How/When to Decide Victory Type?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Rager, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Rager

Rager Chieftain

Hi,

Looking to get some help from the Civ veterans out there.

How early in the game do you generally decide "I'm going for a (insert victory type) victory in this game"? What helps you make that strategic decision?

I've only played a handful of games on Prince, and have gone into each one with a specific victory type in mind. Usually the victory type that the leader's traits lean towards.

I like the idea of putting most of the map settings on random and exploring the world without knowing what to expect in terms of land type, number of civs, resources, etc. However, I need some practice on deciding what victory to go for before I can successfully put that into practice.

Thanks,
    Rager

2. hix

hix Warlord

I usually build a base of two cities while scouting.

Then, decide either to expand through settlers or attacking a neighbor.

I would say here is the fork in the road, after you have built your base, you need to decide which victory and plan your city count accordingly.

3. bpheater

bpheater Chieftain

For me, iron plays a huge role in my decision. Iron seems a little scarce to me in Civ V, so if I have it, I use it. If I have a decent amount of iron, pretty much the whole continent can count on getting wiped out. It might not fully happen until later in the game; but I can pretty much bank on a conquest/domination win if I start out with a decent amount of iron.

For diplomacy/space race, I'll decide later in the game based off how many civs are left and how much they like me/how far ahead I am in techs.

**This is all based off of a player who plays on Prince difficulty ;). I know, I'm still new to Civ V though.

4. Lessa

Lessa Chieftain

Initially I would make a decision on how to start based on the leader. If I get India, Egypt or Siam come up I know I will be going small empire/culture. Aztecs/Japanese, I'm going war. Someone more in the middle, I will probably REX, possibly taking about my nearest neighbor to free up space.

Once the first war is over or I have REXed to a good size it is time to take stock and see where I stand. If I have a good size empire an friendly neighbors I'll probably dig in for a space victory. Large army still around, well someone must have land they don't realise is mine yet.

To be honest I don't tend to go for Domination victories very often as by the time you have taken 2-3 AIs out you have essentially won and at that point fighting wars I know I can win when it is easier to coast to a Diplomatic victory doesn't appeal (I am a builder at heart).

5. kamex

kamex Emperor

Play your chosen leader to their strengths.

Best to choose victory earlier than later (critical for cultural).

Depends on who your neighbors are / strategic resources / isolated start etc.

6. MykC

MykC Warlord

If I'm going for cultural, I know that I'm going for cultural before I start.

Otherwise its Domination which always turns into, well I've taken 40-50% of the map and I have a lot of money.... so I'll just build the UN and call it a day.

7. pickle

pickle Lord of the Preserves

yeah, cultural is the only one that really needs any planning.
    and all that is different there is that you don't build many cities of your own, just puppet instead.