1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

How to play online multiplayer in 2016?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by TC01, Aug 26, 2016.

1. TC01

TC01 Chieftain

So, I have a friend IRL who I learned relatively recently also likes FFH2, and so for the first time in... uh, forever? I've been looking into how to play multiplayer. As I have very little experience playing MP in Civ 4 (it's the first time in many years since I have played a MP game, and back then I would only ever play LAN and Hotseat games), I've gotten a little confused at the current state of things and was hoping someone might be able to help.

Until recently we were able to play LAN games occasionally, but now we're no longer geographically close enough for that.

How are people who play multiplayer FFH2 (+MNAI) doing it in this day and age, if anyone is? Back in the day I seem to remember people would use services like Hamachi to set up their games, but it seems like that might no longer be a thing? Is running a Pitboss server a possibility instead?

Possibly complicating matters, while I have both the Steam and non-Steam copy of BTS, he only has the Steam copy of BTS.

I could, potentially, forward the ports for Civ 4 to my desktop and we could try a direct IP game, but I have no idea if that will work.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

2. Terkhen

Terkhen Chieftain

I had a mixed experience with direct connection. Sometimes it work, but most of the time it doesn't.

You may want to give the method described in this thread a try. They created a server that replaces the old gamespy server, and some modifications in your hosts file which will force CivIV to connect to the new server. I recommend making a backup of your hosts file before doing any changes.

3. TC01

TC01 Chieftain

4. Terkhen

Terkhen Chieftain

5. BobCW

BobCW Chieftain

If you're looking for additional people to play with, the largest FFH MP community that I know of is at Realms Beyond ("large" being a relative term here, we've got maybe 10 occasionally active players). We're always interested in welcoming new people to the community, but overwhelmingly play games via the PBEM format, so the pace may be slower than what you're interested in (typically we do about a turn a day).

6. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel That's Imperator Knoedel.

We also have a PBEM community on this very forum you know.

7. BobCW

BobCW Chieftain

Yes, a PBEM community which hasn't run a FFH game in months, and where what games do start consistently die from lack of player interest. Don't be obtuse.

8. Imp. Knoedel

Our game died because some RB guy just up and ragequit for no good reason one day.

9. BobCW

BobCW Chieftain

That's an asinine statement, even by your standards.

Qg spent a lot of his time helping you all get that game running, and he only joined to keep it alive after a Civfanatics player randomly dropped. At the time he left, one player claimed to have somehow forgotten who he was (despite having been posting in the thread with him for two years), another was constantly delaying the game with technical issues, and you were being appallingly rude, insulting him every time he posted. The game was also struggling to manage one turn a month. Given that level of incompetence and abuse, I can't imagine why he would have decided to abandon it.

And then you all got a replacement anyway, and apparently still couldn't keep the game alive, despite your supposed interest in it. And this was the only FFH PBEM to have launched at all in over a year.

Compared with Civfanatics, the Realms Beyond FFH MP community is thriving. I will continue to advocate for anyone interested in expanding their multiplayer experience to visit there, regardless of whatever weird, petty, unreciprocated rivalry you imagine you are compelled to keep going. You should invest time in cleaning your own house, before rushing to gather stones every time someone mentions mine.

10. Imp. Knoedel

I wasn't insulting him, I was calling him out on being a whiney little baby, and I still stand by that.

11. BobCW

BobCW Chieftain

:rolleyes:

You were consistently rude and belligerent when Qg & I went out of our way to assist in getting the game off the ground, you demeaned him constantly when he volunteered to help keep it alive after a Civfanatics player dropped, and now you have the gall to criticize him for abandoning the game after suffering your abuse for months. You're an incompetent jerk with no capacity for self-reflection, and an unbearable burden on any conversation.

Whatever, you are who you are. At this point I mainly feel sorry for the people in your life who have to deal with your condition.

12. Imp. Knoedel

Now who's flinging around insults? :confused:

13. Charlie_B

Charlie_B Chieftain

Both of you are ¬¬