1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to properly balance military?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by jacer21, Feb 4, 2013.

1. jacer21

jacer21 Chieftain

Hey guys, I just joined after a few months of lurking :)

Anyway, I recently moved up to Emperor, and playing as India to try to get the Bollywood achievement (cultural victory with 3 cities or less) and I'm having trouble balancing my military and not falling too behind with my culture. My last game I got steamrolled by Spain about 75 turns in, even though I had a war elephant, an archer and a warrior. Is this not enough? Whenever I build/buy more than that I feel I fall too far back.

For culture, I always open with tradition but I'm considering going into liberty for the worker and the culture discount when founding new cities, and then finishing it later. Is this a viable strategy? Science wise, I go Pottery -> Writing -> worker techs -> Philosophy (oracle) -> Drama + poetry for amphitheaters.

Any tips would be appreciated :) Ps: I don't really want to move down a difficulty either because I can win just about every game on King, and it wouldn't be fun for me if I knew I was going to win right off the bat.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I usually try to go for a religion pretty quickly, and I whenever I can I pick cathedrals and the one that gives you culture for every 5 followers in other civs.

2. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

War elephant, archer, and warrior isn't enough on Emperor.

Tradition is fine.

Play the game like you would a "science" game, but work artists instead of scientists and finish the Freedom policy tree ASAP. No need to fret over culture that early in the game.

3. Unresolved

Unresolved King

For Emperor, you can probably get by(depending on who your neighbors are) by building 5 archers/CB's/X-bows in the beginning and then relying on military CS gifts to keep you afloat. Of course, if your game goes on for a long time, then you may want to build some more units at the end. Of course, this is only if you want to turtle.

4. crazymarco

crazymarco Chieftain

For me, if you really what to play defensively, I guess 3-4 ranged units for each city will enough for you to defense.

AI will still declear war on you. But after you beat several waves, they will retreat and go peace with you.

5. Bagi

Bagi Warlord

Personally I found that a Emperor forced me to play a lot more reactive. If I spawn really close to someone or close to a warmongerer, you have to start preparing early and squeeze in an archer whenever you can.

Luckily, 3-4 archers combined with a city with walls can hold off pretty much all rushes that don't involve UUs. Always get walls for the city that is the closest to your most probable enemy.

6. Seabastian Civ

Seabastian Civ King

I won the Bollywood on Emperor (pre-patch, albeit) when I took Moscow's capital with an Elephant rush. I settled a third city between our two capitals. I then turtled to victory. If possible, you could try something like this. It does depend on having a nearby neighbor, and suitable production in your capital to pump out 4-5 war elephants and a spear or two.

Good luck!

Also don't underestimate the Hermitage religious choice! It really adds up with +% modifiers late in the game.

7. stii

stii Prince

The issue isn't really more units it is more ranged units. They are so much better to the point where on defence you don't really want any melee ones. Three archers should be easily enough to hold them off with good placement. I wouldn't build 5+ unless I was attacking someone just practise your defence.

8. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

That isn't completely true. A fortified pike or two can really make a difference in holding off a huge wave of AI spam. The AI is too stupid to know how to maneuver past them, and with promotions like Cover fortified pikes can take a lot of hits before going down (remember while in city borders they are also healing 20 hp per turn)

9. stii

stii Prince

Pike is a lot later than this earlier pressure. By the time you have comp bows you shouldn't be in any danger from an AI attack, three is overkill anyway.

10. Unresolved

Unresolved King

It may not be necessary on Emperor, but it is always good to pick-up good habits if you are interested in moving up the difficulty ladder. I've had a game on Immortal where I was swarmed with probably 35-40 units from 3 different civs on turn 80ish. I'm not a good domination player, but I think most people will need more than 3 CB's to drive away that many units.

11. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

It really depends on what you do with them and for what kind of target...

For now, since OP seems to be new to this, I would recommend it to just stick with CB rush first before going into anything more zany.

Tabarnak's 4 City CB Rush

If you want Bollywood achievement, just go with 3 cities asap and that's it. Should be more than enough on 6 :king:

12. Cedbird

Cedbird Warlord

Location , Location , Location . Every city you found better be in a good location to exploit resources and strategically defend and possibly attack . Especially if you are going with only 3 cities . You have less room for error .
    Good location with good resources means good economy , happiness , and hammers . Your able to buy more units , buildings , and support you city state quest .

13. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Units: As others have said; wrong type of units for defensive actions: I recommend buying two Archers, and you'll already have the Warrior. (Upgrade later)

Tech path: If you wait too long, you'll get built out to Oracle on Emperor level. In fact as India; I think I would recommend not founding a city for quite some time and so build the Great Library instead of the regular one, researching Calendar so that Philosophy is free. This may give you the time to build NC followed immediately by Oracle.

Religion: I don't like the ones that only give benefits for foreign cities. Even if your first to the religion and spread it, if you spread it to somebody who later founds one, he wipes out your work in his civ. (Or if that civ DOWs you, and you conquer his city you've also wiped out the effect) If your really after a city state bonus, instead go for the city state influence one which will get you free friendship when combined with a Patronage subpolicy even without pledging to protect. (A free friendship with every cultural city states yields a lot of culture even before considering the city state quests) But personally I prefer more direct food & production bonuses.

14. Knut_Are_M

Knut_Are_M Prince

The safest way to cultural victory is a halfway dominiation win with lots of puppets.
    a tall cultural victory only works vs AI, humans will tear you apart militarily if you go for cultural victory.

15. tomoliop

tomoliop Chieftain

This achievment proved to be quite easy doing OCC, imho.

16. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Yup, as I recall I got this back in vanilla (and a very old version where unhappiness wasn't as much as a factor since India was one of the first I played) as a semi-OCC. (I didn't build any settlers; but later puppeted two cities an AI founded too close to me when they declared war.)