1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Update a Mod?

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by The Turk, Jan 23, 2011.

1. The Turk

The Turk Deity

Hi,

I'm trying to update this mod, to Rhye's latest RFC version. Could someone please tell me how I could do this?

2. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Firstly you find and log all differences between the 1500 AD mod-scenario and the previous version of RFC. Use WinMerge to get a visual representation of any change in any of the files.

Then you add all those changes to the latest version of RFC, one at a time, file by file. Don't make any mistakes and hope that the changes are compatible with the latest version.

3. The Turk

The Turk Deity

Thanks for the help Baldyr, but I'm a tad confused now. I put both folders into WinMerge, but I'm so confused, how can I merge the files now? Is there a button that will merge them for me somehow?

4. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

There is a merge button, but you can't merge the 1500 AD mod-scenario with the current RFC version. It won't work, because its based on another version of the mod. Read my instructions one more time.

5. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

No program can magically merge files for you. WinMerge just helps you to find out where the two different versions differ; you have to decide what part of which version you want to use for your merged version.

Practically I suggest using the current version of RFC as base and merging everything in that obviously looks like it's connected to the new scenario (units and technologies and the like).

Mind that you can't do that if the 1500 AD scenario uses a custom DLL.

6. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

WinMerge can - just hit merge down or merge all or something - but the point is that you don't want that. Because then you end up with an invalid mod.

This is my point exactly.

And this is why you firstly log all the changes between the 1500 AD scenario and the previous version of RFC that it is based upon. There should be numerous changes, but chances are that not all of those can be applied directly on the latest version of RFC. So the "merge" still needs to be done with care.

Yes he can. He just needs to do the same as above with the SDK and compile a new custom DLL.

7. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Of course, but setting up an SDK was a barrier he was not willing to take before, so I figured it's better to not consider it yet.

8. The Turk

The Turk Deity

Ya, I rather not play around will DLL yet. I rather just take the fast easy route to update the game, and just redo any work that was overwritten. Anyway, there are a few aspects of the mod I would like to redo and change.

But nonetheless thanks guys for your help! :goodjob:

9. The Turk

The Turk Deity

Ok I'm REALLY failing at this. How do I log then? What my first step? I have both a 1500 AD start folder and another RFC folder (updated to the latest version). So what do I do next? And how?

10. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Open both folders with WinMerge ("compare"). It will then tell you for each file if they are identical or if they contain differences. The latter are those which you will have to take care of, obviously.

Clicking on one of the differing files (in case it's a text file, but all relevant are) you'll get both versions of it next to each other with all differences marked. I assume that the changes made in the 1500 AD scenario compared to the then current version of RFC were smaller than those between the different versions of RFC, so it's wise to use the recent RFC version as your base and paste everything that belongs to the 1500 AD mod into it.

So for every difference between both folders there are two reasons:

1) It's a change made for the 1500 AD mod
    2) It's because the RFC base mod was changed there.

So your task is to decide what belongs to (1) (this is what you want to copy) and what belongs to (2) (this is what you don't want to change).

I'm fairly sure (1) makes up only a minority, probably scattered within the XML files, Python (Consts.py and RiseAndFall.py, maybe Victory.py seem very likely) and the WBsave itself of course. Everything else can probably stay the same. This is of course only a rough guideline, in the end you have to decide in every single instance.

11. The Turk

The Turk Deity

Thanks for the help Leoreth, but unfortuantly I don't know what the mod creator changed exactly, so I can't really update it. I tried to, and when I tried to start up the game, it just crashed :(

I really have no clue which file I CAN change and which file I CANNOT change, according to the changes -____-"

12. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

If the creator of the modmod didn't leave comments, it's your educated guess to decide what belongs to it. Obvious aspects would seem to be starting dates, granted techs, granted units ...

13. The Turk

The Turk Deity

I think I'm just going to copy the WBS save, SDK (the founder), is not responding, for pretty obvious reasons, so I'm going to discard all his other changes, and just keep his starting date at 1500. Actually, does anybody know where I can change the starting date from?

14. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

You can try to do so, but you'll probably get issues, because techs and units at least would have to be adapted to your scenario.

15. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

I'm sorry, The Turk, but making new starting dates for RFC scenarios is awfully difficult. The mod was never built for this in mind. So the creator of the 1500 AD scenario had the right idea. If I had the time I'd gladly update it myself, because I'd like to make a Moscovy scenario based on it. :p

16. The Turk

The Turk Deity

lol, I'd love it if you would help me update it, and I'm sure you want to make a Muscovy modmod (considering all the new Bakuel units that have been released), but I'm going to continue to try and update it, its just really annoying though, and there must be a file that effects starting date.

17. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

You're not getting the point: RFC is designed in a way that it doesn't allow for any other scenarios than the 3000 BC and 600 AD ones. This is in fact the reason why the AD 1500 "scenario" is a mod-mod and not simply another WBS. Because there is not way that it could be done.

Why is it so? Well, Rhye never intended the mod to be used with any other scenarios. So all the tens of thousands of lines of code doesn't accommodate this. What the author of the AD 1500 mod-scenario did, is to remake the entire RFC mod. Every aspect of it affected by the fact that the default scenarios aren't used.

Still not making any sense? Well, consider the fact that RFC sports some 100 custom values that are stored and saved with Python scripts. These affect many aspect of the mod's various features, and the current code only supports the two starting situations. If you simply make a new scenario the game won't know whether or not the Conquerers event has already taken place, if there is a plague on-going or what the stability values of the players are. Just to name a few values that would have to be set especially for the new scenario.

So your initial intention was the correct one - update the entire AD 1500 mod-scenario to the latest version of RFC. But this is pretty much a programming job, so you might as well learn programming first. :p Other than that I explained how to do this without being able to read the actual code in my first reply.

18. The Turk

The Turk Deity

So there is no way I can update this mod, other than if I know programming?? If someone has the time (and the ability), could someone please possibly update this for me.

19. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

The way to update it is basically to 1. isolate the changes made by the author of the mod and 2. implement those changes that apply to the current version. Very straight forward but extremely time consuming. Especially the testing and debugging...