how to stop free for all world war?

ZampDiSata

Chieftain
wow! My diplomatic machinations went horribly wrong. I am not that interested in warfare so I decided to ally with the AI's I have agreements with to prevent them from being crushed by aggressive AI's. I had four allies. Then INTEGR declared war on PAC and we all declared war on them and the war was quickly over. Unfortunately it was genocide, but I couldn't stop that. After a few turns of peace, the Slavic Federation decided to declare war on KP and again, it resulted in genocide and peace for a while.
Then it went horribly wrong; after the NSA declared war on KP (why always bully KP?), we all again went to war, but during that war, Polystralia, who were my allies for the trade bonus, also declared war on another ally (I can't even see which one, and it all went to hell from there. Now everyone is at war with everyone else. In all my years of civ, two decades since civ2, this has never happened. I have had everyone declare war on me before, but nothing like this, where alliances caused everyone to be at war with everyone else. How can I prevent this? I can't find where I can request/demand my allies to stop warring among each other. I have a saved game from before the first war, so I can load from there and try to prevent this catastrophe, but I don't know how. I need those allies for the agreements; trade and growth.

Yeah, this has happened to me several times, even though AI's are allies, you need to watch them.

- are they too close to each other (likely to declare war)
- are they allied or even co-op with another AI, which may be having problems with a different AI.
- Are their Affinities aligned.

All of the above can cause AI's to quickly switch and go to war. Thus you need to be ready to change your status so they don't drag you into a war with them.

In Rising Tide you can't prevent AIs from declaring war on each other, because you basically don't have any tools to manipulate diplomacy. Only thing you can do is to not ally tons of other players to prevent some of the chain reactions that you've seen.

Other than that the AIs diplomacy is pretty much on auto-pilot. If you want to manipulate global diplomacy then RT is probably the wrong game for you, Civ 5 didn't do that perfectly, but still a lot better.

Don't ally too many AI civs or you'll be dragged into FFA slaughter. I only ally AI Civ if I know I'll declare war on enemy Civ and my ally can help with that by distracting enemy with it's troops.

Top Bottom