1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to proceed from here? (Deity, Hatshepsut)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Revent, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Revent

Revent Will SIP

Spoiler :

I have a feeling that I SHOULD be able to chariot rush Asoka without much difficulty. But is it feasible at this difficulty level? (Normal speed) Asoka doesn't generally build many units so I may have time. Will it be ideal to settle on the horse?

What tech path from here would be optimal? I'm thinking Mining->BW if I want to chariot rush Asoka.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

War Chariots are awesome, so that looks like a good bet. Especially if Asoka doesn't get metal before you slay him.

3. oranje willem

oranje willem Prince

Would you mind sharing the starting save? This start is very promising

4. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

What a horrible start, 2 Plains Cows, how do you ever want to work the Goldmine with that food :rolleyes: .

Whatever.

Techpath should go AH first, so you can improve the Cows and see the Horses. Afterwards, Mining -> BW, yes. And War Chariot rush is always feasible, just try to be as fast as possible, so coordinate your Workers well to get the Horses as soon as possible and then chop-whip the hell out of your cities and attack with already as little as 3-4 War Chariots at the first city. Don't ever let him get metal up, and you'll easily outproduce him, because War Chariots own Archers at decent rates.

5. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

There is corn too I believe, but yeah, I hate screenshots without resource bubbles. Do people really play the game like that? I have them on 99.9% of the time, they turn themselves off when I check military or culture.

6. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

With wet corn + 2 cows + gold can do some rushes any time with non-unit spammer :D
    And yes, bubbles can save the day... just strange that sometimes opening save I have bubbles on, sometimes off...

7. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

I don't play with them turned on all the time, I turn them on in the beginning, and after that, I know where the resources are anyhow or see them, and only turn them on again, if I search something specific. When they're turned on, I too often click on them when moving the map, and I also don't want anything that distracts me. If you'd have played MMOs, you'd be just like that, only display whats really necessary, and if possible, also only at the time at which it's necessary, but yes, on screenshots they are necessary Revent. Didn't see the Corn on first glance.

8. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Hope there's seafood there, only settling locations for Horses-city are on the Horses or on the desert besides it. Rushing from that capital is great, but rushing from 2 great cities, you can take a 2nd and maybe even 3rd civ.

9. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Olol, there's also seafood there which I didn't see, so don't settle on the Horses, but on the desert to catch it later. Building a Monument and researching Mysticism in this case is worth it, as it's an Obelisk, and you can bulb Theology really easily with Hatty, and Theocracy is just the war civic. You even get a religion for it from Asoka. Seriously, if you fail this game Revent, from that start, with our help, stop playing or beg forgiveness for your sins.

10. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

For me they're necessary all the time :D Otherwise I'd forget to improve something. Simply helps to see what's what without squinting at the screen or going by memory.

Anyhow... see you already have horsed so must have AH, so I would recommend Mining - BW too. Need to work the gold and chop forests into WC. Some type of seafood 2W of desert, so settle on the desert I reckon. Chop a forest into a workboat. Connect the cities with two roads (plus one for the horse ofc), improve corn, cows and gold, probably in that order. Maybe just one cow first, so you can work the gold, cow and corn at size 3 for the horse-settler.

Every non-resource are forests, so you should be able to chop out plenty. Hopefully Asoka won't have BFC metal. If he does, hopefully he produces axes instead of spears.

11. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

And don't forget to let the Horses-city work the Gold when you produce a Worker (or Settler) from it, to let your capital even grow faster and on more Cottages. Always remember, that you don't need :food: when building those units, so you always need to re-micro cities when building them, when needing no :food: , there are always better options for micro than usually.

12. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Either that, or: Work the Gold while building the Obelisk and the WB.

And post that start in the awesome's starts collection. Tripple Food + 1 Gold + riverside Capital would already be good enough, but there are not many starts without BUFFY in that thread, and also not many on standard settings. The Forrests and the great 2nd city are almost already superflous, but make it just really awesome, and the Horses so nearbye are just crazy.

If I don't get a great start to beat bcool's 1570 AD Spacerace during the next 3 days, I'm gonna give this game a try.

[EDIT]

Why does this start not have a Plains hill :gripe: .

13. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

And try to directly steal a Worker from Asoka with your first War Chariot or even with the Warrior. The next few WCs will come in a few turns later anyhow and with 2 moves, they're there at no time. Maybe wait for his 2nd Worker and steal both at the same time, then he'll start building a new one so you don't have to fear reinforcements and maybe you can even capture it, if you give the city time to finish it (which must not necessarily be the best option, getting a 2nd capital site earlier is also great, so don't waste time on waiting when you can get the city safely) . Don't build too many Workers yourself, War Chariots mean that you'll get a lot of them from AI for free.

14. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Settler at size 3 working both Cows and the Corn, don't wait for the Gold. Normally you should, but in this case, you don't have to worry about research as much as normally, because you'll get a great 2nd (and 3rd!) city very early, and it's more important to get up the Horses asap.

And while the Settler builds, preroad to the Horses, then your Settler can move on the roads saving you another turn and you can improve the Gold afterwards. Maybe even preroad the desert tile to again settle 1T earlier, should you have the Workerturns. If you steal a Worker with the Warrior (be careful when doing that! Don't let him get owned back by an Archer, so only steal if he's on a Hills Forrest or a tile in the outer BFC) , you don't need any more and can do with 1 Worker self-built for the whole round. If you don't steal a Worker with the Warrior, built a 2nd Worker from the capital, either directly after the Settler (work the Gold from the 2nd city then) or let the city grow to size 5 and whip it (slightly more efficient, even without a Granary, but gives you :mad: , which you'll get a lot of because WCs-whips are 1-pop) .

Also go all in, so whip the capital so often, that it only can work the Cows, the Corn and the Gold, maybe not even the Gold if 2nd city works it. You can reduce the anger easily after you got Asoka's cities through slow-building 2 Settlers (is that really slow with those resources? :crazyeye: ) and settle the eastern Corn and the southern Rice, southern Rice city should probably go on the Plains-tile west of the Rice, or even on the Rice itself. I'm really excited about this game, the start is really great and even the map looks good. Don't think you'll get something like that often Revent, I've generated enough maps already, so I know how small the chances for such a scenario are. On the Rice is probably better btw., because an Irrigation-chain would be difficult (needs 3 Farms on the southern capital-tiles, so a lot of Workerturns) and dry Rice needs long to become better than the initially more Food from settling on it. That city will stay small anyhow, so it doesn't matter if you miss on those Grasslands in the west, it'll probably never grow larger than size 4. Even if it needed to be big, there are enough jungled Grasslands to its south.

15. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

You can even make a try at Oracle in this game, because Asoka won't be able to build it (he's one of the biggest threats to Oracle in any game) , so there's probably only 1 civ (the one that researched Meditation and got Buddhism) that could go for it. Research Pottery, Writing and Alpha, unless somebody already had Writing (you see that if somebody offers the opportunity to open Borders) , if so, go Maths. Oracle Currency to support your economy and followup with Catapults. Don't ever think about Horse Archers, War Chariots are way better, and together with 2 or 3 Catapults, you can easily take targets that have Metals. Should the 2nd civ have metals (which it'll probably have) , just look that you pillage them early and save up a few 5 XP Chariots from the Asoka-war for Shock-promotion.

16. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

And delay the Library for long. First Great Person should imo be the Prophet from city 2, you'll have enough research with so many good cities and Gold anyhow, and you'll be very happy to have another 3-pop whip with so much :food: and so much whipping :mad: from the Chariot-rush. You probably even don't need a Granary before Oracle. A Barracks will probably be useful though.

17. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

And at last: This won't matter probably, but always chop Forests in X-patterns, to give them a better chance that they'll regrow, maybe you even get one (or two?) additional Forests. Try to lay the X-pattern so that you definitely chop some riverside Grasslands to lay some Cottages on. Don't build Cottages too early though, chopping is more important. If you should get the chance though because you already have enough troops (don't forget a safetey margin and that you want to continue with the 2nd and 3rd civ, so don't stop building them too early) , then you'll get an even greater game, because that capital has a great Commercial-potential.

Also don't forget, that you're SPI, so you can change to Slavery without losing a turn and you can also run Caste when generating your GS. Therefore too, Library should really come very late. And regarding Oracle again, maybe build it in Asoka's capital once you have it, because that one will have a Religion and you will maybe already have OR from trade, and the Forests in Asoka's capital also aren't that valuable as the one's of your capital, so try to shift the productioni from your capital towards his cities immediately. Send the Workers to it even before you conquer it, so they can start pre-chopping while the troops attack. You'll be very happy about any Forests left in your capital, once you got Buro and Maths, because then, they're 45 :hammers: each. Maybe you can get a Market from those then, maitnenance will be high with the number of cities which you'll have at that time, and your capital can also make very good use of the extra :) . You'll get Currency probably early, so if you get it before you get the Library (like from Oracle) , build the Market first (unusual but definitely the right decision with being SPI and conquering that much that early) . You only want a Library for its +25% bonus on :science: , not for the Scientist slots this time, and you have an endless number of troops to build, so build the Library once you can research at high speed again (no idea when that is, probably early with so much Conquest-gold, but definitely not before Currency, if he gets Oracle) .

That's all from me for this moment. :whew:

18. yyeah

yyeah Emperor

What a nice start :)
    Yeah you can post it :)

19. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

+1 request for starting save

20. Benginal

Benginal Emperor