How to provoke an AI to declare war on you?

AAjus[LTU]

Chieftain
War weariness is stronger in the civilization which declared war. I want to conquer a neighbour civilization. How can I provoke an AI to declare war on me?

By annoying him/her. If he/she has cautious or worse relationship with you, you can annoy him/her by asking lot of money or something from him/her. That's one way, but it doesn't always lead to war.

AAjus[LTU];6556330 said:
War weariness is stronger in the civilization which declared war. I want to conquer a neighbour civilization. How can I provoke an AI to declare war on me?
I imagine if you annoy the civ so that you have a large negative diplomacy score and then let the AI get much stronger than you, it would declare war.

AAjus[LTU];6556330 said:

If the target civ recognises that you are much more powerful than they are, they won't decide to attack even if they hate you. Therefore I think the best method to goad a civ into attacking would be to disband your entire army first, and then make lots of unreasonable demands. :p

Two questions:
1. If I cancel all resource trade and open borders with the AI, will it hate me more, just like when I cancel deals when asked by another AI ?

2. If my spy is caught in the AI's territory and the AI already is annoyed, can it take it as my declaration of war or is it impossible? Once I had a random event telling that other civilization's spy was caugt and I could choose to take it as theirs declaration of war

Unless the AI is clearly more powerful than you, aggressively inclined, nearby, not at war with anyone else, and you are their worst enemy, it is doubtful that you can guarantee that they will go to war with you. The other problem is that even if the AI does make a decision to attack, it could be many many turns until they actually get around to declaring. I think you would be best off declaring once you are properly prepared, and catch the AI with their pants down. If the target has a large stack, and is nearby, you could declare, wait for their stack to cross your border, and destroy it. This way the AI will be hit with WW for fighting where you are culturally dominant.

IIRC, War Weariness only depends on whose land the battles are fought in, not who declares war. Who declares war only influences the diplomatic situation (you declared war on my friend!)

Declare war, then wait for him to attack. If he doesn't, then he wouldn't have declared anyway.

Thank you for your answers. Now where did I heard this lie, that declaring war influences war weariness...

In Civ3 when Ai declares war you get a +1:) temporarily in all cities. It was always nice to get an early declaration then.

One advantage of a war declaration by AI is -1:mad: you declared on our friend and defensive pacts .

Edit: Edited out incorrect info

If your in a position to take over their country, I doubt war weariness is really gonna be a problem, just make sure to make the war short by hitting your main objectives hard and fast (such as cities with good reasourcess and/or wonders) then declare peace, rebuild and let your people calm down. Then just finnish off the opposing civ later when your ready.

I've never played Civ III but that seems totally absurd... how can people become more happy when they have just been declared war on! Did that happen in Iraq?

I've never played Civ III but that seems totally absurd... how can people become more happy when they have just been declared war on! Did that happen in Iraq?
Not as such. But it did happen in Soviet Russia and in England in WW2. Boths nations rallied against an external threat, mostly ignoring internal turmoil.

AAjus[LTU];6556330 said:
War weariness is stronger in the civilization which declared war.

NO NO NO NO

War Wearines has NOTHING to do with who declared war... it has to do with where the fighting takes place

If the fighting is on "domestic soil" your people are unaffected because you are trying to protect them

If the fighting is on "foreign soil" your people become unhappy because you are sending them somewhere they don't care about to march around/die.

well already been done
(and for the Civ 3 model it was true... and made some sense, rallying around the government in the face of a threat... WWII excellent example)

Top Bottom