1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] How to survive on deity?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by paxis, Oct 6, 2019.

1. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

T40 is certainly not an early rush..
    If you are not going domination then my advice is to 1) don't scout so you meet him as late as possible (by that time he may have already found a different victim) and 2) the turn you meet, send a delegation, a free luxury copy or 30 horses as a gift for free, and open borders.

This should bring him up to friendly and you can declare friendship before his agenda comes into play. Good thing is that for a relatively cheap price you permanently rid yourself of this threat for the rest of the game.

Worst cases are when they meet you early and you have nothing to give them.

2. paxis

paxis Chieftain

This is completely different approache you mentioned. Not to scout ... is difficult because exploration gives you many benefits. Gift is possible. Are there other possibilities to increase the relation? How many gold you have to gift?

3. GKShaman

GKShaman Prince

For only AI opponents.

On Deity with computers I notice by T15 there is the early 3 warriors and a slinger rush on me by AI.

At T25 - I better have archers and several and walls if its a border city.

At T50 - its Pikeman or Knights based on if i have iron or not.

For you - build several spearman and archers and ancient walls. If you HAVE to forward settle because of map - then build the military asap to defend it. I usually build 3-4 cities first - then build military and infrastructure, then build 4 more cities/conquer, etc. Constantly building settlers through can keep you drained of pop and production sometimes.

4. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

This is why I've lowered my preferred level a notch or two. I also miss blitz warring and find Imperator Rome a pleasant outlet. They still allow the widespread use of battering rams. Even in the gladiatorial arenas!
    Spoiler Battering Ram :
    Ram2.2.jpg

5. paxis

paxis Chieftain

I took an old save file of the game and tried to improve the relations between me and Alex. This is the result … we are best friends :)

20191007173814_1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Meluhhan, bbbt, MrRadar and 2 others like this.
  6. paxis

paxis Chieftain

After that I just did some "research" about the "favorable trade deal". If you offer lux resource you get +10. You can also give gold but here is a not very clear how it works.

For 100 gold I got: Egipt +5, Mali +9, Greece +6 and Macedon + 6. It looks like every nation have different ranges for the relationship.

For Macedon I found following results:

10 gold +3
    50 gold +3
    100 gold +6
    110 gold +7
    120 gold +8
    140 gold + 9
    150 gold + 10
    277 gold +10

Lap gold: 4 per turn gives only +3

So it is relative easy bribe the AI and be a good friends :)
    I think is is much easier to give gold then to give a lux resource.
    If you combine it with trade routes, declared friend and delegation it will be fine.

7. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

There you go... Playing peaceful does have its benefits... Now feel free to never have to build military for the rest of the game as you focus on building districts and wonders.

Sure you won't win with as low a turn number than if you conquered but you'll win with less clicks and your empire overall looks prettier without the smoking pillaged tiles.

This strat fails though if AI meets you on turn 10 and decides to head your way (always get animal husbandry first since horses are by far the easiest gift)

GKShaman likes this.
  8. paxis

paxis Chieftain

@kb27787 It will be interessting how strong are horses as gift. If you offer 30 units I am sure you get +10 relationship, as you proposed in the previous post. But what happens in turns 10-20 once you have only few horses?

9. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Play as the Aztecs?

10. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

Then wait for a few turns (you have a while before the agendas kick in) or, depending on how negative the first impressions are, send 20-25 instead. You get 2 horses/turn so if you beeline the tech usually you can manage this. Before sending check to see how much gold they would be giving for those horses (though in the end you will give them for free) , if they would only give 1 gold, it means this is worthless to them and most likely they don't have horseback riding yet or they already have horses of their own... Don't bother gifting the horses at this point since you would not get any relationship boost, but you can always check back later.

11. paxis

paxis Chieftain

I did some research and horses have different value for the AI. In turn 31 I had 30 horses and for example Gilgamesh want give me 125 gold for 30 horses and Eleanor only 63. Ones I made gift of 30 horses to Gilgamesh, he gave me +7 relations and Eleanor only +3. So you have to check the value of the horses and then make a gift or not, as you described in your post. The effect of horses seams to be similar to gold. Ones I made a gift of 125 for Gilgamesh I got also +7 relation. As I have seen you can also mix horses and gold.

Conclusion: If you have horses and don't want to spend gold, just give the horses as gift. Before you do it check the value of horses for the AI.

Builderphile likes this.
  12. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Been bribing since the start and espoused it for about a year but everyone was violent back then.
    It does seem to be civ specific rather than mood specific. The trouble is it degrades a point per turn so is an investment if you spread and sustain. I tend to use in short burst to get unhappy civs at least neutral. If unaware there is a chance of getting declared friends with a neutral civ.

WackenOpenAir, paxis and acluewithout like this.
  13. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing Prince

I just played my first Deity game in a while. Well, started the game. The deity rush seems to come later but now with horses. It was more like playing a MP game because I really should have been focused on getting to archers and then getting the classical units. When I try again i'm going to try the appeasement/peaceful route. I did meet both the ottomans and the french right away. I would have guessed wrong on which one to bribe. The french in this case.

14. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

And some of us are still violent today.

15. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

Ultimate test of early diplomacy skills: terra map, marathon speed, deity. There is a big chance AI declares on you before you even finish your first unit, as on Terra mapsripyt civs are closer to each other. I even had start I saw opponent at turn0. If it is Rosevelt, this is certain game over. Of course in my case it was Teddy :p

16. paxis

paxis Chieftain

I checked that and the relation degrades 1 point every 2 turns, so we have more time and can try to better the relation until "declared friend" which gives permanent +9. I think it could be a good way to survive "deity" without spending a lot of production for military units. You need of course gold or horses or both ...

WackenOpenAir likes this.
  17. DizzKneeLand33

DizzKneeLand33 Fall from Heaven 2 still rocks

I'll admit it. The Deity rush when not only are they *cheating* at production but also at combat strength is just too stressful. So, I play what I call "Demigod" now.

Demigod = Deity with the combat bonus removed.

It is *so* much more fun. I don't remember any other Civ series having a combat bonus based on level (other than when fighting barbs) so I don't feel like my adjustment is out of line. ;) It's one thing to get rushed with 6-8 units per civ. It's another to get rushed with units that are all getting bonuses.

I always play Epic, which makes the problem a bit worse (since it takes longer for the human to get enough units to get up to speed).

18. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Pick up production from pop mod. It gives production bonuses to everyone (e.g. each pop point automatically yields 1 production/turn regardless).

Lots more enemy units over time, but in the early game you have more of a chance if you get a bad roll.

Also: CANADA. Canada is one of the best on Deity!

19. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Ah they have changed it then, probably a better value. Thanks for that. I’ll go back to using it then.
    I’ll check the promise values also because they degradation and negatives made a weird case of annoy someone and get a small negative for 30 turns but then it ends up a small positive for 20 at the end.

paxis likes this.
  20. paxis

paxis Chieftain

I'm very interested to get the info about promise values. That would make the "relation story" complete :)