1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to slow down tech speed.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Lord Bigfoot, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Lord Bigfoot

Lord Bigfoot King

I love playing Varietas Delectat and its tech expansion but i've always hated how fast the tech speed is.(Same problem I have with Vanilla BTS) anyways how does one edit the XML files to make it so it takes longer to research techs?

2. dohh

dohh Warlord

Play marathon speed.
    Keeping building speed same and reducing teching speed,will give a human player unfair advatage over AI. Games would be much less interesting. Marathon is a very slow speed already...

3. Lord Bigfoot

Lord Bigfoot King

I play on marathon speed exclusively. I still find that in especially the games later stages that you tech to fast.

4. dohh

dohh Warlord

This means You are doing very well. More up a level or 2?

On adequate dif level it should not be a question and You will find rarely that You get techs to fast:DD

Try to play hof chalange series, some challanges or exactly for what You find You are strong - fast teching.

5. Lord Bigfoot

Lord Bigfoot King

I get my arse handed to me on a silver platter every time I try to move up from noble and I quite honestly find it to be the most balanced difficulty IMO.

6. dohh

dohh Warlord

oh:) thats the "issue" then:)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=158130

Noble, is the level where Your research/production rate is equal to AIs. Please read carefully this link.

Try to find what keeps You from playing on higher levels. I promise You that on monarch You will have much more fun already. this includes, longer turns...

7. Lord Bigfoot

Lord Bigfoot King

Honestly I think it's more due to my play style then anything else. I don't like to war unless I absolutely have to.(Like when my closest neighbor is good old Mony.) and as such I only build defensive units. That way doesn't really work past noble i've found.

8. Packers5280

Packers5280 Deity

War is a necessity of the game to do well in higher levels. I know I jumped at least one level when I woke my inner warmonger, instead of avoiding war all the time. Wait until you have tech advantage on an AI (via normal teching or using lib) and pounce. Libbing MT for curs is a good way to start. Or use a civ with an early UU, like egypt or rome.

9. Lord Bigfoot

Lord Bigfoot King

Thus while i'll never move beyond noble. Now back to the original question. How does one edit the tech files to increase the amount of time it takes to research tech?

10. traius

traius His own worst enemy

Do you find that you personally research too fast, or that the AI trades too much and thus the global rate is too fast? Because slowing down the research speed will actually exacerbate the latter. There will be more turns in between your completed research for the AI to trade techs. And they will unless you pit them against one another (which involves handing over techs, lol)

11. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

Fastest way - No tech trading option = much longer game and slower overall tech speed...

12. Lord Bigfoot

Lord Bigfoot King

I find that near the end game i'm getting new tech every 3-5 turns and so is the AI(Now whether that's due to tech trading or not I have no clue. I keep tech trading on as I like to gift techs to the civ I aim to permanently ally with) Basically I want to up the research cost of all techs so it takes longer to get them.

13. Reg Pither

Reg Pither Warlord

14. Lord Bigfoot

Lord Bigfoot King

I tried it but it wouldn't let me edit anything like the person in the last post of the thread said.

15. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

That works very well on higher difficulties also if going for a peaceful victory condition. It's all about diplomacy.

As for editing the XMLs, just change the <iCost> variable of each tech to whatever you like. If the batch editor doesn't work, then you can do it manually.

16. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

I once used a program (editor) where it was possible to change era tech cost using a multiplyer. Cant remember the name and havnt been able to find it myself lately, but it should be in downloads tools section.

Alternativeley you can change tech rate for everyone in civ4handicapinfo.xml researchpercent, and if its only endgameish you can increase inflation.

17. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Everybody has to find their sweet spot.
    I like huge and oversized maps, and I find that marathon works better.
    The units don't scale movement for map size, and sea travel times can become ridiculous.

Sometimes people resent the AI bonuses at higher levels, or like racing for wonders.

To keep tech paces more historical, I might check no technology brokering, and divert science to culture if I get ahead, or go espionage and try and steal techs when I lag.

Sometimes I'm more concerned about tech parity than history, and might be trading techs for less than they are worth , or gifting them, just to set up a late game space race.

Well, like I said, we all have to find our own sweet spot.

18. Dragonxander PR

Dragonxander PR Emperor of the Drakons

I would like something to drastically accelerate the ancient and classical techs but slow down everything afterwards--I don't like it that the early game is mostly spent setting up the empire and it isn't until the Middle Ages that my situation is suitable for big action.

19. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

The higher you move up the quicker the tech rate goes as the AI bonuses kick in!