1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to play scenarions in hotseat ?!?!?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Multiplayer & PBEM' started by Crash757, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Crash757

Crash757 Chieftain

How can i play scenarions in hotseat ? I tried everything, but i just can't find a way to launch a scenario for hotseat, there's no option for that in hotseat menu :( :cry:

If it's not possible, then please make a mod for that! :(

2. SweetBoy19

SweetBoy19 Chieftain

hmm

I'm waiting for it too :( I want to play with my friends in my world map.... but I think it's not possible at the moment...
    And I looked if i could change some game options editing some files... but i can't find about hot seat :S

I think we must wait for a new patch or exp :(

3. Mysticaria

Mysticaria Chieftain

try leaving the civics screen open on a hotseat game!!!

4. Raider62

Raider62 Chieftain

we need to be able to play custom maps in hotseat. How the hell did they leave that out???

5. Hassenpfeffer

Hassenpfeffer Cobalt Thorium G Device!

No hotseat. Doubleplus Ungood.

6. Caesar Maximus

Caesar Maximus Chieftain

I believe this is NONSENSE.
    "Civ4 is the most editable Civ of the serie! you can edit this, edit that et cetera but... ... ... cant play in hot-seat&pbem my scenarios??? :eek:

I fear that when the game was in developing phase, someone said:
    "Lets dont waste time on hotseat and pbem, nobody plays with them... let's negate them custom possibilities!":mad: :eek:
    That would be ridicolous... For a long (potentially) game as a CivGame the player must spend much time. I prefer spend time with email, not spending hours after hours continously in front of my pc. And when I'm annoyed at home with my girlfriend I'd love to play togheter the scenario I've just made (well, less or more...;) ) BUT... it's not possible. Then I say: let's reinstall Civ3...

Conclusion: thankssss a lot... (ironic)...

Now the patch is out. Is something changed? I fear not, but I'll check it now.

7. Quantum7

Quantum7 Chieftain

It may be possible to do it by starting another multiplayer type of game with a scenario and loading that as a hotseat game.

8. Crash757

Crash757 Chieftain

In other multiplayer type, u can't set more then one player from one pc!!! :cringe: So hotseat players are doomed :cry:

9. Caesar Maximus

Caesar Maximus Chieftain

:cry: Yeah... you cannot set the other players in net games.
    However, I've two ideas:

1) actually create a net game (ip, internet, lan... whetever it is) and then save and play it how you like - this may be done if you have someone else on other computers to set the players for you.

2) I read in the editing forum that it is possible to work and edit the saved files. Maybe it is possible to edit the "Human Player" value. I dont know, it's just an idea... I'll ask there if it is possible.

Just hoping... the only ways I like to play are hotseat and pbem, and I love to create my scenarios... :cry:

10. Raider62

Raider62 Chieftain

My brother and I got into Civ because of the Hotseat. The fact that we cant play Earth Map with it is unbelievable. Yeah random maps are ok, but the best games we ever played involved earth. Nothing like it. Fireaxis or 2k or whoever please fix this. How could you remove this feature? How hard could it be to code it in? Please fix this.

11. Crash757

Crash757 Chieftain

Tried this. There's just a mumble-jumble of different symbols in save game file when i open it with notepad and i dunno other way how to edit it :sad:

*writes letter*
    "Dear Firaxis,
    Plz, set 3 net monkies on different pc's with whom i could set up a scenario game and save it for hotseat play.

Humble Civ hotseat fanatic."
    :D

:cry:

Too bad they'll not set for me 3 net monkies :( And i have no monkies at all myself, not to speaking about humans, who would connect at my command :(

:cry:

12. Caesar Maximus

Caesar Maximus Chieftain

Uhm, it's early to lose hopes (I translated a way of saying, I'm not sure it's ok)

1)I found on the forum of editing -> utilities an utility that edit the save files: this mean someone CAN do that. I asked but no-one answered yet.

2) You misunderstand me, Crash. I mean to do this: ask two friends to just set two players. Then begin a net game, save it, and oplà! Reload it in hotseat or pbem! What do you think about it?

Please God Developer, give me a Holy Patch!!!:cry:

13. Crash757

Crash757 Chieftain

The problem is that i can't just summon from nowhere 2-3 ppl who would join my game at my command. There got to be better way... :rolleyes:

14. Gyathaar

Gyathaar Warlock Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

I wrote a small command line util for converting a single player save to a hotseat game. To limit the use for cheating, it will only work for a game from the first turn of a game, and only if there is no admin password, and the no cheat flag is not set.

unpack the zip file into a dir of your choice (you need the zlib1.dll there too)

Create a single player save you want to convert, take note of what number in list the civs you want to make playable are.. first choice on list is number 0, and is what is normally played by humans except in scenarios.

start a command line shell (Start -> Run -> cmd )
    cd to the dir you made and run:

hotseat "path to savefile you want to convert" list of civ numbers to make player playable

Eg: hotseat "c:\civ4\saves\mysave 4000BC.Civ4SavedGame" 1 5

this will convert the 2nd and 6th civ in the list into human playable (1st one is number 0).. the numbers can be from 0 to 18, where 18 is barbarians.. I have no clue how playing as barbarians will be like :p

the converted file will be outputted as hotseat.Civ4SavedGame in the same dir as the hotseat.exe, so you will have to move this file to the hotseat save game folder and you prolly want to rename it too afterwards.

Edit:
    Get the util from this thread instead:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=153759

15. Crash757

Crash757 Chieftain

W00t!!! :drool:

Thx, Gyathaar, i'll try it asap :goodjob:

*edit* Damn, looks like i'm too stupid to use it x_x I don't actually get it, how do i run that hotseat.exe and when and where do i write does lines afterwards x_x

16. Gyathaar

Start a command line prompt.. (hit start button, select run, then type 'cmd')

inside the command shell, type :

cd \dir\where\you\put\the\files

hotseat save civs..

17. Crash757

Crash757 Chieftain

Ok, i got "Converting civ... bla, bla, bla.." there in shell and WinXP message, that "hotseat.exe has encountered a problem... bla, bla bla..." and in result i have no converted save files :(

18. Gyathaar

Hmm.. could you link the save you tried on?

19. Crash757

Crash757 Chieftain

Here u go...

20. Gyathaar

try the new version I attached to the original post

Oops.. that one didnt work at all.. fixing