1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How will Civ IV use XML?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by TastySheriff, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Santanz Child

Santanz Child Chieftain

I like Harriers idea. In waiting for Civ 4 to come out ive spent a good bit of time reading up on python but have no use for it just yet. A special forum for python in civ would be nice.

2. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Well if u check the "want to learn how to mod civ4 today?" thread, people are already learning python, and are already posting questions why their code dont work. But thats a learning progress. Sometimes you have to ask.

3. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

Layout of the Civ4 Forums is being discussed in Staff right now. ;)

There will probably be a Python/XML/SDK/etc. forum(s) under the Creation & Customization forum. (Or maybe C&C will be under a Python/XML/etc. forum! :crazyeye:)

4. Harrier

Harrier Deity

That would be great. :)

You would probably also want to put a sticky in the game players forums, reminding people to only post python/XML/SDK threads/posts in the relevant forum. :)

5. apatheist

apatheist Emperor

Actually, I'd think that would be more likely, since a unit should have exactly one setting for name, movement, strength (not attack and defense), and production cost. Those are also not data that require non-alphanumeric characters either, so making a separate element is unnecessary.

I think it's less the language that will trip people up than the programming itself. Python is a lot more beginner-friendly than C or C++, but it's not going to be easy.

6. weakciv

weakciv Prince

I would have to agree. this is more likely going to be teh style. There may be a few non-attribute type elements for other various things in the interface.

I did a few mods for the World of Warcraft interface and alot of the data was in the above attribute style.