1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

how to stop nukes?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by slo, Dec 7, 2010.

1. slo

slo Chieftain

Is there any type of protection from incoming nukes?
    thanks
    slo

2. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

Good question.

Personally I don't know since I have never been nuked (or seen an AI nuke, yet).

In theory, the Atom Bomb is delivered by a bomber so it should be vulnerable to flak and/or fighters. The nuclear missile should also be vulnerable to flak and/or fighters, but perhaps less so due to it being faster and goes perhaps really high before impact.

But since I have never seen an enemy fighter or an enemy nuke I would also like to know if any kind of AA weapons can intercept any or both of the two. I think I read somewhere that Paratrooper can be intercepted, if so, at least the Atom Bomb should be vulnerable to it.

3. DrunkenPirate

DrunkenPirate Chieftain

Previous Civ games had SDI tech, not sure if 5 does or not.

4. CivFart

CivFart Chieftain

It is possible that fighter jets can sweep nukes, you can sweep nukes in a city with jets, it should logically follow that you can also sweep incoming nukes. I have not tried that yet, but it should be possible considering you can do it the other way around.

The best protection against nukes is to never let one into your territory, use destroyers to keep nuke subs away. If you're neighbour with one you might consider conquering that city in one big blow. Pre-emptive strike is a good option.

When a potential foe gets nukes, I surround his city and prepare one big blow so I can capture his city in one turn. The city is usually heavily guarded with jets if it has nukes so when you capture the city you take alot of his military might down in the same run.

Another way to stop nukes is to make a science deal with him, as long as you're cooperating with him you're safe from nukes.

5. CivFanaticMan

CivFanaticMan Chieftain

The SDI was annoying in pervious civ games. It really underpowered nukes.

6. kamex

kamex Chieftain

I don't understand why they dropped ICBMs too! :S