How to Win Naval Battle - Any Strategy for REF?

You need a big navy; at least twice many as the REF, preferably 3 times. I recently finished my first game where I did just that. I had 22 warships, 5 priv, 7 frigates, 10 SOL's, to the Kings's 9 MOW's. But I had 4 SOL under construction and plenty of money to rush them out right after my DOI. I set up a line of Privateers, then a line of frigates with the SOL's in the rear. Used the privateers in a wave to weaken the first line of MOW's, then the frigates. After they were reduced in strength they were easy picking for my SOL's. In all I lost about half my navy, but wiped out the REF.

This is not that hard to do if you build up your industrial base early. You need several port cities to build the ships; I had 4 and that was plenty. Of course they each had ironworks, armories, lumbermills fully staffed with professionals. Sometimes they produced so much I had to lay half or more of them off and still had plenty of stuff.

The naval victory is not that difficult as most people think, as the REF formula deemphasizes ships; it only adds 50% ships, although that is easily changed in xml.

The naval victory is not that difficult as most people think, as the REF formula deemphasizes ships; it only adds 50% ships, although that is easily changed in xml.
if your eastern seaboard has settlements and is 3 or 4 tiles from Europe, the REF warships can land troups and make amphibious attacks on their very first appearance

you put a line of privateers on the first tile form Europe, a line of frigates on the second tile from Europe and a line of SOL on the third tile from Europe? is naval strategy "do or die" with no dragoons or soldiers except to fight off a few natives? does it work on the hardest difficulty setting?

given the numbers you cited, you must have had less than 10 easternmost tiles to protect, otherwise the REF warships would have just sailed around your lines of defense

I'm quoting myself here, but I just got my first naval victory. Finished in 1694, Conquistador, Large, Epic (with the pathetic normalized score of 590). I declared in May 1689 at 65% sentiment with 9 privateers (and a frigate from John Paul not the Pope). I had two admirals, and 1 privateer had 3 stars while 7 had 2 stars and 1 was a rookie. The REF had only 4 warships, plus 18/12/14 other units. I placed some caravels at sea adjacent to Isabella, mostly as bait. [There were only 3 sea tiles between Isabella and the border, so my plan was to attack the REF after the first landings.]

When the REF first showed up they only sent 3 MoW, two of which attacked caravels. Both caravels escaped! Yes, they were both down to 0.3, but one had taken an MoW down to 10.4. Twelve units landed.

I counterattacked, but I only had 4 privateers in range, along with the frigate. I sent in a 2-star which was sunk, but the frigate finished that one off. Sent in another 2-star and it was sunk, but the 3-star admiral finished it off. Sent in another 2-star and it was sunk, leaving the MoW at 8.4 or so. So on the first turn I traded 3 privateers for 2 MoW and damaged a third. Meanwhile on land my dragoons killed 12 units without losses.

On the next turn a miracle occurred: the third MoW attacked a caravel, and the caravel sunk the MoW (and had 2.4 points left!!)

A few turns later the remaining MoW showed up, landing 4 units. I attacked those, and the dragoons went 4 for 4. Then my second admiral attacked the MoW and sank it. Victory, with 28 REF land units stuck in Spain.

However, it looks my naval effort was almost unnecessary. My dragoons killed 16 units without loss, while the navy sank 4 and lost 3 (actually, the navy sank 3 and the merchant marine sank 1). All hail the mighty caravels, with three fighting Men-of-War without losing a ship!

[The key to this result was Simon Bolivar's bonus to combat strength, plus the late LB surge that minimized the size of the Royal Navy.]

No joelwest. The rear line was right on my coast. The second line was one to two tiles from the coast and the front line one to two out from that. We were 10 to 12 tiles from Europe, and our east coast was relatively small. We had islands off our east coast and could use them as part of our defensive line by proper ship placement, with picket ships at the outer ends to warn us of enemy approach if they had tried to go around.

Thus I was able to force them to come in between the islands and right at the strength of our fleet. As I said, we lost about half our fleet, but sank 9 MOW's doing it.

I guess I should compliment myself on my strategy, using what was available to aid our cause; but that is a large part of what strategy is. This would not work in all circumstances. If you were close to Europe, even 5-8 tiles and had a long coast with several settlements you would need a different stragegy; probably to station your ships to intercept as many of theirs as possible and take them out before they land troops, hoping to eliminate half of them and thus reduce their land force considerably.

