How to prevent your units becoming barbarians?

Hmm, it shouldn't happen when you capture a city, it should happen when the AC reaches a given value (not sure how much) and the avatar of Wrath comes to the world and converts some units to his cause.
You can prevent this by casting loyalty on them (law 1 spell), it will make units die rather then defect, or you can simply try to fight against the AC rise ...

No, the avatar is a powerfull AC effect and will come much later. I never heard of this behavior before ...

Concerning the AC, you can't do much at this point to lower it more, 16 is pretty low (it can reach 100), when Ashen Veil is founded and infernals arrive, you can lower the AC by razing the Veil holy city, or the Infernal capital (Dis), by killing Hyborem or the Veil heroes, and in general by fighting off the growing Evil.
There are also a couple other means to lower the AC : founding the order (i think), using the Elohim ritual, sanctifying city ruins (if that one still works). Also try not to raze large, non ashen veil cities, as this can make the AC rise rather quickly.

The Enraged promotion also gives a chance of turning barb, which is much more likely to be the reason than the avatar of wrath,unless the AC has reached 90 already. Werewolves start with enraged, as do some mutated units. The crazed promotion (also sometimes given with mutation, and a starting promo of the OO Lunatic UUs) also gives a chance of becomeing enraged each turn.

Yeah, I think that in the BtS version Burning Blood was changed to sometimes give the enraged promotion too.

I believe the loyalty promotion (available through the Law I spell, and to all mercenaries hired by Magnadine) will prevent them from turning barbarian, by killing them when they otherwise would defect.

Seeing them become barbarians is actualy worse then death. I had my uber high level hill giant suddenly turn barbarian which immidiatly started slaughtering my army. Although Burning Blood makes my slow Giants fast and powerfull, able to destroy cities single handedly, if you consider that they might turn postal it isn't worth the risk anymore :(
It only seams to make sence when used for suicide attacks, when the chanse of surviving an attack is slim at best.

Correct, that's really the point of it.

Ah OK, was this changed with the BTS version, cause i never saw a unit become a barbarian before, except for the avatar (up to 2.23)?

I have been getting something similar. My units are starting to convert into barbarians with an AC of 5! Even my workers are turning on me!

You can prevent this by casting loyalty on them (law 1 spell), it will make units die rather then defect,
This doesn't work in the latest .25 version. I know for certain since I name certain units and then find them under the employ of the Avatar. With these units in particular I have made certain they had Loyalty before the Avatar spawned. And then once I find my old units I can get them back with the Command spell even though they still have the Loyalty promotion. So Loyalty is definitely broken. I'm guessing that it will be fixed in Shadow.

I have been getting something similar. My units are starting to convert into barbarians with an AC of 5! Even my workers are turning on me!
This might be because you have Chaos mana. If so then there is a small chance that your units will start out with that promotion which causes units to turn barbarian.

no more than the great library becomes overpowered on OCC, or phi on OCC, or Org on huge maps.
or how underpowered Sheaim becomes on Hallowed Ground, or barb trait leaders with No Barbarians.

and so on.

the options are there to play to peoples preferences, but the same balance of standard options needn't be kept (not that theres any real need for balance in standard settings)

Valid points. Though I would typically argue that the wonders aren't overpowered in a One City Challenge, since you are giving up the ability to build a LOT of other things to get that wonder. But I haven't ever attempted one of those, so can't say much I suppose :)

does loyalty opposes to the enraged promo going barb ??

that it does oppose the avatar of wrath is ok, but the rage...

How do you build the Great Library in One-City Challenge? It requires three libraries.

Top Bottom