1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

how to spend $25 at gamestop

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by civvver, Jan 9, 2014.

1. civvver

civvver Deity

So my wife told all my in laws I like video games, which is true, but she forgot to specify pc so I got a $25 gamestop gift card for christmas. Not the most useful to me, as gamestop hasn't been a good place to buy pc games in at least 5 years. They only carry a couple and at full retail prices vs the sale prices you can get online. I also didn't see any steam cards for purchase at their store.

The only console I own is a wii so I was thinking I'd go for a pre owned wii game. Super mario galaxy is supposed to be good, $18 preowned, or there's a newer kirby game called kirby's dream collection which has kirby's dreamland 1 and 2, kirby's adventure, another super nintendo one and the shards one for n64. Or I could throw down an extra $5 and get super mario galaxy 2 preowned. Is 2 that much better than 1?

2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

3. civvver

civvver Deity

You think the sequel is better?

4. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

I'm pretty sure GameStop sells Steam gift cards.

5. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Steam cards

6. civvver

civvver Deity

Nice I didn't see them on the shelf or in their online product search but google searching seems to say they do carry them. Glad I posted this.

7. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Being able to get a steam gift card probably just quadrupled (or more) the value of that present!

However, i wonder if there's a catch that you can't use a gift card to buy a gift card.

8. civvver

civvver Deity

Nope it worked fine. It was just weird, the store at the mall didn't have any steam cards on their rack. They had steam games like bioshock infinite and saint's row 4, but I believe those are game codes, not monetary values, and they were $50. Which makes no sense considering those games are $30 and $40 respectively on steam regular price. On gamestop.com they do not list steam cards either, which is why I thought they didn't have them, but at another store they did have them. However even then they come in weird values, $20 and $50 so I paid another 25 and got a 50, knowing I'll spend it on steam eventually.

9. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

I'm sure they come in weird values so you can't do a straight-up trade, like in your scenario.

10. civvver

civvver Deity

Yeah I just figured normal gift card values are usually 10/25/50 not 20.

11. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

It might also be that while there are plenty of games at a $20 price point there's not many priced at $25.

12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Obviously too late, but for future reference...GameStop has a pretty good selection of games available by digital download. I think you can pay with your gift card on line, but if not you can pay at any store. If I get download games from them I pay cash at the store myself.