How will Civ IV use XML?

I like Harriers idea. In waiting for Civ 4 to come out ive spent a good bit of time reading up on python but have no use for it just yet. A special forum for python in civ would be nice.

Harrier said:
Easy to learn maybe. But probably not easy to master by people who have not programmed before. :)

I can forsee hundreds of posts from people asking why their python program does not do what they intended.

Maybe Thunderfall should consider having a forum dedicated to python and XML queries and questions only once Civ4 is released. So as not to frighten away those only interested in playing the game.

Well if u check the "want to learn how to mod civ4 today?" thread, people are already learning python, and are already posting questions why their code dont work. But thats a learning progress. Sometimes you have to ask.

Harrier said:
Maybe Thunderfall should consider having a forum dedicated to python and XML queries and questions only once Civ4 is released. So as not to frighten away those only interested in playing the game.
Santanz Child said:
A special forum for python in civ would be nice.
Layout of the Civ4 Forums is being discussed in Staff right now. ;)

There will probably be a Python/XML/SDK/etc. forum(s) under the Creation & Customization forum. (Or maybe C&C will be under a Python/XML/etc. forum! :crazyeye:)

Padma said:
Layout of the Civ4 Forums is being discussed in Staff right now. ;)

There will probably be a Python/XML/SDK/etc. forum(s) under the Creation & Customization forum. (Or maybe C&C will be under a Python/XML/etc. forum! :crazyeye:)

That would be great. :)

You would probably also want to put a sticky in the game players forums, reminding people to only post python/XML/SDK threads/posts in the relevant forum. :)

Rexflex said:
Another possible (but less likely to be used) structure of the XML is this :

<units>
<unit name="warrior" movement="1" attack="1" defence="1" cost="10"/>
<unit name="settler" movement="1" attack="0" defence="0" cost="20"/>
</units>

Actually, I'd think that would be more likely, since a unit should have exactly one setting for name, movement, strength (not attack and defense), and production cost. Those are also not data that require non-alphanumeric characters either, so making a separate element is unnecessary.

warpstorm said:
Yes, but Python is one of the easiest languages to learn. Look at the sticky thread obove here for much more info of head on over to www.python.org for more than you want to know about it.
I think it's less the language that will trip people up than the programming itself. Python is a lot more beginner-friendly than C or C++, but it's not going to be easy.

Rexflex said:
Another possible (but less likely to be used) structure of the XML is this :

<units>
<unit name="warrior" movement="1" attack="1" defence="1" cost="10"/>
<unit name="settler" movement="1" attack="0" defence="0" cost="20"/>
</units>

I would have to agree. this is more likely going to be teh style. There may be a few non-attribute type elements for other various things in the interface.

I did a few mods for the World of Warcraft interface and alot of the data was in the above attribute style.

Top Bottom