets Congo. Buying about 5 slaves from them should be sufficient to improve all the plantation resources.
    2. Don't sign any Defensive Pacts with anyone you meet before the flip happens. England needs to DOW in response to the flip. You're going to be warring them quickly anyways and you need the extra units; Defensive Pacts seem to lower the chance England DOW's. Feel free to sign them afterwards (Germany, Turkey, Portugal, and Russia are good picks, because you're not DOW'ing them).
    3. After the flip, you should have a decent amount of units, including hopefully 3 - 4 Riflemen. In almost every game I have played, there also tends to be around 4 Galleons flipped between NYC/Charleston. These units, along with the bonus units you get from England's DOW (mainly the Grenadiers) are sufficient to conquer everything from the Euros, with some luck. Garrison as many as possible into Galleons, prioritizing Riflemen and Grenadiers. Load at least 3 Cannons; Cuba, the 2-tile French island, and Central America will use up 1 each.
    4. Send at least 2 Minutemen to garrison Detroit and New York to guard against barb spawns. Washington and Boston can each keep 1 in the event of odd barbarian placement, but the Iroquois tend to spawn in between Detroit and New York. Denver, Chicago, and St. Louis each get 1 Minutemen as a garrison; Chicago should get another 2 later to defend against Mounted Braves.
    5. Toronto will fall quickly to the units you send, usually being defended only by two Redcoats or Riflemen. One turn of bombarding to remove City Defense and then attacking with both Cannons lets even your dinky untrained and obsolete Minutemen conquer it. I usually raze it and take the stability hit, both because the city sucks following conquest, and it will flip to Canada. Might as well let Detroit have some breathing room. The hopefully intact stack then goes and heals in NYC; it will conquer Halifax and Newfoundland later.
    6. Meanwhile, the stacks loaded into Galleons will employ an island-hopping and amphibious assault suicide strategy. Conquering the Caribbean islands quickly is the most important part in clearing UHV 1. The only times the ships will need to be in open water will be when dropping the units. Starting from Charleston, move to the tile NW of Havana, and drop units. Due to Spanish borders and the unlikely chance Spain has any ships garrisoned, all Galleons should live past this. Havana can be conquered w/o losses because of siege (usually 2 - 3 Spanish defenders).
    7. A stack of 2 Riflemen and a Cannon can then go for the Central American city south of the silver, followed by the Yucatan city. This stack needs to quite healthy because of the reasonable likelihood of a decent amount of Spanish defenders. They should live by virtue of the Silver hill defence bonus, but might be too weak to conquer; reinforce them later with the island-hoppers. All the other stacks do a suicide strat on the islands, which requires lucky attack rolls. Georgetown is the hardest, because it can have two British defenders - it might take as many as 6 units to crack. The French city isn't as bad because siege is an option. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if there's another 1 tile island city (it might be Dutch). Just suicide units against it anyways and hope for the best. This is the step where luck is needed: the first attacking unit needs to chip a decent amount of health from the defender, leaving it weak enough so that the second one has reasonable odds of killing it. If the first attacker doesn't get any damage in, it's very likely you'll run out of units.
    8. Keep the Galleons safe as much as possible -- Britain is likely the only one with any good navy, so keep it away from them in particular. It's impossible to keep every single one alive, but each one kept alive now is one that doesn't need to be made later in the game.
    9. Before DOW'ing on France, have units ready to invade New Orleans; Montreal can come later, or not at all (the main reason to conquer Montreal is to raze it so Boston isn't a crappy city anymore). This stack can come from garrisons, Cannons produced out of Washington, and whatever couldn't be loaded onto boats. The stack which conquered Toronto, after healing, can walk up to Halifax; they can be ferried over to St. John after.
    10. The last points I'd raise is to hold off on DOW'ing France until you're done with Britain and Spain. If you're lucky, the peace with those two might trigger a Congress when you can ask for New Orleans. Also, the Atlantic Coast will be pillaged to death; don't bother building Work Boats until peace is signed with all Euros. The island cities all suck and only copious investment will make them profitable; I just set them to build trade route infrastructure and forget about them.
    11. Thus, within 15 - 20 turns, you should be able to conquer all the necessary Euro colonies. Mexico's spawn is pathetic and there's no difficulty in conquering them. Simply wait 10 turns before you're able to DOW, when Mexico is likely Unstable at this point because their land sucks, load a bunch of units onto Galleons, and then land 1 east of Mexico City. Conquer the city and then Mexico will either collapse or capitulate.
    The other two UHV's are pretty simple. For UHV 2, beeline the techs needed for wonders, then build the wonders. This is basically a tech-check UHV. Britain is the main challenge here. America's land is really good, but it takes a lot of work to develop; this is where Agrarianism comes in. I usually switch out of it once I get to Nationhood, at which point I can get that and Individualism at the same time. UHV 3 is just for fun -- by the time it matters, you should have run away with the game. Furthermore, the places you can get oil - Canada, the Middle East, South America, Africa - tend to be populated by scrubs, so it's a bit of a cakewalk. Turkey may pose some issues, but on recent patches they've tended to be less of a juggernaut by the mid 1900's.

It's been a long post, but I think once you get that UHV 1 is best done quickly, the game becomes a lot more enjoyable. True to history, America can basically do whatever it wants after 1900.

4. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

No longer the case! Fun is over and terrible grind starts, like with all the more or less arbitrary % UHVs. Defensive pact with all 4 leading powers (Russia included) and European vassal (Spain) in 1990 don't even get you 57% world's power :badcomp:. Because, you guessed it, half of the world is occupied by useless Indy cities, while lots of civs that could be your vassals/allies have collapsed in the late game due to the bad relations. I am yet to see someone posting American win on default speed and difficulty.

Spoiler Not even close :( :
    Civ4ScreenShot0068.JPG

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  5. DanLT3

DanLT3 Chieftain

I found it quite easy and finished all by 1925 at Monarch/Marathon difficulty. The wonder Berlaymont is crucial as it allows you to form 2 more defensive pacts. The basic idea is to sign defensive pacts with the major european powers (look who is doing great in your game).
    Then start conquering and make vassals of those who refuse to sign defensive pacts, typically south american civs and Canada. Don't bather with making Mexico your vassal, they will just collapse.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  6. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Well,
    try to do it on normal speed. By 1925 on normal speed world is usually at war , so you are either have to fight with the half of the useful civs or have to cancel all your defensive pacts to avoid being dragged in wars and then it is very hard to renew it.