How to prevent AI from attacking my Suzerain CS's?

gunnergoz

Cat Herder
Am I missing something or is there no way in the early game to warn the AI civs to not attack the City States that I'm suzerain to, i.e. those most important to me? It seems all I can do is declare war on the AI's and sometimes I'd rather just try to bluff them or bully them away without starting a war. Also, I know there is a liberation CB to go to war over to liberate CS's but I have yet to see it in the game diplomacy menu.

None of those are options. You can send your military units to the CS you are suzerain of, and surround the city -- the AI cannot capture the CS if it can't get a melee unit into the city.

Am I missing something or is there no way in the early game to warn the AI civs to not attack the City States that I'm suzerain to, i.e. those most important to me? It seems all I can do is declare war on the AI's and sometimes I'd rather just try to bluff them or bully them away without starting a war. Also, I know there is a liberation CB to go to war over to liberate CS's but I have yet to see it in the game diplomacy menu.

So its a late game policy, I cant remember which. But you have to already be suzerin before the war.

I know I've been suzerain of a CS in early game and it was invaded by AI. When late game rolled around and Liberation CB was available, it did not seem to apply to that CS situation so I could not use it. Still confused about it.

Solution about surrounding CS with own units is appreciated but still not kind of fix to problem that I'm looking for. Probably needs to come from Firaxis in a patch. Or a mod?

Being Suzerain is a risk. Just remember if the AI declares war, they get a warmonger penalty, so they're kind of shooting themselves in the foot in terms of chances for future research agreements (unless they do it real early).

I do wish the AI was a bit smarter about how they approach this situation, though. And more transparent when it comes to CS's you are Suzerain of.

Top Bottom