1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How will we settle the empty lands - this is the real one!!!

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by Zwelgje, Jan 11, 2003.

?

What settle plan do you support?

1. Plan A - Big cities

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Plan B - Tightly packed, smaller cities

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Plan C - Your own plan which is of course much better than mine!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

There are 2 areas visible on the map that haven't been claimed by anyone yet, even though they are nice areas capable of supporting good cities.

Area empty-land is located east of the Persians and contains two beautiful peninsulas filled with shielded grassland, ideal for high trade, high population city sites.
    The rest of this area is somewhat less fertile yet has some nice specials that will generate enough food and shields to support cities worthy of being part of the great NUF empire!

Just take a look at this beauty!

Area empty-islands is located to the west of our main continent and south of India. The Indians have already showed some interest in one of these three islands. All these islands can support at least one city with a special in its radius, with the trade generated by the surrounding ocean these cities are potentially great money makers!
    All we have to do is claim these island to be ours and put cities on them!

Look, look these islands are great: great trade opportunities and strategic places: we can keep an eye on the Indians, Russians and Greeks from there!

The reason why I show you these sites is the following:
    It's obvious we need to settle these sites before the AI does, however settling these amounts of land requires lots of engineers. There are (in my eyes) two ways of settling these lands.
    Plan A: Settle these lands with a few big cities (city radius not overlapping). This will require not too many engineers while at the same time we claim the land and other civs can't settle there and thereby we prevent their expansion.
    Plan B: Settle more compact (more cities with overlap in city radius). This will require more engineers but will give us more security too, as forces can travel from one city to another faster as the distances between them are shorter.

As you can see there are advantages and disadvantages to both plans. I would like to know what your opinion is citizens of the mighthy NUF empire!

Please vote:
    Plan A - Big cities
    Plan B - Tightly packed cities
    Plan C - Your own plan which is of course much better than mine! ;)

After the results of this poll I will make new city-plans for these plans (next weekend).

2. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

I voted for Plan B - ICS Infinite City Sprawl - of course, tightly packed cities. I know we won't do that, but I had to get it out there.

Actually, a combination plan is best. Taking Aonia for example, we have REGIA CIVITAS, Elysium, Civvium, TFalls and Castle Jayne that can use all available squares. Bedfont Lakes will sport a Sewer some day, but Little Nemo, Nemo Bay, and Gabba Gabba may never even have a Temple.

I assume we will soon be a Democracy.

The top picture illustrates beautifully why Persia is such a tempting target. Tarsus is fine, but why let the AI ruin other good spots such as Gordium? Btw, we no longer have time to disband Gordium, plan for it where the AI built it, methinks. This game is nearly over.

We have MANY Cities that can create Engineer after Engineer. Octavia of course, Mordhiemia and Monks Towne a while longer, and new food powerhouses: Melampyrum, Capricornium, Hladir, surely others. Others can build many Dips and a few Dragoons. We have Muskets already coming out of our eyeballs - I see one on holiday in Mordhiemia.

3. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

With the Perisa map, iirc, when our caravel was there it was nearer Gordium than any other city. So that area must be empty. Gordium is so far from the rest of Persia, I guess it was a hut. Also as it is so far away, it's probably cheap. Salzburg has a caravel and dip in it. Anyone want to bribe it?

4. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

Yes, it's a good place to start expanding from. If we can build a few quick engineers, or other units, and block the peninsula, and the path to the russians, that part of the continent is definitely ours.

5. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

I completely agree with bribing Gordium, if we want to settle these lands we shouldn't have one Persian city sitting there in between. It's just asking for trouble to just leave it there. Let's bribe it with the diplo in Salzburg. After that the Persians might even ask for a cease fire. :D

It's a nice idea to block the Persians and Russians. I'd like to block the Russians in those high mountains near Wladiwostok, it will require more units than to block them closer (on the lonely mountain) but there is a channel city site that I would like to build. :)

I've made this plan:

6. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

Excellent plan! You're so good to us with these maps! I've added them into the Land Registry (in Game Information thread)

7. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

I don't have much to do now, I'm just staring at a machine that's working for me and all I have to do is check if it's doing a good job. Now there is a Mac that I'm typing on right now and I figured that I could make a settlement plan for the empty islands as well. But this Mac doesn't have a drawing program installed.... What's up with that? All Windows computers have Paint and Mac has nothing??? :mad:
    Anyway, I'll describe my plan. :D
    Look at the empty island pic, there are three islands:
    small left
    big right
    small right

On the small islands I want to build one city each.
    Small left: N NW of whale on shielded grassland
    Small right: NE of iron

On big right island I want to build two cities (Gary will like this ;) )
    S SE of fish on forest
    3SE of the first city

Objections? :D

8. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

How's this?

9. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

Looks good!
    On the big island I meant 3 SE, not 3 SW though... ;)
    The result is the same though. :)

Or shall we fit 3 cities on the big island? (I can hear Gary yelling "Yesss!!!" even on this side of the ocean! :lol: ;) )

10. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

3SE and 3SW, Yess!

Green NE of Forest is another possibility. Is the Viking Cat sitting on Forest?

11. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

I don't think so.

12. Mr Spice

Mr Spice Emperor

I vote for plan A (big cities) since an infinite number of small cities will be a pain to manage in a demo game. Civ1's and Jayne's plan of city placement seems perfect to me! :)

13. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

Excellent plans, Jayne and Civ1. :D

14. Elsaak

Elsaak European und Réunionnais

that means :
    4 settlers for the Three-Islands Provinces, + 11 settlers and 2 Dips for the Russo-Persian Land

Whaooooooo !!!

15. heliogabalus

heliogabalus Warlord

I support the city plans that have been laid out in this thread. As far as I can see, no conflicting ideas have yet been put before our eyes. The patterns look good.

The big island should have only 2 cities, I think. Otherwise it would be too crowded.

16. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Now that we are settling these lands, here was the latest plan.

17. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

I was aware of this plan Duke, it's still on my harddisk! ;)
    I'm a bit hesitant though to build the two cities on the coast of the inland sea as Persian ships have been sailing there constantly: both frigates and ironclads. So I would like our ships to be dominant over there before I settle those two spots.
    I've got another idea too: we'll be going for conquest in this game but I will keep Susa alive and then save the game before I'll finally finish Susa as well. By doing that people can end the game themselves too and see how it ends. On top of that people can at home play the game to an end by building the spaceship and settling all the land we have left untouched.
    Then everybody can be happy! :)

18. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

Nice idea!!!