How to play with Ethnic Units mod enabled

vyyt

Deity
### Tested with CBP 13.4.4 and Ethnic Units v31 ###
### Might change with newer versions of CBP ###

Hi everyone,

If you try to play CBP in combination with the Ethnic Units mod, you will most likely encounter a sudden crash to desktop in the Modern era.

In order to prevent the crash you need to edit this file in Ethnic Units:
Ethnic Units (v 31)/SQL/Units/WW1 Infantry.sql

... and delete everything inside (yes everything).

Cheers,
Vyyt

Every time someone brings something like this up my first thought is always "why?".

Mostly why would unitlooks be based on with faction you're playing and not on world location, culture and neighbors.

I figured out an easier way to make the Ethnic Units work with CPB and updated the opening post. I have not played a whole game yet, but everything seems to be working fine.

Does it affect save games? I mean, can I fix it before modern era and load my game or I have to start the new game after fixing? :(

Does it affect save games? I mean, can I fix it before modern era and load my game or I have to start the new game after fixing? :(

Good question. To be honest, I am not 100% sure, but I THINK it should work with an old save. Once someone produces the Reiflemen (called Great War Infantry in the base game), you will know if it worked or not :)

Please report back if it worked for you. I will update the opening post and mention if it affects the save games or not.

Thanks!

Any updates?? Is this still compatible with only the original changes (deleting everything from Ethnic Units (v 31)/SQL/Units/WW1 Infantry.sql)??

Any updates?? Is this still compatible with only the original changes (deleting everything from Ethnic Units (v 31)/SQL/Units/WW1 Infantry.sql)??

Dunno, but most probably not. Ethnic Units have not been updated in years and unless the unit naming convention has changed in CBP recently, deleting the contents of the above file is still needed. The changes are save-compatible, so you can try it out. If you get a sudden crash when someone produces the WWI infantry for the first time, you can edit the file and reload. If you try it out, please do report back.

If you get a sudden crash when someone produces the WWI infantry for the first time, you can edit the file and reload. If you try it out, please do report back.
Anyone experience problems with ED latest version and VP?

Last edited:
I stopped using ED (and FlagPromotions) when I started getting graphical glitches in the late game (these 2 consume too much memory), but as I think Gazebo did not touch the WWI infatry, the above should still apply. The good thing is that you can try the "vanilla" ED and if you get a CTD, you can just follow my instructions. If there has been an update to ED recently though, then some new problems (with new ED units) may arise - but it is not probable, if I remember correctly, ED already contained all the units.

I can't find a "WW1 Infantry.sql" in the folder for the new version of ED. Although, with validate database enabled and logging, I get a lot of notifications as below in database.log.

Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_UnitInfoMemberInfos.UnitMemberInfoType - "ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_MISSIONARY_RENAISSANCE" does not exist in ArtDefine_UnitMemberInfos

Does anybody here know if Ethnic Diversity is fully functioning with the latest VP patches? Are there workarounds still necessary?

Does anybody here know if Ethnic Diversity is fully functioning with the latest VP patches? Are there workarounds still necessary?
I don't know, I stopped using EU as it consumes too much memory and cause glitches on the huge maps in the late game.

But I think renaming the WWI infantry is still necessary. You can try playing with EU and then turning it off if you get a CTD at some point. It is save compatible. Please report back afterwards, I will update the mods compatibility thread if necessary.

I'm currently playing R.E.D unofficial's updated? Ethnic Diversity mods that come in a package of 3 mods. It should be compatible with VP without any edits, but I'll make sure by playing something into the modern era and beyond.

I'm currently playing R.E.D unofficial's updated? Ethnic Diversity mods that come in a package of 3 mods. It should be compatible with VP without any edits, but I'll make sure by playing something into the modern era and beyond.
Nice, thanks. Please note that these unit reskinning mods are very memory-demanding and can cause graphical glitches or screen freezes in later stage of the game.

I can confirm that Ethnic Diversity still causes crashes with VP, almost definitely related to infantry.

I had two different games reach an unavoidable CTD on a certain turn, until I read this thread and disabled Ethnic Diversity, which fixed both games. In one I know at least one Civ had just recently recearched the tech for infantry.

I'm not sure how to resolve the problem, as I'm not sure what the issue is in the first place. Is the infantry model corrupt or something? I don't see anything odd in the sql file (which includes much more than just the infantry units).

Thank you for testing and reporting back, @dylansan.

It is not corrupted, I think it is because of how VP references the WW1 Infantry / Rifleman. There may be more problems with later units as well - it has been 4 years since I created this thread and both VP and ED evolved in the meantime. I stopped using ED as it is quite memory-heavy and it can cause overflows on bigger maps in the late stages of game with VP.

Did you try deleting everything in the WW1 Infantry.sql as advised in the opening post? Did it help?

I am not familiar with the latest ED versions. You say that there is more (more units?) in the WW1 Infantry.sql, right? So maybe just deleting the parts referencing the WW1 Infantry will do the trick. In the 2014 version it contained only the variants of this one unit, so you had to delete everything in the file.

There is no WWI Infantry.sql anymore, that I can tell. Instead there seems to be one file (1-JEDUnitGraphicConfig.sql) containing all units. You're saying I should delete all the rows for WWI_Infantry?

It would be nice to figure out what exactly the problem is. If it's just a matter of changing the name to match VP, that's not a big deal. But I have no idea.

Oh, I see, then yes, I would first try deleting everything related to WW1_Infantry from that file. Renaming it would probably work too. I honestly don't remember what the problem was. There were only like 2 reskins for this unit back then, so I didn't really bother with finding out what the exact problem was. Deleting the file worked. If you find (a better) solution, please report back. I am linking this thread from the mods compatibility thread, so I would update it accordingly. TKS!

Top Bottom