How to program new UA and UU?

I'm familiar with C# and C++ but I have no idea what syntax or values I should be using in my code.

I've searched everywhere on the forums but it would be nice to see a reference page or guide that would help me find values within code and simple commands to change, for example, tile yields within a civilization (not global) or building yields, as well as being able to give a free [building/unit] every [x event]. I just don't know where to get started, the LUA section doesn't really help.

I guess I should ask a more specific question...

So I already have the XML for my new UU and Trait, but I need to add the unique properties of these traits (like how they behave, for example washington has RIVER_EXPANSION enabled, and some have CANNOT_BUILD_SETTLER or some other property within the trait.). First off, I don't even know which file I should update, and second off I don't see any simple guide for doing it in that reference Wiki.

Just to verify, are you touching the xml files in the "Civ 5/Assets" directory? Or are you doing updates/adds/etc to the various building, unit, trait tables?

While lots of people try making a civ as their first mod, I think it is bad advice to do so. Making a civ requires understanding of multiple interconnected tables that can overwhelm a person just starting out. Better for the very first step into modding to be something extremely narrow -- like a new building or unit -- and have the civ be the 3rd mod.

The LUA section is pretty terrible, to be honest.

What is it exactly that you're trying to do? You can change local civ tile yields by using secret hidden buildings (XML.) Giving a free unit every x turns or event is a LUA thing that I'm planning on doing myself sometime soon.

What is your trait supposed to do?

Just to verify, are you touching the xml files in the "Civ 5/Assets" directory? Or are you doing updates/adds/etc to the various building, unit, trait tables?

Er...I've just been creating my own xml documents and then using the update database thing for each document. I don't even know where to start for doing the code.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing. Could you clarify what you're trying to do/need help with? Are you trying to figure out how to get to "hello world" in lua or are you trying to figure out how to implement a specific effect? The wiki is a great reference but a terrible tutorial.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing. Could you clarify what you're trying to do/need help with? Are you trying to figure out how to get to "hello world" in lua or are you trying to figure out how to implement a specific effect? The wiki is a great reference but a terrible tutorial.

I am trying to implement a specific effect, but I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to do it. I'm guessing I would have to check if 1) there is a player of the nephite civ and then figure out how to give the civilization more yields, but I'm not sure how I would do the latter or the former.

Top Bottom