How viable are Ziggarauts?

Kimurae

Chieftain
Would it make sense to prioritize builders over campuses and build 1-2 ziggarauts per city first?

I haven't done the whole calculations but I don't think so.

The reason is because campuses don't need a citizen assigned to them (for the beginning) when you're just relying on the adjacency bonus, while each ziggarut needs a citizen.

I think it really only helps with the first couple turns where building a campus is too large of an effort. And mid-game where there's some useless tiles/ extra citizens lying around.

+2 science +1 culture is pretty good, Sumeria could ignore both campus and theater squares and still do well in both culture and science.

A ziggurat give about the same science and culture as 3 citizen give in passive effect.

Ziggurat beats farms in terms of housing spent to get science and culture.

Working a ziggurt cost 1 housing while working a farm cost only 0.5 housing. But a ziggurat worker is worth 4 citizen while 2 farmers are only worth 2 citizens.

Last edited:
Its really good in food heavy location where you cant build anything with the city.
Remember that +2science in civ6 is a bigger deal than in civ5. You get between 100 and 200 science in civ6 at the end while its 1000 to 2000 in civ5.

That said, I wouldnt prioritize it in the early game. First have a nice small empire which mostly require production and food.

First? Probably not. But they are really good after the city has grown a bit.

The Petra makes them ridiculous, by the way. Nothing else to build on those desert tiles, and the ziggurat makes them insanely good. (2 food, 1 production 2 gold 2 science)

Last edited:
Well it helps keeping up, I guess. It's all over the place right now, but it seems with housing and amenities replacing happiness, there doesn't seem to be any point in going tall so the better individual tiles, the better your cities will be

Ziggurats seem quite good but campuses will give great people point, and free libraries, universties and bonuses to these are invaluable.

Yes, you want both, but the question was whether to prioritise builders for ziggurats over campuses.
Actually, they don't really compete.
In early game, you may well do that, but a city you fond later on you can rush the campus buildings with gold so it's more efficient to build the campus.
Builders can be rushed or built form another city, so the two features d'ont really compete:
Early on:Ziggurats (you can't do districts anyway).
When you can: Start building campuses.
Late cities: Campus locally, builders remotely for ziggurats and gold to buy buidlings or local builders.

I've played both my games as Gilgamesh, and I don't build these anymore. Science is just too easy to come by, and you're better off going for food/housing with the farms to get the growth. The big bottleneck in the game so far is production, but I suppose getting far ahead in science could be useful if you have enough gold to buy most things.

Can you place ziggurats on good tiles, with at least 3 yield, like marshes, forests, or wheat?

Early game those are the only tiles I work, so working a plain 2 food tile instead would be a high price for a little science and culture.

Top Bottom