I think it is unwise to neglect your navy because you can't win a naval battle. The American Navy during the Revolutionary War was effective against the Brithish. True, they could never rule the seas against them, but they fought effectively against them and did win some engagements. Overall they were able to hamper the British Navy enough to eventually give the colonials an advantage, especially after the French joined us. This was of course aided by the fact the British Navy had many responsibilities in other parts of the world and could only devote so much of their fleet to the Americas. And they had other enemies in those waters.

Maybe this is why the REF only apportions 50% as much ships to it's force?

Unfortunately no. There's no diplomacy or interaction at all hardly between you and the empires (kings) of other nations. Just you and your king.

Though, one time I did send a privateer to attack a British man-o-war when I was playing as the French.

Lost my privateer.

I've found that Naval Victories are the easiest way to win. Just be the Spanish Leader who has -50% experience. When you first get to the new world send out your scouts like always. After they are experienced turn them into dragoons. Buy a couple of cannons, kill the aztec and mayans (get lots of money) and whatever tribe you end up embedded in. Then use the great generals from all that to upgrade Ship of the Lines. Six stars gets you +75% strength.

Also if you can find a rather weak european opponent wipe them out and figure out where their caravel is spawning. You can just obliterate it over and over and over again. It will literally keep reappearing and giving your ships experience until you get tired of killing them.

I've had 4 SOL's before that were each stronger than my kings Man O Wars. He wouldn't even attack my SOL's. With rebel sentiment in open sea I had an 85% chance of winning. So I'd attack, then pull back the injured ships to the same tile as an undamaged SOL.

Sunk my kings 14 MOW's with minimal units landed on my shore. Ended up with a SOL with 103/99 exp. There is no more promotions past 99 exp btw. But 75% strength and 60% chance of withdrawl with 6 movement is a pretty unbeatable combo. In a fitting coincidence Santa Anna was the general aboard that boat.

You need a big navy; at least twice many as the REF, preferably 3 times.

You don't need that many ships if you are good at naval warfare tactics. I have defeated roughly a dozen Manowars with eleven Ships of the Line and two Frigates.

Attack an isolated Manowar in an ocean tiles with 2 SotL's. You will lose the first, but probably win with the second. The result is that you can trade SotL's for a Manowar at slightly worse than a 1 to 1 ratio. You should plan on building a couple more SotL's than the REF has Manowars.

You won't be able to take out the REF all at once with this strategy, but you can quickly whittle down the amount of troops they can land at once, and after roughly three landings you will have enough opportunities to allow you to completely destroy the REF navy.

I think the only way you can win naval victory is by having at least the same number of SoLs as king has Man-o-wars, and have a 100% rebel sentiment. So that will make 8 strength SoL into a 12 strength one. Promotions help ofcourse. Problem is if you wait to 100% rebel, you risk having even larger REF, plus the amount of hammers, tools and guns needed for so many SoLs, I think land victory is way easier, you only need like half the troops the king has, plus if you play as one of the spanish guys your rebel sentiment over 50% is doubled when applied to the strength bonus, really nice.

As long as they cant land in one turn its easy, just build about 8 SOTL, 10 for an even easier win. Kill all you're people except statesmen and one food guy so all you're settlements are pop 4, Go hard on the bells and get over 50% rebel sentiment in 3 turns (so you VS 5 Opponent warships), By the time the ships arrive from Europe you have 100% rebel sentiment, crush them.

I usually can't pump out enough ships. Ergo, I make a defensive line of whatever ships I have ( Galleons ,caravels, etc.). They normally weaken the MoW's down to 9 or 8 strength. If you have enough you can really wreck the Royal Navy before they get a Limey on your land :D!

I too find the Naval strategy the easiest way to beat the REF... but I can't always prevent landings if my cities are too close to the shipping lanes. I'd rather not sacrifice my ships or split them up to thinly... I try to determine which cities the King will try for (and move my fleets if I was wrong), and split my navy into 2 or 3 super fleets. I use Frigates to weaken the vessels (I usually have a lot of them thanks to dutch economy), and go in for the kill (and xp) with my SOTL. It takes a few waves, but one the navy is defeated, then the game is one... any troops they landed are unimportant.

Top Bottom