How will wonders/social policies/buildings/UAs stack?

Modiga-Disabled

Warlord
There are many overlaps between these different branches, allowing for powerful combinations. A lot of them don't pose a problem of how the mechanic will work because they offer increases of outputs, which can be stacked indefinitely.

Some, however, provide decreases to the necessary inputs. To give examples the monetary and cultural costs of buying tiles, the cost to upgrade units, the cost to buy buildings and units.

To go into details:

The Angkor Wat provides -75% cultural cost to purchase tiles in all cities.
Russia's Kreposts provide a -50% cultural cost.
Usually in civ games percentages are additive. Of course, if that's the case here Russia tile costs would be better than free. Cumulative is the other option, which would make the cost -87.5%. Stunningly cheap.

Monarchy provides -50% gold purchasing cost of tiles.
America's UA gives them -25% gold purchasing cost.
Giving either -75% or -62.5%. Not quite as extreme as the previous example.

Big Ben gives -25% cost for purchasing production in cities.
Mercantilism also gives -25% cost for purchasing items in cities.
Either -50% or -43.8%
Also, Militarism gives -33% cost for purchasing units.
Making the total either -83% or -62%

The Pentagon gives -50% upgrade cost for units.
Professional Army gives -50% gold upgrade costs for units
Either -100% or -75%

One would have to assume these bonuses are cumulative, rather than additive. Otherwise you can potentially get free upgrades for all your units and city tiles for no cultural cost.

England can potentially get +4 movement (3 for embarked units) and +2 line of sight (+3 for Ship of the Line), as far as I can tell. England would be a force to be reckoned with if they lie across the ocean from you.

England can potentially get +4 movement (3 for embarked units) and +2 line of sight (+3 for Ship of the Line), as far as I can tell. England would be a force to be reckoned with if they lie across the ocean from you.

Or if you're unfortunate enough to have many coastal cities near where they've settled. :wow:

I Think That some of them will be multiplicative and others additive

ie India's ability is probably x1/2 :( from pop rather than -50%
probably the same with Greece's

Particularly one's that are -50%
(Although it would be interesting if a Professional Pentagon Army got free unit upgrades, or Russian construction of Angor Wat + a Krepost resulted them in claiming all free tiles in the world instantly)

Pentagon one's not so bad because you're still limited to having units to upgrade. It would allow you to spam unit production though; build the cheapest upgradeable unit and upgrade it to something top tier, reducing production time. Pentagon is also fairly late-game.

Free tiles would be a pretty major problem though. Angkor Wat is also a much much earlier wonder. You might even be able to get theology as a free tech after building the great library.

Not related to the topic but...

Personally I would love to see a war between England and Russia or (more specifically), Arabia. I'm curious to see if England's advantage would put their navy on top given an equal resource spread.

Per topic, yea... it's probably cumulative.

Actually it seems Arabia lost their resource bonus in favor of a pure gold one
(+2 per trade route, instead of +1 and 2x oil)

I missed that, well that's a damn shame. They were one of the first civs I was going to play due to the size of their modern navy (Since all other oil units upgrade to alluminum-based ones)..

damn shame.

Interesting. I wonder if the "prove the world is round" thing still exists. Should be neat to see how England works with that. ;)

The "Magellan" achievement is for proving the world is round (although it sounds like you actually need a connected tile path this time rather than just one tile at each abscissa), so the code to check for it is there. Whether it gives the same bonus I can't say.

The Angkor Wat provides -75% cultural cost to purchase tiles in all cities.
Russia's Kreposts provide a -50% cultural cost.
Usually in civ games percentages are additive. Of course, if that's the case here Russia tile costs would be better than free. Cumulative is the other option, which would make the cost -87.5%. Stunningly cheap.
This is based on a misconception, at least, according to the manual. The Krepost adds 50% to culture growth, it doesn't subtract from the amount needed. So two culture in a city becomes three, and with Angkor Wat the amount that three culture/turn is working towards is simply reduced by 75%. It doesn't mean -125% culture expansion cost.

The Pentagon gives -50% upgrade cost for units.
Professional Army gives -50% gold upgrade costs for units
Either -100% or -75%
If you've managed to adopt all the way to Professional Army and secure the Pentagon I think you deserve free upgrades. It's basically the same as Leonardo's Workshop.

This is based on a misconception, at least, according to the manual. The Krepost adds 50% to culture growth, it doesn't subtract from the amount needed. So two culture in a city becomes three, and with Angkor Wat the amount that three culture/turn is working towards is simply reduced by 75%. It doesn't mean -125% culture expansion cost.

If you've managed to adopt all the way to Professional Army and secure the Pentagon I think you deserve free upgrades. It's basically the same as Leonardo's Workshop.
Agreed. And that's also how Civ4 worked. If you had a library and a university, both giving +25%, their modifiers both worked on the base value, e.g. 10 became 15.0 and not 15.625. Ditto for have a +10% strength promotion and a +25% fortify bonus became 35% extra strength and not 37.5%.

For negative values, it seems logical it's the same way, so two times -50% means free upgrades.

The manual is self-contradicting then. I think I see where you're referencing:
"Effects: A Russian Unique Building, it increases the City’s cultural border
growth by +50%. Also, the Krepost provides +15 XP for all new Land Units"

But later on in the manual it clearly says:
"A Russian Unique Building, it provides
+15 XP for all Land units and reduces the
Culture cost of buying new tiles by 50%."

I know from looking at screenshots of battles that combat bonuses are additive. +20% and -15% become +5%. I would assume that would remain consistent for other areas of the game, such as buildings or social policies.

For negative values, it seems logical it's the same way, so two times -50% means free upgrades.
Yes, I assume if multiple things are giving percentage discounts, then the designers would have made sure not to let their cumulative value be more than 100. If you've achieved -100% for unit upgrades then congratulations, click the button and upgrade your unit for 0 gold. But as far as I know only one player would be able to do this since the Pentagon is a world wonder.

I just checked in the manual, and Arabia have lost the Oil bonus!

I didnt notice that until now, I suppose that double oil was too powerful?

Top Bottom