1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to play non Fin/Org leaders?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Protozoan, Mar 27, 2010.

1. noto2

noto2 Emperor

Waiting is pointless? So you warrior rush at turn 1? Or you get 2 cities and try to win the game axe rushing? No, obviously you have to wait until some point in time. The problem with Toku is that, while his aggressive axes might be able to rush some cities, he has no ability to pay for them most of the time. So with, say, Darius (fin/org) I might go ahead and take city after city with immortals even before I have currency. With Toku, I'm going to want currency, probably code of laws, and some way to raise the happy cap like hereditary rule, before I go taking cities. Once I have those techs, sure, I'll take all the cities I can get.

2. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Emperor

I quite disagree about maintenance. Just because you don't have traits that pay for extra cities, and most leaders don't, it doesn't mean you need to wait until opportune techs. And like I said, you play the map anyway: if geography is 10 points, the traits and UU together are worth maybe 3. People need to get out of their fixation with traits. Just grab what cities you can, such as building 1 settler to get metal or block land, and capturing 4 for a good baseline 6 cities total. While Toku won't be able to pay for them as easily as a FIN, the fact that he captures them easily can compensate. :strength: also translates into :gold::science: when it comes time to negotiate treaties and avoid tribute. There's really no better way to convert hammers into commerce... there's little point in building Wealth until :strength: is at a maximum.

3. Woodreaux

Woodreaux Prince

Don't forget, noto2, you receive :gold: for capturing cities, whether you keep it or raze it, it's money in the bank. You don't have to keep every city, either. In terms of setting back an AI, razing their cities does just much damage as keeping it.

Even if you would otherwise settle your own city in the exact same place, razing an enemy city only to build your own settler and building your own infrastructure might seem like a waste of time and :hammers:. But you're gaining XP for victorious units doing the fighting, gaining Great General points and opening up a frontier for yourself, for when you are ready to expand into that area. You're also opening up land another opportunistic AI to claim... but who cares? You're going to be crushing them soon as well!

4. TheWilltoAct

TheWilltoAct I am observe

... plus you can settle your new cities one tile over, where they really should be built. :D