How to use a battering ram??

jonpfl

Prince
All,

I have a battering ram outside a city but have NO clue how to attack the city with it? It comes up and it shows the city square as red but I cannot click on it.

What am I supposed to do?

Thx
jonpfl

Battering ram is a support unit -- it cannot attack anything. It provides a bonus to attacking melee units (attack walls with no penalty). So bring up a warrior, spearman, swordsman, horseman, etc. to do the actual attack.

To my knowledge, if the city has a wall your melee units will do reduced damage to it. Having the Battering ram will allow your melee units to do full damage to the walls.

So bring up a warrior, spearman, swordsman, horseman, etc. to do the actual attack.

Pretty sure horseman doesn't fall under the 'melee' category, and thus doesn't receive the bonus. Melee, light cav, and heavy cav are all separate categories.

Pretty sure horseman doesn't fall under the 'melee' category, and thus doesn't receive the bonus. Melee, light cav, and heavy cav are all separate categories.

Yes and no. You are right that melee, anti-cav, light cav and heavy cav are all different unit classes (Promotion classes to use the Civ6 term). However, the game also refers to these 4 classes as melee units as they don't have ranged attacks.

For the purpose of battering rams and siege towers, its the type of attack that counts. So battering rams and towers do work for cavalry.

To my knowledge, if the city has a wall your melee units will do reduced damage to it. Having the Battering ram will allow your melee units to do full damage to the walls.

So having a battering ram and attacking a city without a wall is useless?

Thx
jonpfl

Battering ram is a support unit -- it cannot attack anything. It provides a bonus to attacking melee units (attack walls with no penalty). So bring up a warrior, spearman, swordsman, horseman, etc. to do the actual attack.
This

Also, don't all support type units grant a +2 attack bonus to adjacent units (provided you have the correct civic unlocked)?

A support bonus is gained with military tradition and provides +2 to adjacent unit in defence only. but not from ranged units. You do not see this value against your own troops as it's only in defence. Often you do not see the enemy getting it because they beeline religion and ignore military tradition (idiots) When facing Gilga carts having 3 support units giving +6 to a fortified (+6) barb in the open is pretty good.

A support unit (battering ram, tower) is rather different and helps you attacking walls

For example my swordsman only does 15% of its damage against a wall but a ram turns that into 100%
A tower allows you to bypass the wall and go straight for the garrison which you are not 15% fighting.
As a garrison is always 200HP using a ram against even renaissance walls is better than a tower but once you have modern walls with 200HP you may as well use a tower unless you want to give your troops more XP by taking down the walls first.

melee ships like galleys, caravels, and destroyers can also utilize the battering ram ability. Not sure if this was intended. But pretty nifty when playing as Norway.

Top Bottom